Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

71' Tahiti "Rebuild Thread"

Had a build thread on another forum, figured i would post here to see if i get more replies, the other site is a smaller forum. Here it is as it sits so far.

The boat is a 71' Tahiti clone of a Sidewinder.

Well, It has been in the upper 70's all week here in cali so i decided to pull off the cover and get busy on the boat. Decided to get the motor out so i could start up the "re-wire" on it, and boy does it need it! Looks like to monkeys played chinese jump rope with them. Figureing its going to be a month or so before i have the cash for the rebuild, i went down to my local Harbor Freight Tools and picked up a 1000lbs engine stand for a cool 39.99! I dont know if you canadians have them, but they are the best place to buy tools that you dont use to often. The quality isnt really the best, but if you only need to use the stuff every now and again, they have rock bottom prices. Well as far as pulling the motor, IT WAS A BREEZE. I had my father on the jack, and my girlfriend takeing pics and helping out as well. 25-30 minutes, not bad for pulling the motor out for the first time. Driveline looked pretty good, pump splines were in good shape, stringers looked solid, pretty good day so far. Then the gods aligned the stars in the shape of a pentagram and THIS happend. While pulling off the flywheel so i could mount the motor onto my stand, THE VERY LAST BOLT STIPPED!!!!! . I ran out of options, so i drilled out the grade 8 bolt and hammerd in an "EZ-out" and i figured i was in good shape......until the EZ-out snaped inside the @#$% BOLT! bash. Well that was the end of the day, had to go cool off and think about my next step.. I guess im gonna use my plasma cutter and try to blast out what is left of the head and then go from there.......god, what a crappy way to end the day. But i did get some good pics

To the victor goes the spoils!!

And now the broken bolt

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well.....I got the bolt out . Went at it with a plasma cutter little by little and cut of little chunks of the bolt head off. after about 10 minutes, she was done! As soon as i got the flywheel off, the stud was finger tight of coarse....i guess the bolt head had rusted to the flywheel. Well after that speed bump was taken care off, i started stripping the motor down and getting it ready for the machine shop. All and all the motor looks pretty good. A little rust, but it sat for a while before the last owner rebuilt it and i dont think he drained anything. Now that the motor is out, im gonna start the rewire process and start setting the boat up they way i like it. Now, pictures for you guys to check out.....

Well, thats all for now! Gonna start the rewire very soon. I just found a builder and sent the motor in for an inspection and estimate. Ill keep posting.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nice thread. That is a NICE looking hull. What is the degree vee of it??

What engine is that and what speeds were you doing?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, sidewinders are really nice looking boats. Many companys stole the hull design such as cobra jet, and tahiti, and many others.
    The engine is a 455 olds with berkley jet 12j combo. i had it topped out around 58-60 at 4000rpm. Not sure of the deg. of V, i never really measured yet, but its flattens out in stern quite a bit. Nothing close to an old flat bottom though .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sidewinder!!!!!

I THOUGHT SIDEWINDER WAS A SPLASH OF TAHITI ,BUT I WAS WRONG!!!http://www.fiberglassics.com/sidewinder/ THIS SITE HAS HISTORY OF MOST BOATS!!!! HERE,S YOUR TWIN!!!! HERE,S A LINK OF MY OLD RED TAHITIhttp://forums.screamandfly.com/forum...d.php?t=151753 GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR SIDEWINDER!!!!!!!!!!!!
    aka HAMMER!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are your plans for the 455?

I just took mine to the machine shop for a rebuild.....just seeing what others are doing.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crank turn, oil restrictors, high (pressure) oil pump, new lifters, new pushrods, new rings, deck the heads, valve grind, and larger cam. I should be getting the damage estimate tomarrow if all goes well. What are you thinking about doing?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Meling HV pump
    Oil restrictors
    ARP hardware
    Crower Beast Camshaft - 280/289 duration .450/.474 lift @ .50
    Harland Sharp 1.6 roller rockers
    Ported and polished G heads with 2.072 1.62 valves
    Cometic head gaskets
    Comp High energy pushrods
    TRW BBC forged pistons...should get me to 0 deck being that they are .020 taller then the Olds pistons ..or some speed pros if i have to deck the heads more then I want,the speed pros sit in the hole about .020
    Cloyes double roller timing chain set
    Holley Dominator intake
    BG Speed Demon 750cfm carb
    Moroso 12qt pan
    PRW main stud girdle

should end up around 467ci with 10.0:1 CR

....... and maybe a little bit of n2o if I feel the need
    Last edited by Sparkz28ss; 03-12-2008 at 10:14 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a really nice hull man.