Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

250 Ho E-tec L2 Gear Case, Thoughts?

Hello gentleman, just wondering what the evinrude/johnson fans, (not the other guys who are haters), are thinkiong 2008 will be like with the new 250 ho and the L2 gear case in the whole ho lineup. See i have some great info that is not for public eyes, but what are you guys, the consumers,the enigineers and the pros thinking? With brp putting alot of money into the gears, the driveshaft and in the lower unit housing, things should be great for people who want to elevate their high performance e-tec, and people that have worrys about durability. This gear and driveshaft package should be,hopefully the cure for the issues in the past and really elevate a great motor into super stardom. Im so confident that i ordered a ho etec with out even having a hull to use it on yet, i wanted the white stars and stripes color combo but since mine is free i had to get the boring blue, oh well. But seriously what are you folks thinking and for the mercury motor customers are any of you gonna roll the dice and come to our side, or stay on the dark side. I know that the opti and etec are the best motors in their category but prefer the blue/white, but honestly merc guys with out bashing the brp will you give it a chance or stay loyal, im not starting stuff just honestly asking. i could care less i like both and like i have previously posted all of this rivalry will just help the consumer get the best motors that are made, period.......THE GIANTS ACTUALLY WON, HOW AWESOME.....IM A PACKER GUY FROM WISCONSIN SO SINCE THEY BEAT US WE ARE ALL HAPPY IN CHEESE LAND......

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    could care either way but i think the etec cowl is less atractive than the merc opti cowls but far better than the yami/verado 4 joke offerings

4-16-2014. 25 years old today... the fishin boat doesnt look to bad for a classic does she

things that were are no longer as they are today...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Etec

With the great future potential of the Etec, a performace gearcase and gear choices is a big plus. I was forced to set my powerhead on a custom mid to bolt up to a merc sporty. I just blew too many of the old OMC lowers. It been a long hard road to do what I have done. The choices you are providing will help others avoid all the work and extra $ I have went through. Now that BRP is offering performace gearcases and gear choices, All we need now is a Race ECU for RPM. I can only imagine the potential of the Etec in a race version. Now that would sell !!!
    2005 TRIAD STV EURO
    421 HP OMC 3.3 EFI by STOKER
    16" Taylor mid, Merc sporty

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey inspector, i have a close relationship with BRP, yet when i ask about johnson and a race or perf. division, all i get are shrugged shoulders, any opinions on that?? i think the johnson name is too widely known too let fade out, a buddy from brp and i were talking that maybe just making the white saltwaters e-tecs johnsons, or the race division johnson, definitely shouldnt make it the ugly 4 stroke little brother though,kind of defeats all advertising, i guess its like merc/mariner,kind of faded away, but johnson is like apple pie, we cant let it fade away, brannon

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm currently boatless

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bworner View Post
    ...i think the johnson name is too widely known too let fade out, ...
    Agreed.

Remember, BRP own Rotax. Rotax is making some incredible 4S engines for snowmobiles and motorcycles. It's not hard to believe that Johnson wil rise from the ashes with a whole new product line of 4S engines.

Personally, I'm surprised that Evinrude went after the the "top end" of the maker with the 250HO and 300. They still have not filled in the bottom end.

The 40HP is really too heavy based on a the 883cc block. They really need two smaller 3 cyl blocks. One for 7.5-10, one for 15-25 HP and another for 25-45 HP. I gues the last could be a triple off of the smaller pistons.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the small etecs are being completed and tested as we speak, and from what my rep said the 25/30 will kill the competition, the 40/50/60 are within a couple pounds of the old carbed 2 stroke mercs and like i have previously posted they have a heavier duty lower unit in size, more electronics and etc....a 40 etec will smoke a 50 carbed 2 stroke in real world testing, from what i have seen, and thats a 10 hp dis advantage, thats on pontoons and small fishing boats.....and just blows the competitions 4 strokes away,,,,,,,AND THE STUPID TROLL SPRAY IS RETARDED, I DONT LAUGH AND POST RETARDED THINGS WHEN GUYS TALK ABOUT THEIR IDIOTIC POSTS ABOUT ANTIQUE MOTORS THAT ARE SUPPOSEDLY SO SUPERIOR TO THE NEW DFI TECHNOLOGY....SO WHY BE SO LOW??????? THE TROLL....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 150aintenuff View Post
    could care either way but i think the etec cowl is less atractive than the merc opti cowls but far better than the yami/verado 4 joke offerings

from a guy who repairs things point of view I would rather have a etec cowling, much easier to repair.

I dont believe they fly off as easy either

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    E-Tec 40HP is one of the heaviest outboards for its size

Evinrude E-Tec 40 240lbs
    Yamaha 4S F40 183 lbs
    Nissan TLDI 40 206 lbs
    Mercury 4S 40 216 lbs
    Suzuki DF40 243 lbs

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What ratios are they going to offer in the new case, and can you surface it without problems? Matt

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, I'm an Evinrude guy thru and thru so my criticism is out of love not hate.

"THE NEW GEARCASE IS NOT ON PAR WITH THE MERC SPORTY"

It is a very nice case and on many boats it will be faster than the sporty. But to say it is gonna live being fully surfaced is just dreams at this stage.

As far as the Johnson name, it is my understanding that Seaway Marine has the rights to use it on their racing engines, which I'm sure BRP is privy too.

Whether or not BRP stops using it Seaway will continue to legally.

I don't believe for a moment that you know anyone who actually knows anything about what is coming down the pike. The reason I say this is because if you did you wouldn't be making such dumb posts about what and who you supposedly know. Especially about gearcases.

Funny thing is that some people on here actually do know about some of the projects going on, it's just not you bworner.

As for you getting a free 250 H.O. , might it be a demo from the dealership you work for? I doubt they are giving you a motor free and clear. One other thing, the 250 H.O. isn't even available in white yet for the 20" motor. I guess you top secret contact didn't tell you that.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have tried to run BRP motors on a couple of occassions (2003 225ho and 2006 225ho) and I am not getting sucked in again. BRP IMO is just throwing hp at the same old crapy outboard. Sure the 3.3 E-tec powerhead is an awsome piece, I don't dispute that, but the rest of the motor is junk. They are using the same old floppy, rubber motor mounts, that have been in those motors for decades. If you check, the part number for the top mount on a 2008 250ho, it will be the same as a 1995 150. As far as this "new" gearcase goes, even if it does live, the water pickups are still in the wrong spot, and it should not be compared to a Sportmaster yet. If BRP wants to join the performance market (and I hope they do) they need to put more engineering in the rest of the motor, to compliment that powerhead.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I agree mostly with what you say about Merc still having the edge in mid section and gearbox design over BRP, but I am sorry your claim about the mounts are false. The P/N for the top mount on the 1995 150HP is 436853 and for the new 250HO E-TEC 20 inch the top mount is 984468. In fact this mount is only for the 20 inch, with the 25 and 30 inch engines having a differnet P/N again, so I imagine the L/S mount is probably stiffer than the 25 and 30 inch design.

As mentioned B4 here in OZ the 250HO E-TEC are proving that they are good power choices when compared to the OPTI 250XS and the cool thing I think is that BRP are offering the 250HP HO a 3 year warranty while the OPTI gets none. If I was going racing that would be a tick in the Evinrude box.

I have been lucky enough to run the 300HP E-TEC on a couple of boats and it was an impressive engine and even though I have not run a 250HO from talking to the guys that are in the ski race scene this engine is also a good package.

Cheers,

Huey.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I appologize, that statement was indeed, incorrect. BUT....... I did get a chance to check quickly, and it is the same as the 2006 225ho I use to own, and IMO, that still makes it a piece of sh t.

Also, I was wondering why you claim Mercury doesn't offer warrenty on the 250xs?

Home time, gotta go.

Dave

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Merc won't warranty the 250XS when it is used for racing, Evinrude will.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast