Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fish, The name sounds familiar but no face to go with it. Where would I have run into him? There were a lot of guy's that I met through Don. Randy Rabe (Parker's Dad) Eddie Medly, Hugh Doyle, Billy Clark (Stoway Cove Marina) and others.

Fielder

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jlf56 View Post
    Fish, The name sounds familiar but no face to go with it. Where would I have run into him? There were a lot of guy's that I met through Don. Randy Rabe (Parker's Dad) Eddie Medly, Hugh Doyle, Billy Clark (Stoway Cove Marina) and others.

Fielder
    Sent you a pm

96' STV Euro

Smarta$$ of the
    Sunshine Syndicate,

How to upload pics (click here)

Quote Originally Posted by jphii View Post
    Well then, give her a $50 bottle of booze and don't let her know about the hookers, or what you spend on them
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BadAction View Post
    oh no. i just realized I am the voice of reason on a thread. i am so done, RIP 1Bad.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are right

Quote Originally Posted by jphii View Post
    That boat looks familiar. Did you get it in Holly, MI?

Edit: I just saw the pics on BRF and recognized the barn. I knew that one looked familiar.
    You are correct jphii ................

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yikes!

Joe:

Yikes.......100 plus going into the right hander at Havasu. Having been there myself from 70-73 I saw some hairy things. That must have taken large, well, extensions.

Sorry to report that the boat is cored with plywood not balsa. I hope the "light weight" is still out there.

Your bottom tips are very helpful. Left on my own, I too would have taken out the hook. Since Joe plans to run the boat at vintage events I'll take a close look at the strake angles when we get it turned over.

Thanks,

scot

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glastron Molinari - Red / White Hull History

Scott -

The consumate "expert" on this hull would be me................

This boat was shipped back to Detroit MI from LakeBay WA many years ago after sitting in various backyards and weed patches for years. I'm the idiot who painted it red. Underneath, you will find the original yellow / black gel coat. I would advise against stripping it down because the boat took a beating by various owners who used it to chase and net herring schools in Puget Sound......to the point of putting sand embedded paint on the deck!Painting it to its original color scheme would be best. It's original owner (delivered as a new boat from Glastron) was Dick Sharp, who ran an Evinrude Strangler on the hull (1969?).Further, the cockpit sides were re-glassed higher (cut that stuff back) and the blip in the aft cowl was added to make a Mercury 1500XS look shorter. (grind that thing off!) I ran the boat 2-3 years in Sport J and held my own against shorter wood Sport J hulls. I shocked the local race OPC race club when I showed up to race something that they thought had ended up in the city dump. The "Glastron / Molinari" logos on the side are hand-scaled replicas of what I could find in the 1970 Glastron sales brochure at the time (vinyl computer generated graphics didn't exist....only commercial lithographs. I don't agree with the comments about the rockers. The sponsons were blueprinted with a straightedge and I could run that thing on its tail all day long (nose slant aligned level with the horizon) and I have old Kodak slides to prove it! The original drum / cable steering was cut out and replaced with Mercury break-away steering (new technology at the time). The boat never had a trim ram splash well. The hole thru the transom (T-1/2X?) for a trim ram is new to me. My 1500XS had externally mounted ski-boat style trim rams. That boat spent a period of time on the bottom of Lake Stevens after Sharp blew it over. I'm assuming that you got the hull from JE? Maybe for fun, I"ll take some digital photos of some large color photographs I have (running the boat in 1977) that are hanging in my den? From 1977 to 1984, that boat was garage-stored out of the daylight and weather.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm assuming that you got the hull from JE?
    That's what I was talking about. I saw him Sunday at a race in PA and he said it was gone. Good luck on the restoration. That's gonna be one fine boat when you get it finished.

Ló fasz racing
    Joe Horvath

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JE Question

JE came out to the west coast with a huge truck and picked up several OPC hulls that were destined for the land fill. This Glastron Molinari was the last pick up stop before JE headed back to MI. I never really thought I would see thsi hull again.........JE called one night to see if I wanted it back (no thanks.....too many toys in garage)....... but If I could have a Glastron / Moli, I have a very unrealistic wish...........would love to have Reggie Fountain's 21 foot twin.........JE said that Bob Hammond has that one locked away deep in some warehouse..............

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glastron Brochure - Circa 1970

Joe -

I have been wondering for 30 years where that famous shot was taken! That page of the Glastron brochure currently sits under framed museum quality glass in my office. Whatever became of the 2+2 recreational hull that was also in the brochure? Was the CT-15 considered a "different product" offered for sale in the brochure in comparison to the Glastron / Molinaris? Who was in the CT-15 shot (Twister powered).......someone told me that it was Dick Shearer.

Anyway, as a kid, I always wondered who those supermen were that got to drive those yellow dream machines! Now, I know who!

Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    It is Dick.

The CT-15 has completely different heritage than the GlasMolis; it is basically a Carlson semi tunnel converted to full tunnel and racing cockpit riveted on. Few racers other than Olegator (Jim Hunt) were able to get them to turn well in competition.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bennecker View Post
    Scott -

The consumate "expert" on this hull would be me................

This boat was shipped back to Detroit MI from LakeBay WA many years ago after sitting in various backyards and weed patches for years. I'm the idiot who painted it red. Underneath, you will find the original yellow / black gel coat. I would advise against stripping it down because the boat took a beating by various owners who used it to chase and net herring schools in Puget Sound......to the point of putting sand embedded paint on the deck!Painting it to its original color scheme would be best. It's original owner (delivered as a new boat from Glastron) was Dick Sharp, who ran an Evinrude Strangler on the hull (1969?).Further, the cockpit sides were re-glassed higher (cut that stuff back) and the blip in the aft cowl was added to make a Mercury 1500XS look shorter. (grind that thing off!) I ran the boat 2-3 years in Sport J and held my own against shorter wood Sport J hulls. I shocked the local race OPC race club when I showed up to race something that they thought had ended up in the city dump. The "Glastron / Molinari" logos on the side are hand-scaled replicas of what I could find in the 1970 Glastron sales brochure at the time (vinyl computer generated graphics didn't exist....only commercial lithographs. I don't agree with the comments about the rockers. The sponsons were blueprinted with a straightedge and I could run that thing on its tail all day long (nose slant aligned level with the horizon) and I have old Kodak slides to prove it! The original drum / cable steering was cut out and replaced with Mercury break-away steering (new technology at the time). The boat never had a trim ram splash well. The hole thru the transom (T-1/2X?) for a trim ram is new to me. My 1500XS had externally mounted ski-boat style trim rams. That boat spent a period of time on the bottom of Lake Stevens after Sharp blew it over. I'm assuming that you got the hull from JE? Maybe for fun, I"ll take some digital photos of some large color photographs I have (running the boat in 1977) that are hanging in my den? From 1977 to 1984, that boat was garage-stored out of the daylight and weather.
    Here are some good videos from Wa state racing in the 70's. http://www.assist.neptune.com/#

(go to #39 David M Potter, Northwest Racing 1971-1972, some Glastron Molinari's and #133, Boat Racing Film. (Nick Springate videos) Very Cool videos!!!!
    Mark
    Last edited by MN4V; 09-22-2007 at 01:00 PM. Reason: New info

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More About Album #38........

MN4V -
    These videos pre-date my entry into racing by about 5 years. It kind of tugs @ my emotions because Dave Potter passed away this year from leukemia. Dick Sharp passed on several years ago. I would see Dave Potter again in 1986 when I blew over my SST120 Seebold (before safety cockpits were mandated by the APBA) while testing @ Lake Tapps WA. I broke my leg and finger (got caught in trim switch bracket as I was ejected from my seat) and they loaded me up in an ambulance. As I lay there on the gurney while a paramedics are taking my race gear off (and cutting up my brand new jumpsuit), I hear this chuckling coming from up in the driver's seat and it's Dave Potter at the wheel driving the ambulance........Dave is saying something like "way to go Tim"...who's drying the motor out?, etc.
    TB

Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by MN4V View Post
    Here are some good videos from Wa state racing in the 70's. http://www.assist.neptune.com/#

(go to #38, Northwest racing 1971-1972 some Glastron Molinari's and #132. (Nick Springate videos) Very Cool videos!!!!
    Mark

Could find #132 but can't view it, can't even find "Northwest racing ..." something else is #32 now ... at least when I view the site

Not the best site to host You should get your money back
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails screenshot.jpeg  
    Last edited by Mark75H; 08-21-2007 at 10:55 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tim,
    The 2 + 2 was a flop ! Renato brought a prop with him to demo the hull in Austin. The boat worked just like it did in Italy when they showed it ti Bob H. Renato took the prop with him and we never got the to work with anything we did, props included. One of our Engeeners, Robbie Robinson blew the thing over a time or two but never got it to go !!!
    As for Reggie baby's 21 ft glass Molly, was that the red & black one, his first ??? If so, Art built that for me after I crashed the first one in 70 at Havasu. We set it up in April of 71 in Austin and it never came close to the numbers we saw with the first one (I'm talking about the super light weight no plywood hull) I ran two races and Hammond disolved the race team and sent me packing. That, to my knowledge, was the only Molly that was not Yellow / Black and the last light weight to be built. When I left Glastron I took the light weight single I spoke about earlier and raced against Reggie (red twin) in Houston and finished ahead of him in the U class race. Louie Baumann of Houston had designed me a three blade progressive prop that was awesome on that single. Is Hammond still alive?? Would be interesting to know if he still has the bat boat, banana boat & three point hydro in reverse that we played with in the 60's. Those were definately the "Good ole days".

Fielder

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Neptune.com Site

Site link works just fine. #38 and #132 are still there. #38 has actual video of a running Switzer wing...........check your video viewer settings on your PC............

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very cool videos!!!!! I have been looking for footage of one of those boats in one of the videos for quite some time!!!!
    2005 APR FORMULA 2 ROOKIE OF THE YEAR

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast