Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    12' down never heard of that one. I know people on the Mississippi that sucked up clam shells at 2' at idle but thats about it. I thought most intakes had grates over them anyway.

I see nobody described the looser feel a jet has when it's up on top of the water running compared to a prop boat. Or how waves seem to up set jets more than a prop boat. That I didn't care for, other wise they can be fun depending upon the impeller cut and your horespower. Gas consumption is the biggest drawback IMO.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Loose feel? I find it to be just the opposite in a jet I've driven 4 different old school jets and they all felt glued to the water at speed. as far as being hard on fuel, we can spend an entire day tubing and messing around on 24 gallons. not bad considering the fun factor with a 400 horsepower boat.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would also have to argue about the 12' thing. If that were the case our boats would have big problems as more often than not the water we launch and run in is NEVER 12 feet lol

With a good rock grate and an SS impeller jetboats(ones with "full size" pumps anyway) can handle an incredible amount of abuse. All one needs to do is look at what the alloy boats get put through to see this.
    We certainly see the odd hull through our service department come in to have dents etc beaten out of it but you would be very surprised at the number of jetpumps we rebuild in a year(or rather that we don't rebuilt in a year)

Contrary to popular belief aluminum hull guys are NOT constantly rebuilding their pumps. Even the Mercury Sportjet packages have proven extremely durable in harsh shallow water conditions, and if anyone knows that its us haha

Cheers

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When it comes to modern day jet units...

There's lots of well meaning folk who have no idea what they are talking about...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a 16ft.Tahiti LS6 454/450 HP with electratrim and it was the best boat for all around fun I've ever had.I ran it on the ST.Johns River in the smooth or rough.You have your limits and they increase with experience.I'd take it to the ocean when there was a 3' roll and get air for 4-5 seconds.Iv'e crossed land with it on several ocassions.It ran 75mph with a 350hp,402 @ 5600 with a B impeller.I loved it.The outboards are cheaper to run and faster for your money.I wish I had never sold it.With Gas prices up you'll surely pay to play.Oh and I won all spray wars and have blown some windshields off boats that they would run though the tail thinking it would be fun.I could run in 6"s of water wide open.They are what they are and it's not economical thats for damn sure.this is the only pic anymore,1976

A sister boat like mine but not as fast with my big motor
    Last edited by Racemore; 01-23-2008 at 07:05 PM.

Lord help us.
    racemore01@comcast.net

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ssent View Post
    12' down never heard of that one. I know people on the Mississippi that sucked up clam shells at 2' at idle but thats about it. I thought most intakes had grates over them anyway.

I see nobody described the looser feel a jet has when it's up on top of the water running compared to a prop boat. Or how waves seem to up set jets more than a prop boat. That I didn't care for, other wise they can be fun depending upon the impeller cut and your horespower. Gas consumption is the biggest drawback IMO.
    I think they a way more stable in waves and no prop torque,flies straight.I know made jumps JAME BOND hasn't.Iv'e been head high with the driver on the bridge of a 45' sports fisherman after hitting his lead wake at 50mph.Im saying about 12-14 ft high on a 50' jump.cake.

Lord help us.
    racemore01@comcast.net

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ssent View Post
    Let me clarify my statement. From my experience side rollers & side waves make the jet boat tend to rock and roll a little more than say a prop boat when up and running on top of the water. Since there is no lower unit in the water to help stabalize sideways motion especially on a v-bottom. Like when your crossing somebodys wake or hitting sideways waves. As far as the glued to the water statement that mnjettr said I'll agree to that as long as there is no side waves to rock the boat, cause they don't ride as high on top of the wave without the lift of a prop. I think the pumps tend to unload and load more than say a prop boat running in heavy chop. In the early 80s around here jet boats were all the rage. I've been in my share of them.
    Last edited by ssent; 01-24-2008 at 02:39 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Loose feel and weird handling characteristics? That all comes down to hull design. Don't want your pump unloading in chop, get a boat with deeper deadrise. As has been stated before, alot of ppl have either had bad experiences with early, old or poorly set up boats, or worse, have had their mates tell them why their prop is better without even having been in one!!!

I'll agree that the gas bill that comes with the Merc Sportjets or pumps that have been adapted to larger craft from ski's is pretty large (a 240EFI sport jet can suck as much fuel as a 400hp Chev).

Maintenance on a jet is way easier and cheaper. There are fewer parts in a jet, and the full size pumps have NO gearbox to destroy. Engine maintenance is as simple as it is on your truck or muscle car.

Sucking debris at 12'? Maybe 12". If you are worrying about sediment in your cooling water then run the water from the off-take through a sand trap, anything that can get past the sand trap will get through anything else to find its way out. Most pumps have grills, the ones we make have a 3/8 gap between the bars, so no golf balls are going in there.

Safety, nothing like swimming around the back of the boat when there is no macerator to chew you up and spit you out. This doesn't mean it you're driving that you can throttle hard on swimmers though, most operating is fine, but I had a client once that thought he'd be funny and blast the bikini off his girlfriend in the water, mashed the gas hard and blew her bikini alright, she came up all black and blue down one side, so common sense is still required.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No way dude, what about those sprint guys who fly around shallow rivers in as shallow as 6" of water. Check out You Tube and search "not all boats are made the same"

Either way Clueless, if you are still in the market, and not allready made your purchase. Then hear me out. I was in your same predictament. I was willing to spend up to 30k on a boat and did all my research. took into account how many times a year I will use it, and factored in the monthly payment. Now you say you will go in parts with your brother---Hope that works out for you---The new Yamahas are awsome! As are the Sea doo's.
    But, if your are like me, a family man who still needs that thrill. You would be much better off with an 21ft or larger Big Block?/Berkely or dominator jet. Stay away from jacuzzie's. Reason being, if you blow the jet, max. $3k. If you blow the motor, same thing, max $3k for repairs. Now before everybody gets all crazy, I am talking about a nice mild motor, not some screamer. If he is looking for a Yamaha, then He won't appreciate the care and maintenance in a kick ass motor. No offense Clueless.

Now, you also have to look at it from this point. The yamaha and sea doo sounds like a sooped up honda or Toyota. There is no substitute for the deep rumbble of a V-8. Also, I am sure you have seen all those other boats with their knarley rooster tails, well that is only half of it. The other half is you get much more control of the boat, because now you can control where you want the bow of your boat to be. The Yamaha and sea doo do not offer this. If your family is anything like mine. They won't ski, only tube. Well, the place diverter helps alot with this, by pointing the thrust down, and mainting a safe visual in front of you, as well as minimum water thrust to the "tuber".

Being that you are "not too mechanically inclined", I would stay with a newer style of boat, but not too new. Some of these new Hallet and Carreras are going for way too much money. Some upwards of $60k.
    Sorry, but that is insane. My Sequoia Platnum was not even that much.

The point I am trying to make, is be smart about it, and do lots of research. Look through Ebay, Boat trader, and google boat sales. Get a solid idea of what you want, and have it inspected as well as appraised. This will help you out later, should any problems come up and when you go to insure it.

Personally, I am a mechanic. I have a 19ft Hawaiian mini daycruiser with a hot motor and all the bells and whistles. And I have a 21ft Kona Daycruiser with a 455 Olds to a Berkeley. Both boats are great, a blast to drive, and yes they do suck up some gas, but you know what, unless you use it more than 6 times a year, the gas is worth it. I agree with the other guy, people will "jock" you, and druel all over it. But that is half the game.

Another factor is you can get warranty with the Yamaha or Sea doo. And believe me, you can bet on getting ripped off at most boat repair shops. Unless you have a personal relationship with them, sorry, but there aren't too many honest people out there anymore.

Good luck, and most importantly, have fun with what ever you get. This hobby is just not worth it, unless you are having a blast! Cheers!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking Just Remember The Old School Jet Boat Factor!

http://
    This could be you!
    Lol - Lol - Lol
    Last edited by WICKEDRISTER; 03-01-2008 at 09:16 PM.

Southern Hotboater

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advantages of Jet Boats?

I like Jets

V-king jet boat
    Seadoo speedster 200 310hp
    Hole shot http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y16...t=MOV00922.flv

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Noah1
    I love your Hydrostream. Is that beauty a one off or did they offer a jet? Is it BBC with a Berkley drive?
    Last edited by WICKEDRISTER; 03-02-2008 at 08:55 PM.

Southern Hotboater

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the complement Wickedrister.
    This was a prototype Hydrostream V-King jet boat & was never put into production.
    There were 2 made & this is the only V-King left.
    The boat has a 460 Ford 390- 400 hp with a panther jet.
    We (Jim & son Noah) have thought about changing motor - pump. But we decided to leave it the way it is.
    The top end is only 62. I hope to get 65 out of it this summer. With different ride plate.
    The 0 to 62 is unbelievable.

V-king jet boat

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Noah1 View Post
    Thanks for the complement Wickedrister.
    This was a prototype Hydrostream V-King jet boat & was never put into production.
    There were 2 made & this is the only V-King left.
    The boat has a 460 Ford 390- 400 hp with a panther jet.
    We (Jim & son Noah) have thought about changing motor - pump. But we decided to leave it the way it is.
    The top end is only 62. I hope to get 65 out of it this summer. With different ride plate.
    The 0 to 62 is unbelievable.
    I think the 2nd one is in Ontario Canada at John Speath's(?) Or at least he would probably know where it went. I remember seeing it for sale or something when I lived out there. Def a cool looking hull OB or jet. If we could build something that looked like that in aluminum I would have one in 2 seconds!

Cheers

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was a Vegas for sale a while back.

V-king jet boat

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast