User Tag List

Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1977...Racing News

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1968...Modern facility at Fon du Lac. When this plant had the ground breaking ceremony, in 1964, Mr K mounted a large earth mover, I think called a pan, and came across in front of all the dignataries and news people and company executives, and made a swipe of earth about six or eight inches deep, a hundred feet long, or so. Now it's not easy to operate one of these machines that smoothly, so everyone was really shocked when Mr K came around for a second swipe and made it just as evenly and smoothly as the first. Mr K was always prepared.

Reminds me of another story about Mr K. Grading for one of his distribution centers was supposed to have already started when Mr K arrived but not a stone had been turned, so Mr K bought a new bulldozer, had it delivered to the site and started the grading himself. I believe this was the Atlanta branch. As always, corrections to these posts are welcome.

Kiekhaefer Mercury main plant

Last edited by warrior74z; 08-13-2007 at 03:55 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it was 105 degrees here in South Carolina yesterday, so I thought I'd show that it does snow here also. And when it does, even one inch, the whole town shuts down. If it is even in the forcast the day before, all the milk and bread will be wiped out of the grocery stores! I never understood why people think that humans cannot survive for twenty four hours without bread and milk. And we all know the snow will melt by the next day. Notice Christmas trees, leaning on the side of the building, for sale.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1960...Sixty horsepower with six cylinders. Lets see thats only...sixty divided by six..yeah, ten horsepower per cylinder! Compare that with todays modern outboard at fifty per cylinder.
    Ok, how about a ski belt for only $1.79?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1964...Glastron Jetflite with 100 HP Merc. Glastron was one of the first small pleasure boats to use the deep v hull. Most pleasure boats in the early 60's were flat bottom with rounded chines. The deep v hull improved ride and handling and increased speed. It allowed the small boats to handle the new "large" outboards. The Jetflite was to the early 60's what the Hydrostreams and Allisons were to the 70's. I always thought it was very cool and I wonder why I have not seen any restored Jetflites. This photo is from a Glastron ad.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look familiar? That's me. Well the little guy is. My brother's Jetflite in 1966. This was my first "fast boat" experience. Seems like it ran in the low 50 MPH range. It would handle anything on the lake. We loved to put it to the Chris Crafts and Correct Crafts. My brother would make me crouch down in the very back of the boat when racing someone. Good for an extra mile an hour or two.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Superb Heritage. I agree this is magnificent stuff. Should be more of it shared around, not hidden in boxes somewhere. C'mon guys dig it all out before we all die & it is LOST FOREVER.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lmao

Quote Originally Posted by warrior74z View Post
    Look familiar? That's me. Well the little guy is. My brother's Jetflite in 1966. This was my first "fast boat" experience. Seems like it ran in the low 50 MPH range. It would handle anything on the lake. We loved to put it to the Chris Crafts and Correct Crafts. My brother would make me crouch down in the very back of the boat when racing someone. Good for an extra mile an hour or two.
    I came upon 2 guys racing in 2 new brand Larsons w/ brand new 150 Mercs, I had to get 2 of my 3 passengers to go sit on the gas tank of my 66 Duo, 150PT Merc to catch & beat them, really did hurt their feelings I had redecaled to 115 hp, but I also was running 1 of the very first semi-cup props. Would have gave money to hear what they said to their dealer on Monday
    Last edited by BUSHWACKER; 08-13-2007 at 03:00 PM.
    "Where is Lee Harvey Oswald, Now that we really need him?"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1964...Inside the store. Dad always put as much product under the roof as possible. See the white Mercs that were only a couple of years old? They could even be new left over models. Far to the right is what appears to be a 1957 Mark 55. On the upper rack nearest, could be an Elgin and maybe a Scott Attwater. Quicksilver lube and storage oil, quarts of Formula 2 outboard oil, which went to five gallons of gas. Poulan chain saws to help in the off season. Underneath the engine rack are trailer hitches. The customer would back their car slightly into the garage type door on the side of the building and I would crawl under the car with a large Craftsman drill and a 1/2 inch bit and drill through those thick car frames of the 60's cars. I can still feel the hot metal chips going down my shirt.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In this view you can see new Mercs on the heavy cast iron stands. On the wall behind the engines, are waterskis. My first job at eight years old was, first thing in the morning, sweep the floors, empty trash, pick up debris in the boat yard, then wash boats the rest of the day. If I was lucky, Dad would take me on a lake test. Woo Hoo!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1970-71...Scat Craft with 1350 Merc. This photo was made after it was sold to a customer, but for the summer of '71, as a rising senior in high school, this was my demo. It was my first boat that would exceed fifty miles per hour. Notice the spacer on the transom to elevate the Merc. We had just learned about "jacking up the engine" to gain speed, and this was the first application, be it conservative. Also this is the first high rake propeller we had used. It is a Quicksilver 14x22. This was before they had a name for every prop, and by the way, I still have that propeller. This rig would run fifty eight miles per hour, and I don't remember being out run with it.
    I had the boat out all saturday afternoon the first time in the water. Had a blast, a very fun boat at the time. Sunday afternoon, I invited a good friend out with me, and we were probably on our third or fourth tank of fuel. (When your Dads a Mercury dealer it is pretty much wide open throttle all the time) Any way, I remember coming by the house WOT and about a mile past the dock, all of a sudden the steering felt real loose. It would not turn the engine. My reaction was to jerk the throttle back to idle. When I did the boat took an immediate hard left turn. The g forces threw my buddy into me and my head hit the windshield railing and knocked me out for a couple of minutes. When we gathered ourselfs and looked around, surprise! The tower of power was nowhere to be seen. I went to the back of the boat and I could see the engine under water, hanging on by the control cables. Then I realized I had blood running down my face from a nasty gash above my eye. Soon a boat came by and the driver ask us if we were out of gas! I explained to him that a new 135 horsepower engine was hanging under the boat, so he pulled us to an island and we lifted the Merc back onto the transom and he pulled us to the dock.
    Monday morning back at the shop we figured out that the steering cable nut that attaches to the tilt tube of the engine had never been tightened and came off, causing the loss of steering. From that day on, until we sold our dealership in the '90's that nut was known as the Barron nut. Also up until this point, we had always used only the bottom two mounting holes on the engine to bolt through the transom. From that point on, we used all four mounting holes. This was before we used power trim very much and their additional mounting bolts. This lesson lived with me throughout my racing career, as before every pass in the unlimited outboard hydro's I drove, the last thing before we launched, I would personally check the steering system from front to back, never trusting anyone else to do this for me.
    For two months after this incident, I had severe headaches. Walking up the stairs at school was killing me every day, but I never told anyone until the headaches finally went away. Can you say concussion?

Last edited by warrior74z; 08-14-2007 at 09:09 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1971 Scat Craft with Merc 1350

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1976...Reggie's championship ride. I think Dad took this photo at the Jacksonville FL Dealer show.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1976...The red Hydrostream Viper with XS 1500. This photo was taken after we sold it, but for a couple of months in '76 this was my bad ride. When I rigged it, basic was the theme. No power trim, no foot throttle, no jack plate, no built in tank, no kill switch, no life jacket, no brain. Two six gallon tanks a tach and speedo was all it needed. The Chopper propeller had recently been introduced, and I believe this was the first application at our dealership. A 14x24 propelled this rig to an honest 83 mph on a Merc speedo. Covered about anything on the lake. One weekend after I had run out of competitors to pounce on, I was told there was a group of fast boats near Clemson about fifteen miles up the lake, so there I go. The fastest guy there had a Brandt? boat with an inline 1500. There were a few V 6 1750's but they were on heavier boats and already knew the Brandt was the fastest. So out goes my girlfriend and And I put the remaining six gallon tank in the middle of the floor for better handling. It was a Sunday afternoon and the water was rough and we made several passes and I had him by five or so boat lenghts each time. Mr brandt complained about the rough water, so we found a channel with smooth water just off the main channel. As we ran in the smooth water he had a jump on me from the start and I couldn't pass him. the boats were about equal in smooth water. After maybe a mile run and him one boat length in front, I began to pass over some rollers from a houseboat that had been in the main channel. These were very low rollers, really just a rise and fall of six or eight inches about every thirty feet. As I topped one them the bow stood straight up at eighty plus mph. It was like a parachute catching the air, just poof and the boat was vertical. I grabbed the throttle and the Viper came down on it's side and coasted to a safe stop. I was VERY shaken but ok. Those witnessing us race could not believe it did not go over. Remember, no life vest or kill switch!!
    Monday morning one of those spectators was in our shop and purchased the Viper on the spot. He was Don Stegall, and he would play a big roll in my racing in the future...

Last edited by warrior74z; 08-26-2007 at 08:50 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is Don in the drivers seat. He added power trim and some junk, including his not so slim buddy here. Probably never was as fast as when I had it. Here he is about to put it on an Allison with big OMC. At least they learned to wear ski vests.
    Sorry about the bad pics, only ones I have.

Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 LastLast