Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advantages of Jet Boats?

Hey All,

First time on the site and I wanted some general info on jet boats. I am definitely buying a boat this upcoming holiday, and I want some advice. I am not very mechanically orientated yet have worked on and around outboard engine boats at a summer camp for 5 years. I have looked at the Yamaha 23 foot jet boats and want to know more about jet boats and the advantages/disadvantages that comes along with owning one. Are they expensive to repair? How are they reliability wise/gas wise? Are they hard to find a marina to fix them? I have $25,000 to spend and plan to use it with my brother alot for day cruising and wake/ski/tube. Anything and everything you have to say about them whether it be positive or negative would be greatly appreciated!

-Cluelessguy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slow and thirsty. Here is a thread on the subject.

http://forums.screamandfly.com/forum...&highlight=jet

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would avoid a jet unless you dont mind a very costly day on the water due to inefficiencies. jets lose like 30% percent.

Plus youll have 2 of them not just one, it gives me a headach just thinking about it.

25,000 will get you a real nice and much much faster outboard setup.

if you want decent speed and nice ride look at used checkmates

If you want real fast and not too comfy look at a hydrostream

Do not buy a Bayliner

and please post up on this thread before you buy anything we can help you avoid a mistake

good luck
    Azure AZ259, 8.1

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the help! Gas mileage is a big concern id say...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tell ya bud they all suck on gas!

have a 800 hp jet boat as we speak and it sucks as much fuel as my old hi-po mercury did!
    crazy thing is my mirage was 5 mph slower than my jet! butt this is not the jet that u are speaking of.

if ya like speed and run all over the lake man I think the triad v-21 is awesome!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A friend of mine has a AR230 yamaha jetboat and he loves it!!Never has it been in the shop. I believe it tops out at 55 mph.As far as the skiing and wakeboarding his yamaha pulls great.Now the only thing he hates is that the ski rope gets sucked up in the jet pumps all the time!!!!!Pumps are always sucking water even when you are not moving.
    Good luck with your purchase.
    David
    all about the go fast with no tickets

19 ft nordic pickle fork

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to offend anyone but be careful who you ask this question to.

There are alot of people out there who will slam jets but really have not have much expereince with them at all. Like any boat there are good jets and bad jets and some which will suit your needs better than others. Its unfortunate but I often see people slam jets who have only had limited exposure to them and exposure to "bad" jetboats to boot.

For a list of some of the major differences between jets and whatever variety of prop drive you want to consider...

Jets:

have fewer moving parts and generally involve far less maintenenace.

(To outright replace an entire jetpump is often less expensive than even rebuilding a lower unit or sterndrive)

are safer for swimmers/skiers as there are no moving parts outside the boat

can provide better holeshot and can be more effective at pulling up skiers etc

can run shallow water with no fear of drive/prop damage

can be far more manuverable (once an operator learns to drive one)

again be safer due to the ability to shift the boat into reverse at full throttle

Dissadvantages, as have been stated, can be:

fuel economy: altho this can be misleading depending on what engine/drive you are considering, there are many options out there and the often quoted "Berkeley/454" combo is hardly the norm these days in modern jetboats

Efficency: which is really the same as fuel economy.

rough water usage-on a boat which frequently leaves the water a jet can be awkward as you lose thrust when the intake isn't sucking water i.e. not good offshore

weed injestion. many jets take precautions to avoid this issue but in some environments weeds can be a headache.

We build very modern performance oriented jetboats and while we do not have anything in that price range new I would encourage you to read up and get more oppionions on a wide variety of jetboats before you make your choice.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Jet vs. Old Jet

Sounds to me like a big block old school day cruiser should fill the bill just fine! The question is do want a modern dime a dozen 2 smoke boat or an old school hot rod jet boat? To hell with how much gas it drinks, the cool factor of an old big block jet is worth the price of fuel to run it. You can buy a near show quality old school jet boat for way less than your wanting to spend

"Just my II cents"
    Last edited by WICKEDRISTER; 03-01-2008 at 09:01 PM.

Southern Hotboater

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jets and safety

Quote Originally Posted by Xerophobic View Post
    are safer for swimmers/skiers as there are no moving parts outside the boat

No moving parts, but the jet wash can be very dangerous if it catches someone the wrong way. Ever notice the sticker on the back of PWCs that warns to keep the jet wash away from eyes, ears, mouth, anus, and vagina? Worked with a guy who was fighting a multi million dollar lawsuit because his kid had a friend on the back of a waverunner. Fell off, landed on his back and the jetwash went up his butt and blew his intestines apart. Not a common occurrence but something to be aware of.
    Ron V

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cluelessguy View Post
    Hey All,

First time on the site and I wanted some general info on jet boats. I am definitely buying a boat this upcoming holiday, and I want some advice. I am not very mechanically orientated yet have worked on and around outboard engine boats at a summer camp for 5 years. I have looked at the Yamaha 23 foot jet boats and want to know more about jet boats and the advantages/disadvantages that comes along with owning one. Are they expensive to repair? How are they reliability wise/gas wise? Are they hard to find a marina to fix them? I have $25,000 to spend and plan to use it with my brother alot for day cruising and wake/ski/tube. Anything and everything you have to say about them whether it be positive or negative would be greatly appreciated!

-Cluelessguy
    If you have no need to run shallow, buy a prop driven out board.

Now, if you want to cruise small to medium size lakes & rivers (I know VA has some awesome flowing water) look into a all aluminum craft powered by the Mercury 200 HP Sport Jet. The 200 Merc Opti will push a 2000 lb craft up near 50 mph and you'll see over 5 MPG while cruising along at 30 MPH. Get a boat with a 12 degree deadrise or more, and she'll pull the average skier just dandy.

All crafts & power unit have pros & cons, so a test drive would be in order before you buy. Good Luck!
    Last edited by Kevin Turner; 12-13-2007 at 06:30 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cluelessguy View Post
    Hey All,

-Cluelessguy
    A $25k rooster tail

I'm not really a fan of jet boats unless it's of the old skool flatbottom gasser type with open headers. And 25k can get you a nice one of those.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've owned several boats,I/O's,tillers,O/B's, but have never had as much fun as with my old school BBC jet boat. cruises nice at 40 and tops out at 67 mph. with a mildly built 454. super easy to maintain, most parts are available at your local napa store. mine uses about the same amount of fuel as my last 2 stroke O/B. you can find a descent late 70's jetboat for under 8K. look for a BBC or BBF with a berkley or dominator pump. oh and be prepared to be held up at the launch by people wanting rides and asking about your boat.....LOL
    my 2 cents

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's all about your application

Hi Clueless, hey give yourself some credit. Those who seek advice are not altogether clueless. Listen I run a marine service and we assisted one of our clients in their search for a big Sea-Doo jet. He located one out of state but he didn't listen to us. When I say its all about your application you should consider your ALL AROUND planned use. What is the depth of any dock you might regularly moor up at? This client had a lakefront home with only 4' depth. Thus we recommended against a jet boat which can suck sediments/rocks in to the pump from as far as 12' down. So he spoke with the salesman and mechanic at the dealership he purchased it from. They told him oh yeah, 4' no sweat. He called me with their claim which I called bogus but he purchased anyway. Next call I got from him was him asking if our mechanic could remove a golf ball sized rock from his jet pump. $2k in repairs and we were nice to him. Long story short? Jets are not as efficient as props in terms of fuel consumption. They are often easier to navigate and just plain fun. Shut down before beaching and push off and get in to some deeper water when leaving shore. Most jet pumps also provide the engine's cooling water. Another reason why you don't want to suck up mud or silt. Modern jets like Yamaha and Sea Doo are on par with prop boats in terms of family utility and power. Just remember you're in a jet with certain needs and you'll be fine. With a boat such as you're looking for make sure there is an authorized service center nearby. Don't let cousin Billy Bob wittle your $25k unless he knows what he is doing. Good luck, keep seeking advice and enjoy.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jets dont suck up sediment 12' down lol I would say 3' or more in muddy/ sandy water is fine at idle speed. less if your going fast
    Azure AZ259, 8.1

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    12' down never heard of that one. I know people on the Mississippi that sucked up clam shells at 2' at idle but thats about it. I thought most intakes had grates over them anyway.

I see nobody described the looser feel a jet has when it's up on top of the water running compared to a prop boat. Or how waves seem to up set jets more than a prop boat. That I didn't care for, other wise they can be fun depending upon the impeller cut and your horespower. Gas consumption is the biggest drawback IMO.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast