Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Question '64 mustang engine?

Ok, my first post in this part of the forum Maybe some of you guys can help me as nobody here can tell me for sure!

I've been offered a 1964 mustang coupe for a song but it has no engine, apparently this car is SUPER clean, 5k original miles but needs exterior tidying up.

Anyway my question is, will a small block chev fit into this car, as US ford blocks are hard to come by here and theres plenty of SBC's around. Also if anyone knows if a european ford V6 will fit? Would like to get the car on the road asap, until I can source a correct engine for it.

Many thanks, Alan

Power Marine 650 Offshore Race, Yamaha 130 Pro-V

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    SBC would be an excellent engine. of course it would fit, with a little welding.

of course im going to get blackballed from the ford guys for saying that.
    > Stainless steel Merc cowling plates - $110 shipped TYD - LINK <

1979 16' Action Marine/2.5L Merc S3000 - Metalflake Maniac
    1984 18' Contender Tunnel/2.4 Merc Bridgeport

"Where does the love of God go, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    A smallblock Chevy could be made to fit, but I'd guess you'd have to whack on the shock towers some, since the Ford is narrower. I don't know about the car value situation in Ireland, but in the US you'd be taking a fairly desirable/valuable car and shooting it between the eyes to cross breed the engine. Is it prohibitively expensive to get a small block Ford shipped from the US? The interned is full of Ford crate engines that are ready to bolt in and go with readily available parts.
    Membership upgrade options: http://www.screamandfly.com/payments.php

CLINTON, IA. POTHOLE HAVEN. If your shocks dont bust, your bladder will!
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow Sbc

Blackballed, or not, that is all he has available. Do some measuring first. Engine compartment, then measure a mock up block, and trans. I know of a 1995 Mustang coupe that is sporting a sbc. This car runs awesome! Only problem I can think of that could be a bear is the exhaust. As mentioned above, alot of custom fab work is going to be a definate must!! Driveshaft, headers, motor mounts, firewall [maybe], trans mount,etc. This would definatly be a challenging project! But, a cool one!! I was a Ford man for years, but honestly have had the best luck with Bowties on land. Best of luck to you.

CLINTON, IA. POTHOLE HAVEN. If your shocks dont bust, your bladder will!
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow I

Have to agree with RACEMAN. Chances are the shock towers will need a brief trim job also, then will have to be filled in with flat sheet metal. And also on the crate engines. However, I checked awhile back on shipping a steering setup to Norway, and shipping was astronomical.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen a bbc in a fox body mustang, it got lots of attention
    89' Hydrostream Vista 200XP
    Delta 3cyl FORCE

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BadAction
    with a little welding.
    Yeah!, that's the part I'm not so sure about when I'm not sure what's supposed to conect to what and line up where, what do I weld and to where aagghhhhhh! I'm gettin' confused thinking about it

Basicaly will it bolt in? and if not can it be done realatively easy?

I know some of the later mustangs had lower capacity EU type V6's maybe one of those would be a better choice, I don't want to butcher the car to make another engine fit so I can bolt in the right engine when I find one.

Anyway, I'm not 100% sure I'll take on the car, don't know if I fancy a project like this at the moment, but want to try and find out what's involved before I decide.

Thanks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    i find it ironic that the fastest mustang at the local 1/8th mile is notch back fox-body with a de-stroked 400sbc
    > Stainless steel Merc cowling plates - $110 shipped TYD - LINK <

1979 16' Action Marine/2.5L Merc S3000 - Metalflake Maniac
    1984 18' Contender Tunnel/2.4 Merc Bridgeport

"Where does the love of God go, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raceman
    I don't know about the car value situation in Ireland, but in the US you'd be taking a fairly desirable/valuable car and shooting it between the eyes to cross breed the engine. Is it prohibitively expensive to get a small block Ford shipped from the US? The interned is full of Ford crate engines that are ready to bolt in and go with readily available parts.
    I have to agree with you on keeping it original, I don't like to butcher things, if it's an honest and needed improvement ok, but hacking somethink up to make it do is not me, I'd rather give the car a miss and let someone else do it right!

As for shipping a crate motor, I'm not sure! An o/b crate motor is about 1.5k + taxes, so I'd say it's around the same.

If I could find a decent motor in the UK I'd drive over and collect it, wouldn't be too bad and no tax inside the EU. But like I said I would like to get the car on the road in the mean time with another engine.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BadAction
    i find it ironic that the fastest mustang at the local 1/8th mile is notch back fox-body with a de-stroked 400sbc

all that means is that coupe owner is either old school mentality or a broke dick!!!

Go to any FFW event and you will see no shortage of small block Fords running solidly in 4s in the 1/8th....on 12.5 tires or smaller too!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't believe you will have to alter the shock towers. IIRC a 351C fits without shock tower mods. It will be tight though.
    Here is a universal motor mount kit. http://www.tdperformance.com/pdfs/34...Swapmounts.pdf

Here is a shock tower notching kit. http://www.rrs-online.com/shocktowerproducts.php

Why not stick a Merc 2.4 or 2.5 in there?
    Last edited by CDave; 08-01-2006 at 07:40 PM.
    -----------------------
    93 STV Mod VP/MERC 2.5 200
    -----
    The Bible is life's instruction manual.

Proverbs 4:18-20

" For a nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people."
    -- John F. Kennedy 1962

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dave, I don't think the Cleveland fits in the 64-66 cars without some shock tower massaging. They widened things up in 67 to fit the FE motors and that made life easier. Remember, in '64 the BIG motor was a 260

The SBC won't be a bolt in deal. Trans mount locations are different, engine mount locations are different, the decks are taller than the 289/302 which makes them wider. The Distributor location on the chevy puts it right up against the firewall. It's hard enough to get to the back of the intake with a Windsor motor and the distributor is out of the way, I can't imagine the fun you'd have with the distributor in the back. As said before, it can be done, it just ain't easy. I've seen a bunch of crossbreeds. BBC and SBC in Fox Mustang. Small mopar in 4th gen GM F-body(my favorite). And one street car that I wouldn't have believed if I hadn't seen the pics. A friggen blown 409 in a B-body Mopar (GTX I think).

Alan, what is the availability of Ford L6's The 170, 200 and 250 were all production motors for those cars. I don't know what the euro model equivalent would be to later model cars such as the Maverick, Grenada, Fairmont, and such, but those cars were also manufactured with straight 6's. into the early/mid 80's, the 250ci being the better candidate for future improvement as it uses the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the Windsor V8's

It'd be cool to see one of the 2.8 V6's out of a german Capri in an early stang. In a light car, it could be fun!
    --Brian Chandler--
    Sunshine Syndicate Wiseguy.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Shorepounder, thanks for that info I'll look into a 250ci but again not to sure how I'll fair out in my search, not many cars over here are much above 2.5L, fuel prices here have been high for a long time and the Mavericks and such are all Diesel.

What about the capri or cortina engines? Would the bell housings fit the gearbox and engine mounts etc. I'm looking for something that will realitivley drop in without much fab work. There must be a lower capacity engine with the same external dimensions as the 289

Maybe I'll just look/call around some of the car yards and see if anything pops up, somebody must know where there is one of these engines!

Thanks guys, Alan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wouldnt a 302 bolt up like the older 260?

upstate ny Ilion home of the snow flake syndicate
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    id go fuel injected ford 5.0 88 on up reliable power
    77 vector 77 1500xs merc ,16 ft comp laser
    18ft wellcraft kona v6 mariner ........ There is nothing more satisfying than speed. Speed is addictive, remember you can only go faster.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast