Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KG4 View Post
    Just curious.Thanks
    136.381 is the fastest "recorded" that I'm aware of.......1973
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mert 2 pipe.jpg  
    Last edited by willabee; 04-06-2007 at 01:58 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim Merten Sr. 2 way average 136 or 139

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Merten

Hey Willabee, What's the deal with Merten's hydro? It looks like a modern photo and I notice it looks like 1980's decals on the Merc. Also looks like it was make at an airport. About 1990 my boat owner went to Merten Junior's place to get some engine advice on our Unlimited Outboard Drag boat "The Sting" and he said he thought he saw that boat in the rafters at Merten's shop. Merten did come to a drag race with us to help us out in North Carolina.
    We were a Merc dealer for 35 years and now it is beyond exciting to hear all the inside scoop you ex Merc employees provide! Many many thanks!
    Barron Cooley

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by warrior74z View Post
    Hey Willabee, What's the deal with Merten's hydro? It looks like a modern photo and I notice it looks like 1980's decals on the Merc. Also looks like it was make at an airport.
    That's mdb29's photo, and he said he has the boat stored in his hangar.....said the pipes were added for show (they are not the type used for the record run).....maybe the wraparound cowling decals were updated for show.....maybe mdb29 can give you more info.

Look at post #239 on the "Hot Singles" thread, the one on the right side shows the twin pipe system actually used. It does look like whatever it says behind the word "Mercury" in the airport photo was not on the cowling for the run.

I think it's fitting that a photo of that boat was taken at an airport, it could really "fly" .
    Last edited by willabee; 04-08-2007 at 10:53 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about how fast with a inline someone might actually have like a 1500XS, Twister, TII-X.
    Bruster's Mercury solid motor mounts, details here:
    http://www.powercatboat.com/Bruster/Bruster.html
    I'm been living in fast forward, now I need to rewind real slow....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is from memory so the speeds may not be 100% accurate but are in the ballpark
    David Lee had an SJ record with a 150xs in the low to mid 100's 103-106.

I also remember Steve Robertson going 90-91 in a 15 Allison with a 150xs to set a NOA record.
    I think Louis Collins, who is sometimes on this board, ran a Laser v bottom with a 150xs right at 90 as well.

Glen Reynolds held a NOA Bass Boat record at 85 MPH with a stock 150 inline on a 17 or 18 ft Allison.

Willabee, Butler or Rich Luhrs could probably give you more info of the t-2 records. I think Herring went 119 or so. It was probably one of the S version factory motors that were not for sale to the public at the time.

Brghauer, I think, held an UJ record at 113 but I am not sure

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Washburn View Post
    Willabee, Butler or Rich Luhrs could probably give you more info of the t-2 records. I think Herring went 119 or so. It was probably one of the S version factory motors that were not for sale to the public at the time....Brghauer, I think, held an UJ record at 113 but I am not sure
    Check post #272 on "Hot Singles".....Hering @ 118.441 for new "S" mark - Duane Berghauer @ 113.271 for new "U" mark
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Copy of PB7374 056.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You also have to look at the speeds recorded on the "wings"........multi engine in lines....

I believe Kitson ran 119 in an NOA kilo......... and Schoonover had a fast turn as well. There also are Lake X test sheets showing Wing speeds in the high teens through the measured speed traps.

What is most impressive about those numbers is that they were set well before the Twisters and 6 carb variants of the inlines came out.

T2x
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have often wondered "How fast was the twin engine Molinari that Sirois drove the last year he won or the one that Ronato had with the T1's.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of wing speed records...don't forget Ernie Threlkeld. Jan Schoonover, Kenny Kitson and Ernie Threlkeld were all going back and forth for the kilo records. It was kind of like a arms race between them back in the day. As TX2 points out I think Kenny set the fastest in the end.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    You also have to look at the speeds recorded on the "wings"........multi engine in lines.....I believe Kitson ran 119 in an NOA kilo......... and Schoonover had a fast turn as well. There also are Lake X test sheets showing Wing speeds in the high teens through the measured speed traps.....What is most impressive about those numbers is that they were set well before the Twisters and 6 carb variants of the inlines came out.....T2x
    I'd guess that Bruster was talking about singles. If so, I'd say low teens is the best you could run if you bought the right boat and set it up to go fast on calm water with a TII or TII-X (comments on that statement ought to be interesting ).

The record setting Wings were all 18'ers. Schnoover @109 with 1100 stackers.....then Threlkeld went about 115 with stacked Johnson 115's. Schnoover blew over trying to get the record back and then Kitson with stacked 1250's got it back for Merc around 119.....Threlkeld blew over trying to get it back. Those are the speeds as I remember them, I don't know where to look to confirm.....Old fiberglass could ask Kitson about Earnie's and his, I think Jan's is correct.

The twin 20' Wings were slower than the 18's with the power of the day, and the triples were even slower. When the power went up, no one seemed to be very interested in "Flying" one of those boats any faster than the existing record.....I sure don't blame them .

They got some cool pictures of "Flying Wings" from Lake X prior to the Schnoover record of 109, but I have to think that the speeds grew as people saw the photos and talked about it. Speeds in the teens back then with the stacked 1000's on the wooden hulls? I'd bet the 1000 was a stock engine with an open exhaust system installed, not the hand built stuff that came later.....and props sure got a lot better after the time of the Lake X boats.

I remember talking to Merten prior to the 1969 Parker 9 hour. On the Wednesday before the race he said he felt he was in big trouble because he was running in the low 90's and most of the Wing drivers he was talking to said that they were running at or over 100. He kept testing, looking for more speed. By Friday, he was back to smiling and I asked how much more he had found. He said " Didn't find any more, but my 90 mile per hour boat has passed every one of those 100 mile per hour rigs out there.".....he and Boots Spellman did finish 1st outboard and 2nd overall that year .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wet&wild06.jpg   wet&wild.01.parker1969.jpg   PB68&69 024.jpg  
    Last edited by willabee; 04-14-2007 at 12:48 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by willabee View Post
    I'd guess that Bruster was talking about singles. If so, I'd say low teens is the best you could run if you bought the right boat and set it up to go fast on calm water with a TII or TII-X (comments on that statement ought to be interesting ).

If memory serves we were running about 112-114 with T2x's (stock) on the later sprint hulls...... This was set up in race trim with 14:15 lowers..... We had 1:1's but never used them.

The interesting thing is my 28' Skater/2X300x runs at 120+ with a complete interior... 30 gallons of fuel, and safety equipment...plus it shifts, and you can use it for cruising.

Things have sure changed.

T2x
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails my pictures 056.jpg  
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Washburn View Post
    I have often wondered "How fast was the twin engine Molinari that Sirois drove the last year he won or the one that Ronato had with the T1's.
    Don't know, but I'd say the faster of the two was Renato's (he ran with 1350 stackers not TI's). Merten may have orginally set the other boat up using a Keller, but I don't recall any quoted speeds and I don't think there was a speedo in the boat when Sirois started testing at Havasu. As a matter of fact, I overheard Sirois when he got out of that boat after his first test. He said something like "This race is going to be a piece of cake. I think I'll test some more props just to make it look like it needs something, but this turkey is ready to run." Renato didn't need a Keller, the seat of his britches told him how he was running. Those boats were never set up to see how fast they could go, but I would think in "Havasu" trim with a two hour fuel load, they were about 110 mph.....a little faster light on fuel, in good water.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PB68&69 053.jpg   Power Boat Mag 052.jpg   Power Boat Mag 053.jpg  
    Last edited by willabee; 04-09-2007 at 01:56 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by willabee View Post
    Don't know, but I'd say the faster of the two was Renato's (he ran with 1350 stackers not TI's). Merten may have orginally set the other boat up using a Keller, but I don't recall any quoted speeds and I don't think there was a speedo in the boat when Sirois started testing at Havasu. As a matter of fact, I overheard Sirois when he got out of that boat after his first test. He said something like "This race is going to be a piece of cake. I think I'll test some more props just to make it look like it needs something, but this turkey is ready to run." Renato didn't need a Keller, the seat of his britches told him how he was running. Those boats were never set up to see how fast they could go, but I would think in "Havasu" trim with a two hour fuel load, they were about 110 mph.....a little faster light on fuel, in good water.
    Willabee:

How much slower were the twin/triple Jones hulls?

T2x
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast