Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

more tuning questions???

I had a 1" spacer on my 2.4, custom reed blocks with fiberglass reeds, cross drilled intake, motor seemed to run like crap in the midrange. SOOO, I went back to a stock intake, and stock 5 pedal reeds and blocks, jetted rich, and went for a run.

Motor seemed to run much smoother, but slipped like mad until on plane with the 20" lower, and only got 5000 once on plane, running a 23 pitch 4 blade trophy prop, pulled the plugs, and I was obviously WAAAAY too rich, pyrometers were also showing a high reading. Last night I jettted back to stock, but sounds like crap again in the 1800 rpm area, so I may go up just .002??

My plans are to go back to the 25" to get the prop deeper, and hopefully cure the slip problem, maybe then I will go back to a larger dia. smaller pitch 3-blade to get the rpms up..

My other plan is to start putting some of the performance stuff back on, one item at a time until I can dial this thing in. What is everyones thoughts on 3 things...........................

Cross drilled intake
    1" Spacer Plate
    4 pedal rubber coated reed blocks(rectangular opening vs. teardrop)

I also have these modified 5 pedal reed blocks that SST Marine made, he connected the middle 3 openings into one, so its like a 3 pedal(2 small, and one huge), with fiberglass reeds, not sure about these, what do you think???

By the way, the boat is a 24 Pantera, it has a light layup, but heavier and longer than most of you guys are used to dealing with. Boat ran great at 5000, nice and level, very responsive from 4000 up, just wanna get some more speed.

where do these items help/ or hurt the motor???

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Run a stock intake wit tha 1" spacer and the 4 peddle coated cages are best for what U are doin...Dual stage reeds would also be tha ticket, but NO big differnce over stock steel reeds...Other than the breakage factor, and ruin'in a mota, I actually find tha steel reeds to work best for a "Low" end mota (6K and lower)...But, datz juss me!!

Oh, I quess tha most important thang would be carbs, which carbs are U use'in??

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by T-REX View Post
    Run a stock intake wit tha 1" spacer and the 4 peddle coated cages are best for what U are doin...Dual stage reeds would also be tha ticket, but NO big differnce over stock steel reeds...Other than the breakage factor, and ruin'in a mota, I actually find tha steel reeds to work best for a "Low" end mota (6K and lower)...But, datz juss me!!

Oh, I quess tha most important thang would be carbs, which carbs are U use'in??
    Thanks Rex,

thats kinda what I thought. from what I have read, the crossdrilled intake wouldnt work for me. I believe the carbs are WH46's, just rebuilt them.

whats the diff between stock 5 pedal, and the rubber coated 4 pedal, is one better than the other??? I may switch to dual stage eventually, just got too much time/money wrapped up in this thing right now, I wanna get out and run it some. Plus I need to get a good consistent tuning situation, to do the motor height/prop testing thing.

I think I have the jetting thing figured out now, the whole piston/plug check thing, rather than pyro. I switched to the car style plugs rather than the surface discharge, to make them easier to read. I have all of the cylinders pretty close to where they should be, except #6 still seems real wet, even with the .080 jet, (have .080-.082 in others) and the bowl vent jet in place.