Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

T2's

There was also a pic in Powerboat Magazine of Reggie's twin at the Parker race around the time that the OMC rotary was racing. It did have what looked to be T2's on it. This was at the same time Mercury Racing was throwing a lot of effort behind the KT boats to combat the rotary. That was the last time I ever heard of Reggie racing the twin boat. It could be that Mercury gave him a set of T2's for that same reason, to have powerful boats to beat the rotary.
    1970 15' Allison/135 Chrysler stacker
    RC Mod-VP Boats

IMPBA District 13
    NAMBA District 3

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drop-on engine cowling.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Poole ModVP View Post
    There was also a pic in Powerboat Magazine of Reggie's twin at the Parker race around the time that the OMC rotary was racing. It did have what looked to be T2's on it. This was at the same time Mercury Racing was throwing a lot of effort behind the KT boats to combat the rotary. That was the last time I ever heard of Reggie racing the twin boat. It could be that Mercury gave him a set of T2's for that same reason, to have powerful boats to beat the rotary.
    Here is the picture Powerboat used in May, 1973 covering the 1973 Parker 9 Hour.....the one where OMC ran it's rotary. Reggie has the conventional wraparound cowling on his twin, just doesn't have the faceplates installed.

I don't know if anyone at Merc even knew that OMC had the rotary prior to it's introduction to the public February 23rd, 1973. Parker is an March, leaving only a couple of weeks to think about what to run against it. Twin C6's on a 21'Glastron/Molinari probably wouldn't have been a good idea.....what do you think jlf56? I'd like to see the picture that Tim Bennecker mentioned is in another Merc brochure, maybe someone did put a pair of those bad boys on his twin for an event other than this Parker race.

The way I saw it, the Merc KT was a seperate project and had been started before the introduction of the rotary. They just happened to meet head-on during their respective development times at the Provo 250 and the KT did manage to get the best of it. The KT raced past all four of the rotarys entered.....the 1st time anything other than a rotary had passed a rotary when running properly . Merc was trying to develop a new "for sale" package for KT and Offshore racing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Miscellaneous 026.jpg   Miscellaneous 022.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reggie's 21 - Number 76

The photos posted by Willabee have me doubting that T2's were ever on the back of this boat. The photos were definitely shot at the same event that the 1974 fishing motor inset was taken. In ths brochure photio, I think it's the funny turn angle of the motors, the "basic blue / thin stripe" paint scheme of these cowlings and NO faceplates installed that give an illusion (from a distance) that T2 drop-on cowlings were used. Mystery solved. Where is Scott Keller? I'd like to know more about what's going on with my old boat?.........we're trying to dig up old Havasu programs that show this boat (and Johnnie Sander's twin Moli) were running side by side in 197X? I may be in error about Dick Sharp's power for this Glastron Molinari......the motor was still an Evinrude, but a "pre-Strangler" model................

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is the pic from the '74 brochure.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by warrior74z View Post

He looks normal height in that photo...must have been sitting on a phone book.
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by warrior74z View Post
    Thank you, now I see where the idea of TII's on this boat came from .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Warrior74 Photo

Yep!.............that's the photo! And when it was shrunk down for the catalog inset, the motors tend to "blend" together...........and the only thing (by default) it ends up looking like is the T2X (especially with the mid sections).
    So, back to the original question.........where is this boat today? I keep hearing that Bob Hammond has it in his possession...........

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rocker sponsons

Are the sponsons on that boat "constant curve"? If they go flat it must be only the last couple feet.
    1970 15' Allison/135 Chrysler stacker
    RC Mod-VP Boats

IMPBA District 13
    NAMBA District 3

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bennecker View Post
    The photos posted by Willabee have me doubting that T2's were ever on the back of this boat. The photos were definitely shot at the same event that the 1974 fishing motor inset was taken. In ths brochure photio, I think it's the funny turn angle of the motors, the "basic blue / thin stripe" paint scheme of these cowlings and NO faceplates installed that give an illusion (from a distance) that T2 drop-on cowlings were used. Mystery solved. Where is Scott Keller? I'd like to know more about what's going on with my old boat?.........we're trying to dig up old Havasu programs that show this boat (and Johnnie Sander's twin Moli) were running side by side in 197X? I may be in error about Dick Sharp's power for this Glastron Molinari......the motor was still an Evinrude, but a "pre-Strangler" model................
    Tim: Scot Keller here. All the background information has been very helpful. The remove the hook, keep the hook, discussion was particularly insightful. Currently the motor parts are winging their way through the paint process. As suggested, Joe is going to paint, not gel coat, the hull back to the original yellow. Despite the obvious dings it is in remarkably good shape and should clean-up nicely.

I’ll post more as the project proceeds.

Scot

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    There's another oddity in that picture that nobody picked up on........... The engines either have T2 mid sections, or BP's with the old bolt pattern powerheads they require. No question there are the narrower metal wraparounds like std inline ran instead of T2 cowls, but the mids raise interesting questions about what's on top. Could it be that that's why there're no faceplates????? Maybe 6 carbs hidin' under those cowls WITHOUT the T2 exhaust plate (which I dont think would go under the std wraparound and pan, but don't know for sure)
    Membership upgrade options: http://www.screamandfly.com/payments.php

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RACEMAN, I AM GETTING READY TO TRY TO PUT A T2X POWERHEAD ON A SHORT 150 MID. I WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW THIS GOES. I WAS WONDERING IF YOU CAN FIT ONE UNDER AN INLINE WRAP OR IF I WILL HAVE TO USE A LIFT OFF COWLING.
    2005 APR FORMULA 2 ROOKIE OF THE YEAR

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Actually I did that back in the 70's, but can't remember about the cowl around the exhaust. I know that I initially ran it with NO cowl, and finally ended up with a T2 cowl on it. I also remember that I had to cut the steering arm off, which didn't matter because I was running cable/pulley/wing steering anyway, but can't remember if I had to cut the arm because of the T2 bottom cowl/pan or the bottom carb.

I'm thinkin' I had the exhaust figured out with maybe a little whackin' on the bottom pan, but can't recall now for sure, and I do remember that I never ran it with the std inline type cowl, even after I fooled with it a good bit.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I Was Wondering About The Steering Arm. It Looks Close.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by largecar91 View Post
    Thanks, I Was Wondering About The Steering Arm. It Looks Close.
    If it won't fit because of the lower carb, rather than the pan, and you're gonna have to cut it, let me look and see if I still have the whacked one layin' around. As hard as SS parts are to find it's a shame to whack up one unnecessarily.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not cutting the steering arm. If it won't fit because of the steering and carb clearance, then I will use a T2 mid to test this powerhead. Really I am rebuilding some T2x powerheads and was going to use my Checkmate with the short mid on it as a test bed for break in as it is rigged and water ready and I thought if it work work I would use it. Plus it would be kinda neat to see how fast I could get it going with a bigger powerhead.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast