Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowcat View Post
    - incredible picture of the moli's- where did they all go??? (and I think I know) -got any others to post here??? SHADOWCAT
    Where did they all go is a reoccurring question about old race boats ... when they are newly obsolete ... they just sit in some otherwise unused space, generally outside in the weather. Secondly, raceboat construction is light and never intended for long term ... it would be a conflict to build a raceboat intended to last 10 years, much less 20 or 30. This made the very susceptible to falling apart very quickly ... long before anyone would have interest in restoring one as an antique or nostalgia piece.

#32 Jim Hauenstein #37 Ron Traen #54 Gene Hudgens #157 Dick Sharp #1022 Jim Thompson
    Quote Originally Posted by htower View Post
    I took a better shot of the photo. Sam maybe you could blow this up for everyone. thanksAttachment 223412

WOW thanks for posting the pic. #37 was my grandpa Ron Traen he passed many years ago now. It was great to see thank you so much.

4. Glastron Molinari Restoration Update

It has been far too quiet on our restoration program for my own satisfaction...but sometimes business has to be put before fun.
    At any rate, we are getting back to the restoration of Dick Sharp's Glastron-Molinari 18-footer.
    Running her at Clayton this August is the goal.
    The new transom is in and we are getting ready to install new strongbacks to give the hull/transom joint more strength.
    Jeff Ettinger is starting on the Evinrude KC13R and most of the old hardware has been found and cleaned up. (Throttle pedal, steering components, Keller speedo, OMC tach).
    We do need some info on is the fuel tank...which isn't to be found.
    What did they most likely run in the boat when set up for Marathons? Any photos out there?
    Any input would be appreciated.
    Thanks ...
    Joe Schulte

Hey Joe,
    Sure hope to see you at Clayton. Looks like we might have a good group of OPC size outboards there this year. I know that Ted Boyd has his wing ready and that John Tiger should have his Seebold /OMC V4 done by then. Have heard that Jack Beatley is considering bringing the #250 Molinari/T2x. I certainly plan on being there with my O'Berry Marine Molinari / Johnson RS. Too soon to say whether some of the others will show: Brian Pitt - Molinari / Merc V6, Scott Rotharmel - Molinari / CCC, Rich Luhrs - Switzer Wing / S3000's, Ken Fornwalt - Allison / Merc, Steve Larkin - Velden / OMC V4, Bud Clarke - Molinari / I-6 and Arnie Rubinstein - Switzer / I-6.
    >>>>>>>> Now that would be a heat of OUTBOARDS!!!!! <<<<<<<< We'll just pray for calmer waters.

Quote Originally Posted by opie see View Post
    It has been far too quiet on our restoration program for my own satisfaction...but sometimes business has to be put before fun.
    At any rate, we are getting back to the restoration of Dick Sharp's Glastron-Molinari 18-footer.
    The new transom is in and we are getting ready to install new strongbacks to give the hull/transom joint more strength.
    Jeff Ettinger is starting on the Evinrude KC13R and most of the old hardware has been found and cleaned up. (Throttle pedal, steering components, Keller speedo, OMC tach).
    What did they most likely run in the boat when set up for Marathons? Any photos out there?
    Thanks ...
    Joe Schulte
    Last edited by RogerH; 02-18-2012 at 06:08 PM.

6. Roger...
    One way or another I'll be there.
    Hopefully with the Galstron-Molinari and the DU that Allen Blide is putting the finishing touches on.
    I know the DU will be done....the Molinari has just taken way too long...and I have nobody to blame but myself.
    Hope to see you in August, if not before.
    Joe Schulte

Joe & Roger...I hope to be bringing 2 boats - the wing and the glastron molinari should be done (may not be running though) -joe -check your pm's for one from me

Ted

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by opie see View Post
    Thanks ...
    Joe Schulte
    The most common tank was a 40 to 60 gallon round aluminum tank as sold to big semi truck manufacturers. these had big fuel fills and adequate baffling. They were either strapped into a cradle or foamed and strapped into a box.
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    18 Foot Switzer Wing 2 x 1250 BP's (Miss Diablo)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (The Ghost)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)

!7 Ft Molinari Evinrude CCC (Gold Dust)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Up here in the Pacific Northwest, in the late '60's & early '70's, for a fuel tank, we were using used aluminum "beer kegs!" We simply cut a hole in the top (when lying on its side) for filler cap & rigged a fuel line (with shut off) out of the back bottom! We then built a custom glass/wood cradle & used numerous strong straps, to secure! Looked cool, worked good! But, first we had to drink all the beer, in the keg! LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    The most common tank was a 40 to 60 gallon round aluminum tank as sold to big semi truck manufacturers. these had big fuel fills and adequate baffling. They were either strapped into a cradle or foamed and strapped into a box.

10. Mark:

So far, I like your suggestion best.
    I presume I should use a 'Lite' beer keg to keep the wieght down....both the driver's and boat's.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    Joe, The tank I put in my Molinari is huge...definitely a marathon tank. Funny, but I don't have a good picture of the tank in the boat. Here's one with it beside the boat as I was restoring it.

IMG_1149.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11