Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Barracuda Tunnel Project

This Fall will be the beginning of a makeover project for my 16' 1970 Barracuda Tunnel using the same 1969 1250 MERC.
    I am the original owner. I have obtained a 6" setback bracket, had the gearcase re-worked by Bob's Machine in FL to move the water pickup to the bottom of the nosecone. We are running with a foot throttle & power trim on the steering now.
    My Son owns a 16' 1972 Barracuda Tunnel that came with a 1500 MERC.
    He will be using a MERC 225 EFI V6 with racing exhaust tower & full shift/low water pickup gearcase for his project.
    Kind of a Father/Son deal.
    Will post progress updates periodically with possible pictures.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Hi O B. Welcome to S & F. I hope you'll post pictures of the projects before and after.

I also hope that y'all are experienced enough to realize the dangers of putting today's power on a 60's/70's technology tunnel. I'm not familiar with the Baracuda, but many of the early tunnels had a lot of lift (angle of attack) in the tunnel to get max speed from the low horse engines of that time period, and putting a V6 on one can be a near Russian Rulett type excersize. Good luck with the projects, but be especially careful with the overpowered one.
    Membership upgrade options: http://www.screamandfly.com/payments.php

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Sounds like a Mag Missle or similiar

Guys, please reconsider your choice of power. I'm no expert but Raceman is. He's being nice and no one wants to hurt your feelings or curb your wonderful enthusiasm for this project and our sport. But he's telling you that is too much power. It could blow over and severly injure (or worse) the driver. Please do a search for Magnum Missle on this site and read some of the horror stories. Norris, please get Parker to tell his story about overpowered older tunnel hulls. Please post pics of the boat, especially the tunnel and let these guys with a lifetime of exp. and knowlege give you some good advice. Your post gives me a bad feeling. Good luck and be safe. Smitty

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Barracuda

Stay away from the V-6 power on this boat!! Blowovers come easy with a lot of weight on the transom and excess power. Listen to these guys and live!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Safety warnings

Like I said in the project blurb, I've owned this same boat from the day it was built. A big part of this endeavor includes using a 'Tunnel Hull Program' to help take most of the guess work out of it. We plan to re-work the tunnels & sponsons quite a bit. All testing will be done using the 1250 & the 1500 MERCS. The V6 won't even be considered until we have fine-tuned the hulls, if even then. We aren't suicidal.
    The builder realized the risk of a tunnel in the hands of the average weekend boater and they designed a fair amount of "hook" into the bottom to keep the nose down.
    The year after I bought my boat, the owner of the Co. raced one using two 1250 Mercs. They named it "POPCORN" and it ran away from everything on the water that day. Not many people knew what a 'tunnel' was in those days.
    Believe me, I'm not crazy, I just want to end up with an older boat that looks real good and totally stock from the water line up but has benefitted from 36 years of technology. My wife and I really enjoy cruising along and not having to slow down for other boat wakes. People are always surprised at how smooth it rides, especially in choppier water. If I can figure out how to post some pix, I will.
    PS: This is NOT a Carlson hull.................mucho better.
    Last edited by Oregon Barracuda; 08-28-2006 at 12:41 AM.

Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oregon Barracuda
    PS: This is NOT a Carlson hull..................
    Carlson's aren't particularly known for bad manners compared to the boats known as Magnum copies

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you'd like to see some video of your boat back when it raced, go to this link
    http://www.assist.neptune.com/#
    Then go to #39 (David M Potter) and pick the Northwest Racing 1971 - 72
    Shows your boat with two engines. I can't tell what they are, but they look like they have speedmasters.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Oregon Barracuda View Post
    Like I said in the project blurb, I've owned this same boat from the day it was built. A big part of this endeavor includes using a 'Tunnel Hull Program' to help take most of the guess work out of it. We plan to re-work the tunnels & sponsons quite a bit. All testing will be done using the 1250 & the 1500 MERCS. The V6 won't even be considered until we have fine-tuned the hulls, if even then. We aren't suicidal.
    The builder realized the risk of a tunnel in the hands of the average weekend boater and they designed a fair amount of "hook" into the bottom to keep the nose down.
    The year after I bought my boat, the owner of the Co. raced one using two 1250 Mercs. They named it "POPCORN" and it ran away from everything on the water that day. Not many people knew what a 'tunnel' was in those days.
    Believe me, I'm not crazy, I just want to end up with an older boat that looks real good and totally stock from the water line up but has benefitted from 36 years of technology. My wife and I really enjoy cruising along and not having to slow down for other boat wakes. People are always surprised at how smooth it rides, especially in choppier water. If I can figure out how to post some pix, I will.
    PS: This is NOT a Carlson hull.................mucho better.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the feedback.
    Point taken. I will continue to use my 1250, only I would like to run with less 'hook' in the running surface so I can use less up-trim and hopefully get a flatter attitude.
    How much would I benefit from adding "steps" in the running surface. Seems like a good way to reduce the "wetted surface".

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had the same boat..... BEWARE

Oregon Barracuda:

Interesting to see your post here on your 1970 Barracuda, I had this exact same boat. Same year, everything. By the way, I grew up in Oregon racing stock outboards. Just yesterday I posted a thread on Boat Racing Facts in the "Show Us Your Boat" section.

I live in Fairbanks, Alaska and this boat was originally purchased by a local car dealer new. He kept it on a nearby lake where it spent many years I am told. Pretty sure he had an inline 6 on it. It changed hands a couple times later on, and eventually, I saw an ad in the paper for the boat, complete with a Merc 150 V6 with parts engine. I bought the works for $1700 and started the restoration. It was in rough shape. Rather than rewrite everything I will give you the link to my post at:

http://www.********************/forum...ead.php?t=5452

I can see the experts here have chimed in here, so I won't add much. My "little voice" in my head is what kept me from seeing what the boat would do. I never went over 70 with it. After getting spooked I sold the boat but would not sell the engine with it, the buyer put a 90 on it, perfect combination I think.

Anyway, here is a photo of "Miss Barraduda".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails river.JPG  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Old Fiberglass

Hey Rick , give me a call I have something you can use. 512 791 6328 or 325 388 6681
    1960 Modern 16' w/short 600 DR Mercury
    1967 Carlson Contender/Mercury
    1970 Carlson CT-15/Mercury 135
    1999 26' Sleekcraft Mid Cabin/454 efi

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gemini;
    If you don't mind me asking, who are you ?? I lived in Spicewood from 1980 to 1988 Spicewood Beach. I drove for Glastron from 1968 to 1971.
    Worked with Harold Wilderson. Do you know "Meatball Murry"??

Joe Fielder

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first paragraph of this article indicates at least one Barracuda was raced with twin 125's back in the day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hamilton-a.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ttt.... only because i may be going against all reccomendations and getting one and adding a 150 promax SS to it.... at what speeds was blow over common... 60, 70, 70+ boat is temporary.... until i can find something better for the SS or rebuild the hydrostream

4-16-2014. 25 years old today... the fishin boat doesnt look to bad for a classic does she

things that were are no longer as they are today...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you still have your boat

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rigging the cuda...... 150 ss went away but a 20 in is here so riser is gunna go on and studs to mount engine will work until i can shorten..... bought the silver hull paul mayer used to have..... it is yellowed but still kinda pretty so debating what colors to do to freshen being gel is toast... but alas.... its getting a 150 2.5l mariner supermag think xr6 and a 1.87 cle for now... had the boat to long to not atleast go play until a 150xs is found.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0714112147.jpg  

4-16-2014. 25 years old today... the fishin boat doesnt look to bad for a classic does she

things that were are no longer as they are today...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast