Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hot boat won't start?

question for all you jetboat jedi's; my 79 sleekcraft sportster with a 454 indmar and berkeley pump does not like to start when it is hot. starter motor can barely roll it over...once it's cool it fires right up. what could be the cause of this? motor is all stock 1979 indmar never rebuilt about 250hrs---225hcca

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    buy a starter wrap from summit to protect it from the heat, there around $20. I had the same problem with my camaro and it fixed it right up.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm with bow tie82 starter gets too hot and drags had the same problem with my old hawaiian with a 468 make sure your timing is right also 28 degrees btc full advance

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bow_tie82 View Post
    buy a starter wrap from summit to protect it from the heat, there around $20. I had the same problem with my camaro and it fixed it right up.
    thanks for the input... I'll check out the wrap!---225hcca

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marvin s View Post
    i'm with bow tie82 starter gets too hot and drags had the same problem with my old hawaiian with a 468 make sure your timing is right also 28 degrees btc full advance
    thanks for the input... I'll check out the wrap and have the timing checked!---225hcca

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 225hcca View Post
    question for all you jetboat jedi's; my 79 sleekcraft sportster with a 454 indmar and berkeley pump does not like to start when it is hot. starter motor can barely roll it over...once it's cool it fires right up. what could be the cause of this? motor is all stock 1979 indmar never rebuilt about 250hrs---225hcca
    check your volt gauge when you are idleing, it may not be charging so if you idle before you shut the motor off you might be draining the battery.It happened to me!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nickallan View Post
    check your volt gauge when you are idleing, it may not be charging so if you idle before you shut the motor off you might be draining the battery.It happened to me!!!
    thanks for the input! I think voltage is ok cuz once the motor cools it rolls over good and fires right up, but I will check that out next time I have her on the water. thanks---225hcca

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may also want to go away from the old style starter to a modern reduction gear starter. These are smaller and dont tuck as tight to the block and are alot less prone to the hot starter issue. It helps alot on automobiles with headers. Usually the solenoid is damaged from the heat or the windings get really hot which manifests itself in the hot starter slow rollover. The reduction gear starter is also less prone to internal moisture damage. I have seen many of the old style gm starters which look wonderful on the outside from low mile vehicles that were in sad shape internally due to the condensation in the housing. This is really a problem with ones which sea very intermittant use. The reduction starter is sealed better and most are more powerful than the old style starter. As an added bonus the smaller size makes installation easier. I would think this is especially useful if its a tight fit with the engine stringers. The factory gm reduction starter comes with a heatshield.

Also the big and little posts on the starter solenoid are prone to corrosion and will oddly enough sometimes cause this issue.

Now if this is a rear mount starter ignore everything i have suggested and get the blanket :-D

I know the pains of GM starters. I have concocted all new phrases and combinations of !$#%^#$ to go with them

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the input! my starter is mounted on the bell housing at the back of the engine. big three bolt beast that I have rebulit every other year due to moisture damage. I'll check and see if I can find a reductiuon gear strater for my application, maybe someone is making one somewhere. thanks again for the input.---225hcca

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm if it isnt already produced someone should produce this. I wonder if a conversion for the off the shelf starter is possible with a custom snout? Are the three bolt starters universal? I think ring gear pitches are all pretty similar on American V8s. I have never actually put say a Ford and Chevy flexplate/flywheel side by side and attempted to mesh the ring gears though. Maybe a conversion kit consisting of a new front snout for off the shelf reduction starters for the three bolt setup could be a viable product? A ready to bolt on starter would be a better seller.

A quick search of speedway motors (they usually have good pictures of their product) reveals this:

If this were available in reverse rotation http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/2400...itemNo=starter

I would most likely pop for the Hitachi version.

It might would be possible to adapt. It appears the block mount is removeable to allow 360 degree positioning of the starter and solenoid. By machining a plate to replace this mount which fits the three bolt mount on your bellhousing (and of course ensures proper pinion to ring gear mesh) a modern reduction starter could be realised. My only worry would be for the snout to be long enough to reach in to engage the ring gear. I wonder how difficult reversal of the permanent magnet starter motor would be. Not as easy as those toy motors we played with as kids thats for sure! But if the block mount is indeed removeable without disturbing any of the bearings in the starter drive then, by making different snouts/adapters, a modern starter could be produced for any older engine that the pinion would engage properly with. Including inboards which new starters are no longer available. I know some purists would balk at the sight of this in the engine bay of a barrelback chris craft, but its a VERY bad feeling when you are alone on the water and it wont start.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On Jetboats its common to add an external soleniod to the starter circuit, and not use the soleniod on the starter itself to engage. The reasoning is that there can be excessive voltage drop to the starter from the key switch, causing a variety of starting issues. If your starter has the soleniod on the starter, jumper the S teminal to the big terminal, then run the starter cable to the new soleniod, and the key start to the S terminal on the new soleniod, and finally the battery to the new soleniod.
    79 Southwind Tunnel Dragster 540ci BBC

UMPBA 926 Gas Jet

My Projects http://s200.photobucket.com/user/Dir...?sort=3&page=1

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New starters are available, but be prepaired to shell out some bucks. Here is a link to CP Performance's starters available.

http://www.cpperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=3365
    79 Southwind Tunnel Dragster 540ci BBC

UMPBA 926 Gas Jet

My Projects http://s200.photobucket.com/user/Dir...?sort=3&page=1

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)