Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rough Water Cat, Lake of the Ozarks

Does anyone boat at the Lake of the Ozarks? Just wanted to know which small cat would handle this lake the best. The locals call it the washing machine, because waves are coming from every direction. On weekends the main channel is constant 4-5 foot waves. I don't plan on going out there, except during the week. It's extremely rough. I don't have the money to buy a 30', so I have been looking for something in the low 20 foot range.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At 20 foot mark your describing a 21 skater...

4-5' waves will depend on the person, most waves that people told me were 4-5 while out in the boat looked more like 2 footers to me....regardless I would say your only choice is a 21 skater for a rough water cat at 20 feet.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info. Lake of the Ozarks suprises most people their first time there. I've been told it is the roughest lake in the US based on boat traffic, not winds. People that boat mainly in the ocean or big open lakes have a hard time adjusting to random waves from every direction. You can't get a rythem down.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ondtip
    People that boat mainly in the ocean or big open lakes have a hard time adjusting to random waves from every direction. You can't get a rythem down.
    Very true. In a boat as "small" as your looking for I think you will find good recommendatiosn on the 21 skater for a Cat of that size, Cat's will really offer more options as you get bigger. Don't forget teh cost of insuring a cat.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on where you are planning on boating? On the weekend and between 3 mile marker to about 25 mile marker it is just crazy? I had my Talon 22 with twins there last year at the shootout. Worst thing about it was with twins I could not go slow because the front was always bouncing and the fear of stuffing in the bottom of the dam crusier wakes. Did get to trade up a week after that. A Skater type would do a lot better. On the weekend it is just almost no fun in my 30
    Branson, Mo

Current boat
    Excalibur?Riviera 45
    28 Pantera Race Outboards

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 26 foot American Offshore tunnel that would be wet at 25 mph in the water you're talking about.But my shorter 23 Daytona tunnel with more banana in the bottom rides suprisingly dry at that speed in the same nasty water.And my 21 Daytona v-drive just might go to the bottom if I'm not carefull.I've driven the 21 skater,nice boat.For the price drive the 23 Daytona before you buy.Actualy I think the 23 takes more water than the 21 all the way around.JUUUUST my opinion.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for the size the 23 daytona will go over some nasty lake slop. 3 to 4' ers i love it when you give rides and look for the wakeboard boat wakes hit them at 30 and launch into the air or go over similar wakes at 90 and never feel a thing that freaks them out.its fun. were not talkin ozarks never been there brad z was there for the shoot out with his 39 mti and said it was rough water.
    Last edited by eli; 09-12-2006 at 08:40 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    anything under 28' is pushing your luck. every time I go down there I want to take my 21' cat. On the main channel on the weekend waves are in the 4' to 5' range, leaving party cove can be real bad at sunset up to 6'. I have been tossed like a rag doll in a 30 footer and saw a 38' Spectre Cat flipped in the main channel. Hey but at the shootout I saw four people in a 21ft Elimantor in the main channel

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got to see this!

Somebody post so pics of 4-6 foot high chop caused by boat wakes. Is this lake offshore Hawaii? Kinda hard to belive. Is the wind blowing 20+ mph too? I don't know how the would even be a market for boats under 30' in a place like that.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 21 Skater is a great boat in the chop, BUT you have to be traveling at 50 plus for tunnel to have any effect. Anything under that and the hull is wet, and not airing out. The wave we hit was 4ft plus and engulfed the WHOLE bow of the boat. And we were not going fast( 40 to 43 mph). If the wave are that big, I really think nothing that small will be that enjoyable. Just my .02 Chuck
    CHUCK & TRACY FREELAND

1990 25 Talon with twin Merc. 300XS's
    1983 Mako 21 with Merc. 225.
    www.Fullthrottlepowerboats.com

NEVER FORGET 9/11

Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cellphone, food stamps, section 8 housing, a six-pack of beer and he'll vote for a Democrat the rest of his life.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The main problem at Lake of the Ozarks that causes all the huge waves are when the cruiser come out. 540 Searays 580 Searays, ocean style Carvers all in the 40- 55 foot range. There not going slow ether. The express cruisers are running 35mph plus ad the ocean boats are at max wake speed about 20. Not one or two but most of the time there are 10-15 with in sight on the main channel. It is more like a highway after you mix in all the bowriders, fastboats, jetjkis and the twice ayear boaters in the 70s tri hull. . When you get to the end of the cove, stop look both ways, and pull in to traffic.

There are very few boat sold less than 30' if it is newer than 1996, most of the smaller boats are getting sold to other lake areas.
    Branson, Mo

Current boat
    Excalibur?Riviera 45
    28 Pantera Race Outboards

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey beer30. Do you think the hull was fixed before you bought it and that's why it came apart, or are they just that thin?

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one to think Lake O is rough. I actually do most of my boating during the week, but it would be nice to get somewhere on the weekend if I had to.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try the 26' "SCALYCAT".......
    THERE IS NO 26' THAT EATS UP BIG SEA...
    EXCEPT THIS ONE....
    http://forums.screamandfly.com/forum...d.php?t=113977
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ondtip
    Hey beer30. Do you think the hull was fixed before you bought it and that's why it came apart, or are they just that thin?

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one to think Lake O is rough. I actually do most of my boating during the week, but it would be nice to get somewhere on the weekend if I had to.
    Did not know when I bought it that there had been a repair. Found out by calling Skater and talking to Peter Hedlin, gave him my Hin#. Told me that the first owner broke a sponson off in Lake Michigan. The boat came back on a roll back. Peter's shop foreman got the boat and repaired by putting it back in the mold. Peter also said after his shop foreman repaired it that it was " one of the three best 21 Skater ever built." I think the boat was great, that night the boat just ran into a rouge wave it could not handle.
    That is why I made my comments above, just don't want it to happen to anybody else. And the lake in question sounds like that could happen quite easily. Chuck
    CHUCK & TRACY FREELAND

1990 25 Talon with twin Merc. 300XS's
    1983 Mako 21 with Merc. 225.
    www.Fullthrottlepowerboats.com

NEVER FORGET 9/11

Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cellphone, food stamps, section 8 housing, a six-pack of beer and he'll vote for a Democrat the rest of his life.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been down to Lake of the Ozarks only a few times......and that was several years ago when I had a 21 Scarab. Even out of the main channel it would get tossed around like a toy. When these guys are talking about 5-6' wakes out in the center of the channel, they are not joking. I've been told by several people with 28'+ boat's that they don't even go there anymore....they go down to Tablerock.

I think the biggest problem with Lake of the Ozarks is all of the 50'+ ocean cruisers out there. They are enormous boats, and pit out HUGE wakes. My boat of choice would be a 40-foot cat......but those get expensive

What about a 21-22 Superboat or Progression? How would they hold up?
    Ian

...boatless for now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast