Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Terry Rinker Wins Grand Prix of Savannah

Terry Rinker Wins Grand Prix of Savannah –
    Seventh Consecutive Victory Sets New World Record

FOND DU LAC, WI. Nov. 07, 2006 – Mercury Racing-powered Terry Rinker won the inaugural Grand Prix of Savannah on Sunday, Nov. 05, on the Savannah River in downtown Savannah. The 50-lap Grand Prix was the seventh and final round of the 2006 ChampBoat Grand Prix Series presented by Mercury Racing.

With this victory, the Tampa, FL., native set a new world record for the most consecutive victories in outboard tunnel boat racing history. Nine-time UIM Formula 1 outboard tunnel boat racer Guido Cappellini of Como, Italy previously held the title.

High winds and strong currents created rough course conditions as 20 drivers qualified on Saturday for the 50-lap final race on Sunday. Rinker captured the pole position Saturday with a lap time of 32.45 seconds at a top-speed of 124.807 mph.

Rough course conditions Sunday resulted in multiple accidents and a total of five starts within the first 12 laps. Only six of the 20 starters completed the event.

At the start, Rinker led the 20-boat field into turn one – followed closely by Shaun Torrente and Tim Seebold. The race came to a quick stop when Jeff Sheperd barrel-rolled his Hooters-sponsored boat in turn four. On the restart, Brian Normand’s Swipes-sponsored boat came to rest at the entrance of turn one, forcing the officials to once again stop the race with a mere two laps completed.

Wyatt Nelson succumbed to the rough turn four on lap eight, forcing officials to stop the event once again.

n the third restart, local driver Michael “Hurricane” Floyd’s boat blew over on the back stretch, forcing the final restart. Accidents and attrition reduced the field down to 10 with 38 laps remaining.

Rinker once again led the field off the start dock to the first turn with Torrente hounding Rinker and Tim Seebold at a distant third. Illinois driver Lynn Simburger and Brian Venton of Torronto, Ontario held the fourth and fifth slots, respectively. Torrente came very close to passing Rinker at both ends of the course – but Rinker clearly had more power, out? accelerating Torrente every time. Rinker held his commanding lead to capture his seventh consecutive checker flag to end the perfect season. Torrente, Seebold, Simburger and Venton rounded 2-5. All were powered by Mercury 2.5 Liter Champ EFI race outboards.

“It is a dream come true and I couldn’t have done this without my fine crew who prepared a perfect boat and all I had to do was get it to the finish,” stated Rinker. “We look forward to keep the streak alive in ’07, we aren’t going to lie down now that we have the record, and we want to extend it in the worst way.”

Miami Florida native Shaun Torrente had his best finish of the season.

“I never thought I’d be happy for second, but I am today,” said Torrente. “I’m so excited and now we can carry this confidence into next season.”

2006 Champ Class Final Standings
    1. Terry Rinker
    2. Tim Seebold
    3. Lynn Simburger
    4. Shaun Torrente
    5. Chris Fairchild
    6. Wyatt Nelson
    7. Brian Normand
    8. Jeff Sheperd
    9. Brian Venton
    10. Randy Rinker

2006 Champ 2 (SST 120) Class Final Standings
    1. Kris Shepard
    2. Scott Landgraf
    3. Jay Fox
    4. Glyn Mathews
    5. John Broge
    6. Gary Pugh
    7. Steven Fryza
    8. Michael Schubert
    9. John Jorewitz
    10. Johnny Fleming

Additional information can be found on the official Web site for the ChampBoat Grand Prix Series at www.champboatracing.com.

About Mercury Racing

Based in Fond Du Lac, WI., Mercury Racing, a division of Mercury Marine, is a leading provider of high-performance marine propulsion systems to discriminating boaters worldwide, offering an exciting and fulfilling powerboating experience on the water.

Using leading-edge technology, Mercury Racing produces high-performance outboards, sterndrives, propellers, parts and accessories.

Mercury Racing-powered boats worldwide win more races and set more records than any boats powered by other marine engine manufacturers.

Mercury Marine is a division of Brunswick Corp. (NYSE: BC), the world’s largest manufacturer of recreational products, including pleasure boats, marine engines, fitness equipment, and bowling and billiards.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mercuryracing.gif 
Views:	416 
Size:	7.8 KB 
ID:	118158  

Facebook | YouTube | Vintage Outboard Catalogs
    Photo prints available of your boat - click here