User Tag List

Page 27 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 LastLast

Thread: Merc V6 History

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	V6 proposal 1.png 
Views:	1270 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	353633Click image for larger version. 

Name:	V6 proposal 2.png 
Views:	1268 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	353634Click image for larger version. 

Name:	V6 design $$.png 
Views:	1306 
Size:	2.80 MB 
ID:	353635This last memo was asking for permission to proceed with the detail drawings necessary to build sand cast prototype powerheads. The overall detail design layout had been completed by Al Tyner and I working together for several months. I have a copy of that layout in my folder. As you can see, this was Oct. 1970.

2. Thanks Scream And Fly, Kitch thanked for this post
    Likes Scream And Fly, WillySteve, mrcrsr liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4. Thanks Scream And Fly thanked for this post
    Likes Scream And Fly, WillySteve, mrcrsr liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

6. Likes WillySteve liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...Thanx Jerry!...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very very cool... now for a odd ball question... i have a 44 cid 1975 50 hp that pulls up no SN records its ADI but ive serviced even 76 and 77 model years 44 cid that were distributor systems.. could that motor been a test platform for the smaller 4 cyl engines that later went adi in 77?

4-16-2014. 25 years old today... the fishin boat doesnt look to bad for a classic does she

things that were are no longer as they are today...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Serial number is more important than year, Mercury sometimes changed things mid year or when ever.

Dave
    1980 Cougar 19 tunnel,90 2.4L Bridgeport EFI in middle of restoration.
    1988 BAJA Sunsport 186, 96 225 Pro Max
    79 12' Auminum, 95 Merc 9.9
    RIP Stu
    "So many idiots, so few bullets"

10. Likes WillySteve liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Strong View Post
    Serial number is more important than year, Mercury sometimes changed things mid year or when ever.

Dave
    so as to not disturb the great history here i started a new thread with my SN maybe you can decipher it
    its in the tech section

4-16-2014. 25 years old today... the fishin boat doesnt look to bad for a classic does she

things that were are no longer as they are today...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rckid74 View Post
    Yes Fujimo, Keith and Ralph were both in my group at the start of the 951 (V6) project. I don't recognize the Triechel name though. He's not on the plant 6 honor roll of names either. This listing of names includes everyone that ever worked at plant 6 over the years and includes such notables as Carl Kiekhaefer, Charles Alexander, Charlie Strang, and several others listed as "Guest Workers", such as Tony Bettenhausen, Briggs Cunningham, Tim Flock, Bill France, Ted Jones, Jack Leek, Maury Rose, Red Vogt, "Gorgeous George" Wagner, Lee Wallard, Phil Walters, and Gar Wood Jr. Pretty impressive names, Huh. These had all been and gone before I arrived in March of 1965. Several of these were of course associated with Mr. K's car racing back in the 50's and there were remnants of those days still extant in the garages out back such as the car lifts, hot honing machine and valve grinding equipment.
    A couple of other names of guys that came into the V6 project shortly after it started are Ron Anderson and Joe Harrelson, both engineers who contributed much. You may be familiar with Ron because he's the guy that took the production "Black Max" and made it into the fire-breathing T3 race engine you have today. He later went on to have his own prop shop and marina out in Seattle. Joe went on to become a college professor at a school out in CA. teaching engine design. He also designed and built a large V4 engine used by a group to set a world motorcycle speed record a few years back.
    While I'm at it, I'd like to recognize several other people who played major rolls in the V6 project, it certainly was not a one man show. Robert "Bob" Johnson (RTJ) manager of outboard engineering and manager of plant 6 is the guy who gave me the list of requirements for the engine, which I listed in my previous entry. So I can only suppose he's the one that originated the "Black Max" V6 idea. It may have come down from higher up the ladder but I doubt it. Kiekhaefer was pretty much out of the picture by then (1970) and I doubt was even aware there was a new engine in the offing. I often wondered how he felt about the V6 later when he did find out about it. Probably wasn't happy about it displacing his "baby" the inline 6. Other contributors were Dick Lanpheer, our sound and vibration engineer who took over management of the V6 project shortly after it got started; Al Tyner, my board man who did all the detail design of the engine; Dave Kusche, who did the cowling design and worked closely with our stylist Art Miller, who did a fantastic job styling that original engine. I still think that was the best looking of all the "Black Max" cowls. Then there was Elmer Croisant, responsible for the undercarriage; Bob Schmeidel, electrical; and Jim Meininger, carburetion.
    I'll get on with the design next time.
    Jerry,

this is is a great thread with some amazing history and innovation. We love our Black Max on our Ski Boat. Owned it since new, never skipped a beat, never been rebuilt, still rips the ski rope out of my hand! Hands down the most reliable engine I have ever owned. We loved it then, and we love it now. Here is a pic, still lookin new......

13. Thanks rckid74 thanked for this post
    Likes WillySteve liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know why I just now saw this thread but glad I was surfing around S&F......Totally the best reading I've had in many years and read all 27 pages Non-Stop!!!
    Brings up many memories from way back when....even thought about the old Merc78A that had no neutral!!!!
    That thing would fly in it's day but hell in a cranking battery
    Thanks to all and especially Jerry Hale!!!!

15. Thanks rckid74 thanked for this post
    Likes olboatman liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by milkdud View Post
    I find this very interesting. That adaptor plate putting Old Blue on a L6 mid is nicely done. Did you have to make a special exhaust tuner for Old Blue or did the L6 tuner work?

Its interesting to know how far back development went for the V-6. Also interesting to know that Mercury did not sit on there hands with the L6 as the V6 was being developed. 1970 1972 and 1973 were all notable design advances for the L6 regarding piston design and exhaust design.

You were around some of the coolest 6 cyl motors made. From 89 cubes to 93 cubes to 99 then your V6 122.

Thanks
    Conrad
    I don't really remember what I did for the exhaust extensions in the DSH. It's fairly obvious there would not have been enough room for the tuners as is available in the production V6. I probably just squeezed in as much as I could and let it go at that.If Mark Wilson (presently restoring her at his shop in FL.) ever pulls that apart he can tell us what's there.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Onetime View Post
    Everybody following this thread feels the same way about the marvelous piece of engineering you did creating the Mercury V-6.
    Jerry, let us know when you would like some questions. I'm sure there are lots out there just holding back. I know I am! Only problem will be there will be lots and lots of questions.
    I am open for questions. Just remember that I really was not involved in the T3 racing engine.You need to talk to Ron Anderson for that. Infact, I haven't had anything to do with Black Max for 41 years.I was taken off the V6 project in the summer of '76 and have had no contact with it since.

18. Likes WillySteve, W2F a V-King liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rckid74 View Post
    I am open for questions. Just remember that I really was not involved in the T3 racing engine.You need to talk to Ron Anderson for that. Infact, I haven't had anything to do with Black Max for 41 years.I was taken off the V6 project in the summer of '76 and have had no contact with it since.
    I don't have a question, but a huge Thank You for the role you played in helping to create the V6 Mercury's.

My first one was in spring of 1977, bought a 15' Checkmate that had the first year 1750 on it. It had destroyed the transom on that boat. I restored the boat and used the 1750 for about 1-1/2 years LOVED IT. Then bought a 1979 200 and sold the 1750. Rode that combo for YEARS...Never had issue with either of those motors.

Have had umteen Merc V6 motors since...still have 3 in my arsenal right now. They run hard, run fast, and are reliable, and easy to repair when they do fail.

THANK YOU !!

James H.

PS...And Thank You for all the time you invested in this thread with all the documentation provided.

20. Thanks rckid74 thanked for this post
    Likes RBT, WillySteve liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanx to you too James H. --- Here's to black power

22. Likes W2F a V-King, slowJEEP liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jerry, Did you ever think that your design could produce over 400 H.P., as it does these days? Incredible. https://youtu.be/XZkxJJrB9ZM
    Last edited by FUJIMO; 02-08-2017 at 01:44 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FUJIMO View Post
    Jerry, Did you ever think that your design could produce over 400 H.P., as it does these days? Incredible. https://youtu.be/XZkxJJrB9ZM
    I really do find that hard to believe. I recently owned a Ford Mustang that pulled just over 400 HP., and that was with all the bells and whistles like dual overhead cams, variable valve timing, 4 valves/cyl, fuel injection, etc. etc. but that was a 5 liter engine -- twice the size of the present Merc T3. How have the engineers at Merc increased the power that much?? I know a lot of it is from upping the R's to nearly 10 grand, and of course, the whole induction system is much more free flowing, but that still seems like a lot!! And I'm amazed it still holds together with all that going on. I'd love to pull one apart to see how things have changed since '76. Can someone tell me just what the so called Bridgeport engine is all about?

25. Likes Kitch liked this post
Page 27 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 LastLast