Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

83.9 mph in the Talon

It's amazing what a little seat time will do. Each time I got the Talon into the mid 70's it would develop a little hop or bounce. I tried tinkering with the trim and jack plate but always wound up pulling back on the throttle. Yesterday I was watching the GPS flash 79 mph and I knew I had to break 80mph.....so I ignored the bounce, trimmed it up, brought the Jack Plate all the way up and ....drilled the throttle to the glass and guess what?? The nose squatted down, the bounce entirely dissappeared and the boat accellerated hard. I watched the GPS hit 83.9 MPH before backing out of the throttle due to a rather large boat wake heading my way and some boat traffic ahead!! And that was with a full 36 gallons of gas on board. Guess I'll have to shoot for
    85MPH next....with a little more seat time!!! What was really strange was after my day on the water I went to remove my prop and the prop nut and washer had loosened up?? Never had that happen before!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    congrats on the speed . and the nut didnt loosen it was the thrust washer behind the prop wearing out . check it
    dont ever use apple drywall company on long island , they suck !!!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jerry
    congrats on the speed . and the nut didnt loosen it was the thrust washer behind the prop wearing out . check it
    Thanks Jerry, I didn't even think of that!! I'll check it out.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats Jupiter! If the talon drives like the stv, the hop is your boat trying to clear the air bubble through the tunnels. Mine does the same thing in the 80's but if you power through it, the nose sets down and it is smooth sailing after that. Good job and keep the wet side down,

fish

96' STV Euro

Smarta$$ of the
    Sunshine Syndicate,

How to upload pics (click here)

Quote Originally Posted by jphii View Post
    Well then, give her a $50 bottle of booze and don't let her know about the hookers, or what you spend on them
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BadAction View Post
    oh no. i just realized I am the voice of reason on a thread. i am so done, RIP 1Bad.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 18 talon does the same thing around 70,But if you dont back out of the throtle,the boat lays down about 78mph and runs great.But one time I was by myself with about 6 gals of gas turning a 30 ,4 blade prop and the boat never bounced once and it acelerated up to 90 mph with ease.