Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Motor

I asked about this motor at the NY Boat show,it was not avail. and no info was either.
    Gone*
    Glasspar G3*
    GW Invader*
    Allison SS2000*
    Allison XR 2002*
    Centurion Barefoot Warrior*
    Glastron CSS 16*
    1988 Viper/never rigged or wet*
    1988 Sanger Barefoot V4
    2000 Sea Ray 280SS cruiser
    Wooden 16 Adirondack Guide Boat
    Lowe fishin boat 6hp OMC
    1995 Donzi 22 Classic*
    1996 Donzi 22 Classic*
    Hydstm VooDoo*

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can buy a carb 150 or 175 V-6 from a few years ago (before the cowling change) that weighs less (370). if you are not married to new green motors. They run very well.

jim

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't count on it. I would expect to see further development in the smaller horsepower motors and possibly something in the big fishin motor area...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why does the v4 weigh that much? I thought etec didn't have the huge air pump merc did? That seems to be the complaint with the opti anyway from what I read, I have never seen either in person with the cowl off.

I know BRP can make the hp in them, just not sure they will. I can't see why they would print the manual that way if they didn't have the product however, unless it got held back.

England. (The wrong side of the pond for fuel)!
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
    I know BRP can make the hp in them, just not sure they will. I can't see why they would print the manual that way if they didn't have the product however, unless it got held back.
    Hi all, new here from across the "pond".
    We've got the news here that the V4 130 etec can't meet the 3 star regs!
    Is this how it is "over there" ????

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know, but sounds reasonable. I never figured hp per ci but the Mercs seem to be able to make good clean power with their DI...be it at higher rpm though. But BRP has not been there long either.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

evinrude.com

that should round up aany answers

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BRP deemed that there was not a large enough market for the 130 when they already offered a 115 that had plenty of grunt to it. The 115 is a very potent package and performs as well as the old 130's did. The 130 would be to fill a void that really isn't there (the gap from 115 to 150). To them 15hp really wasn't the end of the world when you figure in the intended market for the motor, the 115 being pontoons and small bay boats....

BRP is able to make some real horsepower out of the Etec package. It has been tested and the injectors, rods, etc, can hold up to and operate at 10,000rpm....

BRP is going to turn some heads this year.

The Etec does not have an air pump, alternator, high pressure pumps, all the stuff that makes the HPDI and Opti so heavy. What makes the Etec heavy is the over sized bearings, over sized rods, basically everything is beefed up for longevity. I am not sure of the 115, but the 2 cyl models actually use the same rods, pistons, etc as the big block 3.3 225 Etec.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AwesomeBullet View Post
    BRP deemed that there was not a large enough market for the 130 when they already offered a 115 that had plenty of grunt to it. The 115 is a very potent package and performs as well as the old 130's did. The 130 would be to fill a void that really isn't there (the gap from 115 to 150). To them 15hp really wasn't the end of the world when you figure in the intended market for the motor, the 115 being pontoons and small bay boats....

That is what they all say, fact is what kind of HP can one buy that is not a V6? What do you put on a non-pontoon that can't handle a V6? They all wonder why that smaller boat market is hurting when they don't offer anything for it. Likely what they found out is they can't charge 25% more for that 15hp, just like everyone else figures.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So either they wasted a lot of money engineering this 130 (doubt it), or it would not cost them much to produce. Anyone who likes a fast boat knows the highest HP in X-size motor is best. Same reason NASCAR drivers don't like restrictor plates.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone who likes a fast boat knows the highest HP in X-size motor is best.
    Bingo! You answered yourself right there. The go fast community is a VERY small segment of the boating world. Your average consumer can't justify extra $$ for just 15hp when they would never notice the difference anyways. Most of the average consumers are satisfied with the stock auminum props too. I've taken the 115 out on a 19' Larson fish-n-ski and felt it had plenty of power for that combo. Got up and ran no problem with the livewell full and two passengers plus driver. It has a lot more torque than people give it credit for.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, car makers don't always make money on special models either but they do it for image building. If BRP wants to get in the game with Merc, it will take more than cool infomercials. You can't tell me there is no perfomance customers when you have S&F at this size and Merc is still making perf models in most ranges. When you get up to 200hp people buying those have more to spend on performance yes, just like the supercharged I/Os are even more yet. So no they can't charge much for 15HP but the Neon SRT4 was not very pricey either and people loved it. I bet that motor costs them near nothing additional to produce from the 115, maybe a couple extra warranty claims from abuse is all.

Every V4 I have been in had piles of torque. Once my inlaw had a 19' deck boat (heavy all glass sylvan or something) and it was a trihull with a 35hp. It could almost get on plane with a brand new alum prop. We found an old 85hp V4 that didn't even have power trim on it. Slapped it on that thing and it would pop on plane in a few boatlengths with a stock SS prop. But when it revved out there was nothing there. Once on plane you could gas it and it would set you back in the seat but still didn't go real fast, maybe mid 30s. My 85 force I3 in no way has that kind of torque, on a little 16 bayliner it would have to work to pull one skier. It will run 43gps though.

I could be wrong, but with the price of gas more people might be looking at smaller boats in the future.

England. (The wrong side of the pond for fuel)!
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is what they all say, fact is what kind of HP can one buy that is not a V6? What do you put on a non-pontoon that can't handle a V6? They all wonder why that smaller boat market is hurting when they don't offer anything for it. Likely what they found out is they can't charge 25% more for that 15hp, just like everyone else figures.
    So either they wasted a lot of money engineering this 130 (doubt it), or it would not cost them much to produce. Anyone who likes a fast boat knows the highest HP in X-size motor is best. Same reason NASCAR drivers don't like restrictor plates.
    Quote Originally Posted by AwesomeBullet View Post
    Bingo! You answered yourself right there. The go fast community is a VERY small segment of the boating world. Your average consumer can't justify extra $$ for just 15hp when they would never notice the difference anyways. Most of the average consumers are satisfied with the stock auminum props too. I've taken the 115 out on a 19' Larson fish-n-ski and felt it had plenty of power for that combo. Got up and ran no problem with the livewell full and two passengers plus driver. It has a lot more torque than people give it credit for.
    sho305, your so right on both counts there!

AwesomeBullet, the go fast community is alive and kicking in the UK & some parts of Europe ,,,, (EU - sucks).

Why is it that the 130 will be a 25% increase in cost over the 115. If they drop the 115 and produce the 130 only, they'll have a proper class motor that nothing can match.

Don't forget guys that it costs £5 an English gallon over here!

We raced the XR2 for a long time here, an hours race was almost 100 of the queens pounds! The 115 cost 25 of her finest. Average loss of speed ,,,, 10mph (IIRC).

Bring on the 130!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast