Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holly fuel pump power hookup?

Guys,
    Is there any problem in hooking up the power to a Holley electric fuel pump to the power wire for all the guages, which turn on with the key? The pump only pulls about 3 Amps. If I could do it this way it sure would be a lot easier since my gas tank is in the bow of my Vector. Or should I run new wires and a relay all the way to the back where the battery is.

Thanks.
    Brent
    1996 Allison GSE /200XS
    1977 Hydrostream Ventura / 150 Mariner MAG III

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You really should run a wire and a relay. The stock wiring is not made to handle an electric fuel pump. The pump can actually run slower than it should producing too little volume. We all know what that leads too.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like John Said............

Get a relay for that fuel pump and put a fuse on the relay control circuit (coil) from your gauge power wiring (switched purple) and fuse or put a circuit breaker of suitable amperage in the pump power circuit. You can mount the relay up front near the pump, but I would go with 6 or 8 gauge wire directly from the battery or battery disconnect switch back there to the relay pump power circuit. I built a relay box for the EFI pump in my boat and it sets within a foot of the battery and the pump. Something to think about.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fuel pump relay1.jpg  
    Wayne

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Hey!

MTCHM, where did you get that box...... I like that!

I'm with y'all on the relay and the over sized wire. I hooked on up on a guy's Baja with a V8. I used a trim relay for newer OMC. I think it was made by Bosche.
    [img]http://www.************.com/AdminSite/ImageUploads/med_BP_6_10_2002_62408_PM.jpg[/img]

Forkin' Crazy[img]//www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/rolleyes/rolleyes02.gif[/img]

A friend will come bail you out of jail.........but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn........we fu@#ed up!"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Box

FC,

You can get them boxes at Radio Shack. They just electronic "project" boxes. A couple of bucks I think. Use gasket sealer or silicone to make them water-tight or splash-tight if you need to. Works for me.
    Wayne

tombrown Guest
    I may be misinterpreting the original post but I wouldn't want a fuel pump in the bow of my boat. The pump and high pressure lines in front of it belong in the bilge.

A trigger wire and relay aren't that tough to install. You won't regret doing it right.

Good luck,

Tom Brown

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice guys, I will go with the relay.
    Tombrown, the reason I was thinking of the pump in the bow is that my gas tank is in the bow and I have read that it is much better to push the fuel than to pull. Is that right? Or should the pump go in the bilge even though it would be approx 10 feet from the gas tank. I will only be running 3-4psi on a 1981 225 carb merc, not exactly high pressure.
    Thanks,
    Brent
    1996 Allison GSE /200XS
    1977 Hydrostream Ventura / 150 Mariner MAG III

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how about killing it?

we always rig a kill switch for the fuel pump so if you get tossed it will shut the pump off too. another thought is many times we need ignition but not fuel so you need a seperate system. i know this is only a ski boat and dont need a kill switch. wrong if you run much over 60 mph you need a kill switch and a fuel kill also mount em side by side and join the lanyards together. the fuel kill switch is best hooked so that you break the neg side of the fuel pump.
    just my two worth

Danny
    Grandfather
    of the Sunshine Syndicate