Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

?'s about a 21 - 23' UPDATE new ?'s

New ?'s

Ok, my research has pushed me towards a 23 - 24' Mid-Cabin Open Bow. These manufacturers have moved towards the top of the list:

Ultra
    Carrera
    Lavey
    Advantage
    Hallet
    Sleek
    Magic
    Nordic
    Eliminator

New ?'s

1) I'm getting some feedback that says a 496 is much preferable to a 454. The boats I'm looking at are 2000 or newer and falling into the 28 - 32K range. Opinions on those motors or others?

2) Are there manufacturers that I should be looking at that I am not?

3) What kind of financing options will I have, credit is good but not stellar, on a purchase like this? Insurance?

Thanks again for you input. Are there any other forums I could check for this type of info?

v/r

Dwayne
    Alright, I'm the FNG from San Antonio, TX. I'm doing research on a new to me boat. I was raised in San Diego and we spent a good amount of time at Fisher's Landing on the river. Thus my love for a river style boat. I had a 19' Miller Unlimited with a 115 Mercury on it and it was fantastic. Now I have 5 kids and we're looking for family fun that will run 60 and pull skiers all day.

I'm looking at boats like an Ultra, Carrera, Eliminator, Caliber, Magic, Advantage, etc. Open bow. The questions:

Is it reasonable to expect an outboard fulfill this expectation?

I'm thinking an outdrive would fit the bill best here since most of our time will be spent on Texas lakes with an occasional trip to the river. I learned to ski behind a Tahiti with a 454 and a Berkely pump, what do I need to know about this drive system?

Engines - if I don't find the outboard what should I go with? 5.7, 6.2, 7.1? I'm wondering about fuel mileage v performance?

I'm looking at everything from a '94 23 foot Ultra to a 2003 Magic -opinions on hulls? Vee or Tunnel

I'm trying to keep this under $25K so most of the boats are mid - late 90's. Any concerns with these boats?

Thanks for taking the time!

v/r

Dwayne Scates
    Last edited by scated; 01-24-2008 at 12:35 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An outboard is a great choice to run 60+ and pull skiiers all day. On the other hand, if you want to seat 5 kids and two adults, you are limiting your choices.

You might need a 250 or a 300 to be happy with performance on a 23 foot boat.

If you go inboard, get a big block.

Fuel economy, jets worst, outboards best. At least for skiing and going fast.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carrera builds a great boat. We were a dealer for a while
    Johnny Saris
    Driver-441 32 Cobra
    Saris Racing Engines
    World and National Champions
    www.facebook.com/TeamSaris

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

carrera

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">my inlaws r selling a 1of a kind carrera its a 27ft with twin 225 optimax with top of the line everything. the boat is a 2005! they paid 89,000 and theyre selling it for 65,000.
    </TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bump - new ?'s

New ?'s

Quote Originally Posted by scated View Post
    New ?'s

Ok, my research has pushed me towards a 23 - 24' Mid-Cabin Open Bow. These manufacturers have moved towards the top of the list:

Ultra
    Carrera
    Lavey
    Advantage
    Hallet
    Sleek
    Magic
    Nordic
    Eliminator

New ?'s

1) I'm getting some feedback that says a 496 is much preferable to a 454. The boats I'm looking at are 2000 or newer and falling into the 28 - 32K range. Opinions on those motors or others?

2) Are there manufacturers that I should be looking at that I am not?

3) What kind of financing options will I have, credit is good but not stellar, on a purchase like this? Insurance?

Thanks again for you input. Are there any other forums I could check for this type of info?

v/r

Dwayne
    Alright, I'm the FNG from San Antonio, TX. I'm doing research on a new to me boat. I was raised in San Diego and we spent a good amount of time at Fisher's Landing on the river. Thus my love for a river style boat. I had a 19' Miller Unlimited with a 115 Mercury on it and it was fantastic. Now I have 5 kids and we're looking for family fun that will run 60 and pull skiers all day.

I'm looking at boats like an Ultra, Carrera, Eliminator, Caliber, Magic, Advantage, etc. Open bow. The questions:

Is it reasonable to expect an outboard fulfill this expectation?

I'm thinking an outdrive would fit the bill best here since most of our time will be spent on Texas lakes with an occasional trip to the river. I learned to ski behind a Tahiti with a 454 and a Berkely pump, what do I need to know about this drive system?

Engines - if I don't find the outboard what should I go with? 5.7, 6.2, 7.1? I'm wondering about fuel mileage v performance?

I'm looking at everything from a '94 23 foot Ultra to a 2003 Magic -opinions on hulls? Vee or Tunnel

I'm trying to keep this under $25K so most of the boats are mid - late 90's. Any concerns with these boats?

Thanks for taking the time!

v/r

Dwayne Scates