Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help with prop selection

Hi Everyone

Let me start by introducing myself as a serious bass fisherman with a uncontroleable need to be the fastest. From what I've been reading I am in the right place.

I have a 20' Viper Bass boat that is well known to be very fast and some of the guys around here are running 85 Mph+ with 250's hanging on the back. I am only just touching 80Mph and I am looking for alot more if you guys can maybe help me with some advice.

Setup :

Yamaha 250 HPDI ( No wise cracks I know its not a Pro Max)
    6" Set Back with a 4" Land & Sea Hydraulic Bolted to the 6" Set Back
    Total of 10" Set Back
    Currently Running at 1" Below Pad
    The Pad is 8.5" Wide and is a B Pad with Negative Strakes and is at leat 2 feet infront of the Transom.

The First question I have is that when I am fully trimmed and running on the pad I am running a slower speed a when I am not fully trimmed and about 50% of the Hull in the water. Now I thought the more you can run out of the water the faster you should be

The difference between fully trimmed and not is about 6 Mph.

Props Tested so far

25' Yamaha Pro Series ( The best holeshot and tops at 80Mph)
    27' Trophy ( Venitilates too much at takeoff 76.2Mph)
    26' Trophy ( Venitilates too much at takeoff 78Mph)
    27' Renegade ( Venitilates too much at takeoff 77.5Mph)

This is a pic of me running fully trimmed at about 72 Mph

Any sugestions will be helpfull, Please tell me if you guys might need some pics of the pad and motor setup.

Cheers

Last edited by badbass; 04-22-2008 at 12:51 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    motor's too high,too much trim,maybe more setback,and try a Lightning ET,or Pro ET IMHO
    why ask me ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink Trim it down

I have set up all kinds of bass boats and it is obvious that you are over trimming the boat. If you use the gps as your guide, trim it to the best speed, trying to get the boat "up on the pad" is just making the attack angle too high and slowing you down. A prop with less bow lift can devote more HP to making your boat go forward instead of lifting it out of the water.

Kevin
    R&R Prop Shop
    702 564 7502

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the info, Kevin do you maybe have any suggestions as far as props go, I've been reading up on all the props available and have come to the conclusion that either a Yamaha Pro Series in a 27" might be the answer since I am already swinging the 25" at 6000 rpm's and the Yamaha prop with vents blasts out the hole much faster than the rest I have tested .The Yamaha makes the Horses at 5500 rpm's so I think I am running it past it's torque curve so might gain quite a bit of speed going to a 27".

Secondly I was looking at a Mazco RE propeller but I dont have any experience with these props and it will be a gamble importing one as far as pitch goes since I am in South -Africa. But from what I have been reading the Mazco and the Lightning ET seems to be the fastest props you can get out of the box.

Thirdly would be a Turbo TXP-OT4 and this is also the cheapest I gan get around here. And dont have to import it.