Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MTS1 View Post
    an optimax has never failed. seeing how noone even knows the problem, how can these insanly stupid things even be said?
    Because the person saying it is insanly stupid.

BRP is no longer part of the corparation that sells Lears and trains. They sold the recreational division several years ago to the Bombardiar family.

And guess what, they are profitable. Wow, sinking ship saved!

Why do you think the nickname for an optimax is optibomb? Cause they explode.

So get your head outa your butt and seek the truth. Optis blow up at the same rate as other 2 stroke DI outboards.

This guy is telling us that a re-manned powerhead was put on after the first blow up. That sounds to me like a dealer covering his butt. Because BRP wouldn't have used a re-man for a warranty job. My guess is the dealer realized he was responsible for the failure and put a re-man on it and then told the customer that it was a warranty fix.

He needs to run the serial number thru a different BRP dealer and they can pull up all the warranty work that has ever been done to it. If it truly was a re-man then you can bet it won't show up as a warranty claim.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neveredge View Post
    Because the person saying it is insanly stupid.

BRP is no longer part of the corparation that sells Lears and trains. They sold the recreational division several years ago to the Bombardiar family.

And guess what, they are profitable. Wow, sinking ship saved!

Why do you think the nickname for an optimax is optibomb? Cause they explode.

So get your head outa your butt and seek the truth. Optis blow up at the same rate as other 2 stroke DI outboards.

Profitable? I guess they keep finding suckers to believe their hype and that rediculous video. No maintenance or service for 3 years? Whatta crock-o-crap.

At least the Opti's are servicable, and Mercury Marine stands behind the product as long as a competent service tech is working on it. Not some hack off the street who's last job was working on airplanes.

I've never heard them referred to as an Optibomb, that's a first.
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trippin View Post
    Mercury Marine stands behind the product
    Wow....I can tell you, after I saw how Mercury treated a member of their own Pro-Team a few weeks ago on a gearcase issue, I don't know if I'd be believing that or not. Yes, in the end they do support their product, but it was an uphill battle all the way to get his issues resolved and get him back on the water for his tournament.

Had a 250ProXS blow up on the initial dealer prep ride, prior to delivery to customer. Mercury sent a new, long block powerhead, that arrived 2 weeks later. Then, when a faulty injector was blamed for the failure, took another 2 weeks to get an injector. I'm really surprised the owner still took delivery of the boat.

They all blow up, if you think differently, then spend some time in a shop and see what rolls through the door. And I'm not talking about a shop that ONLY fixes one brand...Hell, if the shop only works on Yamahas it is little wonder you'll never see a blown Merc or BRP product in there....lol

How are the Opti's any more serviceable than the other brands? You have the air compressor and air lines to get in the way, plus air injectors, and the bottom spark plugs that you can not get out with the right extension and universal elbow adaptor.

If you've never heard of OptiBomb, or OptiPop, then you weren't paying attention to the Opti's when they came out...Why do you think consumers were (and still are) scared of 98-99 Optis.

I'm not bashing any product, they are all about the same anymore, the main difference is what your dealer sells, services, and is familiar with. I really think that you have not spent any time with the other products and therefore, do not have an answer to this gentlemans question. Why turn this into a pissin match about who's Wheaties taste better, when we should be trying to help with this engine's issue or what can be done to help him get on the water and enjoy the product he has spent a lot of money on?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok yeah back to the original problem............

if it was a 175 etec, there should have been no reman powerhead, brp would have sent a new one, what caused the failure, what was it doin prior to the failure?were the injectors put back in the right hole after the first failure, are the oil line clear and not kinked anywhere? are there any codes present? was the original injector clean and not damaged from the first failure?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trippin View Post
    Get rid of the ETEC and replace it with an Opti. If you want DI reliability in a two stroke then Optimax is the way to go. BRP needs to stick with PWC's, ATV's, Airplanes and trains. Dump the boat motor line, quit trying to save a sinking ship. The ship started sinking with VRO, FICHT, now ETEC.
    Tell us how you really feel
    I'm currently boatless

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spend plenty of time in a shop thanks, more than I'd like. I do see/have seen just about everything that is available. I'm not trying to turn this into a pissing match. I'm expressing my opinion about a product on the market that I do not endorse.

While I can appreciate the public perception about the 98-99 Optipops, that in itself is a 9 year old problem. How old is the ETEC line, should'nt they have a better reputation by now?

Incidentally, what is the operating voltage on an ETEC's fuel injector circuit?
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trippin, your still trippin. They don't claim no maintanance for 3 years. IT IS NO SCHEDULED DEALER MAINTANCE FOR 3 YEARS. Big difference. You still have to grease a few points and some other small details but you don't have to change the water pump or lower unit oil for 3 years of average use.

The Mercs are having a lot of problems with the NEW 300XS and 250XS. They are addressing the issues just as BRP is adressing the issues with the Etecs.

As far as hacks working on airplanes. Dang you sure are dumb. A & Ps are some of the highest paid and highly skilled mechanics on the planet. Any A & P with just a little proper training could work on any of these new DI outboards without any trouble.

Have you ever seen the wiring harness on a 747? I have. It ain't pretty. If you can find a gremlin in there then some puny outboard ain't nothin.

As far as profitablity, they are profitable now. And the commercials are very funny. And accurate. You just don't like it.

So next time you make a post think about what you are typing before you type it.

One last thing. The Etec 250 H.O. is tearing up the Mercs in Aussie ski racing. Are you gonna say that isn't true either? Etec just set some records that Merc has held for a couple of years. Whatta ya think about that?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing, I do not get any money from BRP. Hell, the demo boat I just sold, plus the one I have coming, both are powered with a 250ProXS, and I have a 225 Promax on my workbench now to put on a play boat.

When I purchased my boat, I needed the motor that I believed would get me to the fish and back to weigh in, week in and week out, every time, without fail...My rig has only left me on the water 1 time in almost 2 years of ownership. That was the only tournament I missed due to engine issues. I had an injector lean out and take out the powerhead. Dropped the boat off on a Monday, picked it up ready to roll the following Monday, with a new powerhead and new adapter plate.

I don't have a clue what the voltage is on the injector circuit of the Etec, that's for the guys that work on my boat to know. What I do know is what I see rolling in and out of the door, why it is rolling in and out, and what people in the real world have to say about their motors.

BRP unfortunately is trying to overcome the stigma of the OMC trials and tribulations. The Etec is just as good as any of the other offerings out there right now, within it's application. Is it right for a STV? No. But put it on the back of a Ranger, Triton, Larson, Scarab, etc and see how they fare.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shawn I like ya man, but i think ya bumped your head. The 250xs and 300xs have been some of the most reliable newly introduced models merc has ever had. I have heard of only a couple powerhead failures and a lower unit in all of internetdom on those things. bad news travels fast on these forums and you know darn well we'd know about it if it were common. I wouldn't call the Etecs junk at all, but they are far from perfect as the infommercials would have you believe. I automatically question something that has to be hyped up so much in order to be sold.
    I'm currently boatless

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok, who right now makes a motor...........

in production that is right for an STV? im guessin 300xs or 250 xs?250 ho etec?what else is there?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MTS1 View Post
    in production that is right for an STV? im guessin 300xs or 250 xs?250 ho etec?what else is there?

I think Yammy still makes the 250 vmax and zuki is trying awfually hard to get people to think their 250 ss is a perf motor
    I'm currently boatless

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As big a fan as I am of the mercs, BRP is making a really good motor too. I was in a shop two weeks ago where a guy was getting ready to replace the 250 etec he had on his transom with a new 300. The motor they were taking off had 1600 hours on it and other than some minor gearcase issues (he runs off shore tournaments and runs them pretty hard), the motor was still running strong. I got this from the mechanic (not a BRP mechanic) who was working on the boat and has maintained it since new, not from the owner.

3 motors in a couple of years sounds really unusual from what I am heard and seen of the etecs; I would think there is some other gremlin in there. Good luck, I am sure once you get it sorted you will be very happy with your motor.

96' STV Euro

Smarta$$ of the
    Sunshine Syndicate,

How to upload pics (click here)

Quote Originally Posted by jphii View Post
    Well then, give her a $50 bottle of booze and don't let her know about the hookers, or what you spend on them
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BadAction View Post
    oh no. i just realized I am the voice of reason on a thread. i am so done, RIP 1Bad.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NNT View Post
    Shawn I like ya man, but i think ya bumped your head. The 250xs and 300xs have been some of the most reliable newly introduced models merc has ever had.
    Hmmm.. A friend of mine who is a Service manager at a large Southern wisconsin Merc Dealer told me in early 2007 "if it wasnt for the Optimax they would have nothing to do."
    2006 Action Marine Comp
    1980 Ventrua 2

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NNT View Post
    Shawn I like ya man, but i think ya bumped your head. The 250xs and 300xs have been some of the most reliable newly introduced models merc has ever had. I have heard of only a couple powerhead failures and a lower unit in all of internetdom on those things. bad news travels fast on these forums and you know darn well we'd know about it if it were common. I wouldn't call the Etecs junk at all, but they are far from perfect as the infommercials would have you believe. I automatically question something that has to be hyped up so much in order to be sold.
    They are having problems and Merc is addressing them as they should. Do some research. There just aren't as many Merc bashers out there. Also a lot of the BRP failure reports are from people flat out lying. Not saying this guy is lying cause I don't think he is but something is fishy about the re-manned powerhead.

The Etec were hyped to overcome the OMC reputation and they are marketed at 4 strokes which makes the marketing seem a bit wild. Fact is that the comparisons between the etec and the 4 strokes is accurate. We owe this hype a debt of grattitude or we would all be forced to run 4 strokes by now as that is where the manufacturers were dragging us. That hype turned the tables and has forced Merc and Yamaha to stay in the 2 stroke biz.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not as many Merc bashers!!!!???!!!! Cmon man, you been on FS forum, those yammyheads bash at evrery chance and the brp/omc guys help when they can lol try going to the contiuous wave aka continuousetec site and just watch the BRP love and Merc bashathons take place lol
    I'm currently boatless

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast