Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    We ran a Merc 260 and logged the RPM and hours on the engine, then took it apart. The engine was run at very high RPM (over 8000) for extended periods of time, which would surely stress any oil. I am not by any means saying that other oils would not work - they're all good. We had used Amsoil prior and have always felt that it ran just a bit dry. But, in our experience, we've never noted any oil-related wear in the many years of using AliSyn oil. I am not going to say that this same result could not be achieved with other oils, however if we know for a fact that the AliSyn oil performed that well, there was no reason for us to try any other brand.

Also, the company has a very impressive pedigree of experience and applications their products are used in.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by PowerNut View Post
    Just out of curiosity.... Other than the specs... How do ya tell which oil is better ? Do ya have to blow up an engine after running a certain oil for it's life time and decide to change oils ? or do ya have to replace parts more often ? After running different oils ? And / or try different oils on different conditions on different engines... Every oil company swears by their oil and can provide specs and scientific data..... But can anybody say that the reason their engine lasted longer / ran any faster / set any records / won more races / put a bigger smile on their girlfriends (or wife) face / Saved any more money by not using a certain oil ???? I've always heard from many a intelligent engine builder..... Pick a good oil..... And stick with it ! I like Mercury's oil.... And it's never been the reason I've blown an engine.... It's always been something other than the oil's fault ???? Usually Mine !!!! But I don't race, or have the fastest, or the longest lasting..... But I do have lots of fun..... !!! Even when I'm working on them..... ! More Power to the Engine Builders / machinists and consultants & the oil people..... Like... Todd, Chaz & Joe, and all their friends..... And All Scream and Fly Members and the Administrator ...... And I was Just curious..... But I had to put my ten thousandths in..... + or - a .0005

Facebook | YouTube | Vintage Outboard Catalogs
    Photo prints available of your boat - click here

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Put my 280 on Alisyn after a five hour run in.That was about fifteen ago.Another 75-100 and I'll know how I feel about it.Looking forward to seeing the results. BTW very nice folks,and the free shipping is great.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm considering buying a 1998 Mirage 232 bow rider mid cuddy with a 200 hour 502. Roughly, what do you consider a fair value for this boat?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6