User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sounds like......

Quote Originally Posted by hp1050 View Post
    Torque is a by product of all two stroke engines it has just gotten better with introduction of DI technology, as for the "I wonder how many 250XS are being serviced right now" statement Not sure what you are implying but at least the 250XS is humologated to run in SMOC as per the SRA rules unlike to 250HO ETEC!!. The bull**** will stop at the Syd bridge if the ETEC is legal, like I said "bring it" competition is a good thing.
    someone is worried............

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a 250? but just like the 250XS stock had to be available through all dealers and I believe that Mercury had to supply cal/ID numbers for the ECU and also all of the port configurations for this engine as well as support it with a means to checking the cal/ID numbers if so required by the SRA. SRA were quite strict with all of these paramaters prior to allowing this engine into the class, I also believe that if required they will dyno the engines to ensure that they comply to icoma 28 which states that an engine can only achieve + or - 10% max HP as advertised.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with you HP1050 to a certain extent, well a lot. Seems to me they made a blunder letting the 250XS into SMOC but as long as thet follow the same rules with the ETEC, well so be it but what annoys me is that you cannot get one and yet it is allowed in?

Following the logic that they used in allowing the 250XS to race in SMOC I can see the 2.5 litre class wrecked when we see more 2.5XS's racing!

I love both, OMC and MERC but it annoys me that you can have one supported team running a motor that no-one else can get in a few choice races and people get their knickers all wet. Wait for the bridge, then we will know or more realistically when you have 6 or so almost identical boats with etecs racing the opti's.

HP1050, hehe, correct me if I am wrong but is it HP1200 now?
    97STV EURO & MERC 2.5 260

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wooduck, The 2.5XS is not homologated to run in 2.5L class and there are none in Aust I suspect you are talking about the 200XS of which engines will be available sometime early in the new year. The 2.5XS was 225 HP and the 200XS is 200HP. Yeah it is HP1200 but who knows??

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woodduck - I think you will find there is more than 1 running at the B2B (not 100% certain). I believe there is a handful of 250HO's close, however all have been spoken for.

Anyway - didn't you mention you couldn't by a 250xs anyway, sounds like both are out of stock. Don't forget in the 1st year of the 250xs there was only 1 running on a competitive SMOC boat.

I'm sure BRP will be more than happy to hand over the specs on the engine.

Never heard of engines being dyno'd to ensure they comply with the 10% rule - can't see how this could be effective.
    Darren Spencer

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DSP1 View Post
    Woodduck - I think you will find there is more than 1 running at the B2B (not 100% certain). I believe there is a handful of 250HO's close, however all have been spoken for.

Anyway - didn't you mention you couldn't by a 250xs anyway, sounds like both are out of stock. Don't forget in the 1st year of the 250xs there was only 1 running on a competitive SMOC boat.

I'm sure BRP will be more than happy to hand over the specs on the engine.

Never heard of engines being dyno'd to ensure they comply with the 10% rule - can't see how this could be effective.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Click on the pictures to increase size.

==========================================================
    Last edited by LIQUID NIRVANA; 11-01-2007 at 05:48 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Engines are released here in the states and are going down the assembly line, most if not all are already spoken for. The emm will have a fuel map number and show max obtained rpm that should allow whats needed for inspection.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Darren, had to buy a second hand 250xs due to none being available.
    97STV EURO & MERC 2.5 260

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

250 vs 300xs

Hi how does this motor compare to the Merc 300xs?

I hear the factory are offering an upgrade to 295hp!!

With more cc the the merc will be produce better speeds?

Are you guys in Aus having any problems with the 300xs???

Hearing lots of mixed reviews about the Merc over here in the UK.

Also is the Evinrude 250HO an approved engine for the F2 worlds? (ski racing)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xtreme53 View Post
    I hear the factory are offering an upgrade to 295hp!!
    There is definitely a 300HP version of this engine, which is still not shipping. Not "high output", so it does not have the high speed lower unit.

Computer obviously has a different map. I don't know if there are any other differences.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To my knowledge this engine does not qualify for F2 at this stage, if the engine is on a factory upgrade to 295HP maybe this is the 250HO with the 300 cal? if still badged as a 250HO then this is a direct contradiction to ICOMA 28 which is the standard that all engines are built to. At this stage the 300XS has been OK I think there have been a few minor hiccups but they have been straightened out by Mercury. They all performed well at the world titles in NZ, the thing to remember about the 300XS is that it is not like the 300X which was right on the edge of the build standard with reports that the engine made 325/330HP out of the box!! some say that with the excellent fuel economy of the 300XS this works out as they need less fuel.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

F2 vs SMOC

My understanding is for F2 the motors have to be 100 % out of the box - very limited modifications allowed.

However SMOC is a different story.

A few years ago a rule change was made to SMOC that effectively allowed ECU's to be modified (they cannot be replaced with an ECU from a different engine). The reasoning was that on a carb engine with mechanical timing advance it was allowable to change the factory timing as well as carb jets etc - by allowing the standard ECU to be modified this was supposed to level the playing field. What it effectively did was gave the Merc 3.0 EFI (which at the time was the engine to have) a greater advantage over the OMC's and Yammi's.

Roll forward a few years to tdy and maybe that rule will now benefit BRP's - who knows ?????

From what I hear there may 3 x 250HO's running at the B2B this weekend.
    Darren Spencer

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So Darren what you are saying is that the 250HO could be fitted with the 300ETEC Ecu?? could Merc not do the same and fit the 300XS cal to a 250XS Ecu??

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No - what I am saying is there is scope in the rules to modify the factory ECU for that engine - ie: you can't change ECU's with those from another model. This applies to any engine in SMOC.

So if someone is clever enough to be able to gain access to the ECU's and has either a proven cal or is willing to experiment - then there may be an advantage there.

I don't know how the 300xs cal would work in a 250xs given the hardware differs (ie: 300 is 3.2lt vs 3.0lt for 250)

For the record my personal feeling is SMOC should be "outta the box" with maybe the exception of nosecones/tourque tamers.

However, being a 'tinkerer' if I was racing SMOC I would be making the most out of the rules in place.
    Darren Spencer

Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast