Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome video Keith, just the inspiration I needed to finish mine.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kimswang View Post
    Standby Keith - New HUGE number to unveiled SOON!!
    Hey Kim, you still think you need to run your motors so deep? Mine still jumps right up on plane: Video planing off
    Keith-

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keith

The Oceanhawk was leased to Cigarette for 5 years..they called it a 33 Cafe Open..Phil Cardelli designed it and builds it now..mine weighs about 7000 lbs with about 100 gallons of gas, and is 17 years old..but looks like new..They could never get over 64 mph, with V8's or Merc 275 efi's or Opti's..they borrowed my props regularly..we were pretty tight for years..Their main tester and troubleshooter Bud Lorow is a good friend..he is still there..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails oceanhawk 001.jpg   cigarette small.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool looking boat. What does the cabin look like? Before I bought my Scarab, I did look at a 1987 Cigarette Decathalon 31...looks quite similar. Was it?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keith

Only being a center console..A friend had one of those with 3 v8's on it..it would run pretty good but mine was faster..I will try to get some more pics for you..had the upholstery done over a couple years ago..just put in the new BRD gauges and a carbon fiber panel from Brett May..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mt Dora 2007 015.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The boat pictured above supposedly was rigged previously with trip V8's (notice triple sticks and gauges).

Thanks for the info.

What it's coming down to is that other than the two NY boats listed above with prototype racing 3.4's and EFI, that my rig runs pretty good. I'm pleased with that...and still looking for more.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by STV_Keith View Post
    Hey Kim, you still think you need to run your motors so deep? Mine still jumps right up on plane: Video planing off

Well, we know for a fact that I have to do something. My mid is about even with the bottom right now, and the outers are way deep. One idea would be to lift all of them 5" with a 5" piece of aluminum welded on to the already heavyily modified bracket, and then put my 5" extension on the center. I think that will bring me pretty close, but I am awaiting a few e-mails from people who has done this before to see what kind of setup / result they have. Videos are awesome though, can't wait to join you on a trip to the Zoo, never been there!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any chance you'll be ready for poker run weekend? That's 4 weekends away (April 28-29). I should be heading down Friday morning (27th).

I still say you need to put low water pickups on all of them and move them up. That center motor will want to be at least 2-3 inches (propshaft height) above the bottom with all that setback.
    Keith-

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any chance you'll be ready for poker run weekend? That's 4 weekends away (April 28-29). I should be heading down Friday morning (27th).

I still say you need to put low water pickups on all of them and move them up. That center motor will want to be at least 2-3 inches (propshaft height) above the bottom with all that setback.
    Boat will be, but I didn't get the time off from work. Will try to make someone take my trip, but its pending on that.

I have more input on engine heights than whats good for me. Will prolly fire up engines at the end of this week. Will do what I can to avoid the low water pick up - surfacing prop - idea. If I could only get an answer to how much the water raises behind the transom at 70MPH, I would get a very good starting point.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1" up for every 5" back.
    Keith-

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have heard from 1" up for every 1-1/2' back, to yours of 1" up for every 5".. Confused..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not a very good picture, but here is one I shot this last weekend of where the water is breaking my gearcases.

As you can see, it's probably 5-6" above the propshaft C/L, based on it hitting the leading edge of the gearcase, about 2" under the water passages from the nose cone.

That being said, and knowing that my gearcases are 3/4" below the bottom to the C/L of the propshaft, that means the water is up around 5-5.5" when it hits. The point of the nosecose is 28" back from the bottom of the boat directly in front of it, so the leading edge of the case should be just shy of 30" back. 30" back = 6" up with my formual (well, my prop guys' formula). So, this should be 6" up - 3/4" below the bottom = 5.25" ...pretty close to where the water is intersecting now.

Here's a video...not so great, but you can see some of where the water is hitting as well. Running Video of gearcases (right click and "save target as").
    Keith-

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not a very good picture, but here is one I shot this last weekend of where the water is breaking my gearcases.

As you can see, it's probably 5-6" above the propshaft C/L, based on it hitting the leading edge of the gearcase, about 2" under the water passages from the nose cone.

That being said, and knowing that my gearcases are 3/4" below the bottom to the C/L of the propshaft, that means the water is up around 5-5.5" when it hits. The point of the nosecose is 28" back from the bottom of the boat directly in front of it, so the leading edge of the case should be just shy of 30" back. 30" back = 6" up with my formual (well, my prop guys' formula). So, this should be 6" up - 3/4" below the bottom = 5.25" ...pretty close to where the water is intersecting now.
    Very helpful info there, Thanks a million. Looks like if I extend my mid 5" and then lift all three 5", I should be very close to target.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With all your setback, I'd imagine that your mid motor needs to come up if you want speed (you will need the low water pickups though). I'm sure that setup will be fine for fishing, but for the speed numbers you want, you will have to get the gearcases up a LOT.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My mid motor has the propshaft C/L 3/4" above bottom, the outers are the problems. Will prolly lift them all 5" and then add my extension to the mid. That should give me a very good starting point.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast