Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

115 97 evinrude idle problems

my neighbor is having fuel problems,you pump the primer bulb till its tight,and it runs great for 2 minutes,then looses prime and stalls out.
    he has replaced the pump diaphram,check valve on the fuel tank was eliminated all new fuel filters also, i can't figure out wtf is wrong with this thing and i need to get working on my boat!
    any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You did not specify what type of engine this is, in 1997 OMC was still selling cross flow V-4's and loopers. The following year the cross flows were discontinued. All the same when it comes to fuel delivery problems to the engine.

First thing I would do is plug a six gallon portable fuel tank into the engine with different hose and primer bulb. This eliminates ALL of the current fuel system BEFORE the engine. If problem persists then a plugged hose on the engine or fuel pump is suspect. Carb needles can get gummy and fuel is forced in only when bulb is squeezed.

I have seen strange things over the years. Roach crawl into fuel line and die, blocking flow to the engine.
    1970 15' Allison/135 Chrysler stacker
    RC Mod-VP Boats

IMPBA District 13
    NAMBA District 3

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogdaddy View Post
    my neighbor is having fuel problems,you pump the primer bulb till its tight,and it runs great for 2 minutes,then looses prime and stalls out.
    It doesn't matter what brand or model of engine it is, you have a vacuum leak somewhere between the tank and fuel pump. You need to check and recheck every inch of hose between the two. It might be easier to replace all of it, including the bulb. Remember worm gear clamps can be your worst enemy if over tightened. They will crack the plastic barb fitting an even destroy the hose.

Trust me. You have a vacuum leak !

Don't forget the hoses and fittings under the cowl.