User Tag List

Page 79 of 93 FirstFirst ... 29 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,185 of 1382
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The old original slip as background, with Roy Ridgell posing for Mercury cover shot.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roy testing at Lake X.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	215.9 KB 
ID:	270399

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can tell the new part from the old by the rust LOL....
    Quote Originally Posted by lilabner View Post
    Thanks John,
    It looks like something was built in front of the original one.It wasn't that big when I first was there..progress, you can't stop it..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lake X Kid View Post

My office was at the end of this building. I was the last man still standing on this end of Lake X

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lilabner View Post
    Thanks John,
    It looks like something was built in front of the original one.It wasn't that big when I first was there..progress, you can't stop it..
    Butch - If you move from the wood shop toward the lake, you will see a narrow grey strip. That was the parts room. Continuing to move toward the lake, the last section was the "Vault". That was where one each of Kiekhaefer's engines were stored in crates. When the Offshore building was built, we uncrated them and placed them in the "Museum/Meeting" room on the second floor. - Steve Sirois

Hi John - Good to see you on here. Gotta go now, but hope to be on later or tomorrow. - Steve

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is one of the Ted Jones Cats that we ran on endurance. It was a sweet ride. I will repeat a story about it soon. - Steve

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Jones Cats were really sweet. One of them was the Pace Boat for the Six Hour race at the Lake. It was all I could do to keep up with in in my Raveau, and I was near the front at the start. I remember Bill riding on the deck of George Thompsons in a couple races..Glad he wasn't on this one..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails George Thompson 003small.jpg   jones cat small.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Sherlock View Post
    My office was at the end of this building. I was the last man still standing on this end of Lake X
    John - Say Hi to Jack McDougall for me - Steve

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will say Hi for you. We have a ride coming up, https://www.facebook.com/events/427756737295392/
    Quote Originally Posted by seeroy View Post
    John - Say Hi to Jack McDougall for me - Steve

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remembering roy ridgell

Name:	SMALL 001.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	171.2 KB 
ID:	270740

The first time i ever raced in Europe was the 1969 French international powerboat race i think the place was Rabadanze it was in the French countryside seemed miles from any town. We had many drivers over from the UK for this race and good support from French and German drivers all of the entries had to be V hulls most were Mercury SBP powered.This was the first time i met Roy Ridgell`i can remember just before the race the 5 minute gun went off and everyone jumped in their boats and drove off except me` my engine didnt fire it was gassed up i tried it in neutral and it still didnt start i new Roy was not very far away so i gave him a shout he jumped in the boat dragged the covers off and shouted try it now and away we went`i just made the start line.Well we got a good result and managed to win the race`we celebrated that night and we all enjoyed Roys company told us many stories about back at Lake X.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by STEVERINO View Post

Name:	SMALL 001.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	171.2 KB 
ID:	270740 The first time i ever raced in Europe was the 1969 French international powerboat race i think the place was Rabadanze it was in the French countryside seemed miles from any town. We had many drivers over from the UK for this race and good support from French and German drivers all of the entries had to be V hulls most were Mercury SBP powered.This was the first time i met Roy Ridgell`i can remember just before the race the 5 minute gun went off and everyone jumped in their boats and drove off except me` my engine didnt fire it was gassed up i tried it in neutral and it still didnt start i new Roy was not very far away so i gave him a shout he jumped in the boat dragged the covers off and shouted try it now and away we went`i just made the start line.Well we got a good result and managed to win the race`we celebrated that night and we all enjoyed Roys company told us many stories about back at Lake X.
    See that trophy you are holding Steve-----It sits on the top shelf in my garage collecting dust and has done for the last 40 years.
    Collie Coulson won it in 1970 and i won it in '71----As far as i know--They never ran that race again.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was Roy .....

Quote Originally Posted by STEVERINO View Post
    .....This was the first time i met Roy Ridgell`i can remember just before the race the 5 minute gun went off and everyone jumped in their boats and drove off except me` my engine didnt fire it was gassed up i tried it in neutral and it still didnt start i new Roy was not very far away so i gave him a shout he jumped in the boat dragged the covers off and shouted try it now and away we went`i just made the start line......
    Enjoyed the story, it's vintage Roy Ridgell. He was good at that kind of stuff. Some kind of a mayday would pop up and out of nowhere he'd throw a fix at it that almost always worked!

My first trip to Lake X was to work on the leaking BP lower units. I walked into the shop that morning and almost immediately heard a voice say something like "Mercy Lord, I hope this isn't supposed to be the savior for our lower unit problems". I looked around and saw this slender guy with a big ass-smile on his face. His jeans were a tad short and he was wearing penny loafers with white socks. Turned out to be a Roy Ridgell trademark, he was always easy to pick out of a crowd. He walked over and introduced himself. He took me around to get familar with the place and set up a work area. He introduced me to all in the area and even coached me about the whens and whats for lunch. I liked him right off the bat, enjoyed working (and playing ) with him over the years and always considered him my friend.

Here is a shot of Roy looking at the camera while talking with Dr. Ted Morgan at Havasu in 1971. You can't see what he is wearing, but I'll guarantee he is as described above .... jeans a tad short, white socks and penny loafers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1971 Havasu Morgan Ridgell.jpg  
    Last edited by willabee; 01-11-2013 at 10:00 AM.

12. Thanks GrewuponLakeX thanked for this post
    Likes GrewuponLakeX liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by willabee View Post
    Enjoyed the story, it's vintage Roy Ridgell. He was good at that kind of stuff. Some kind of a mayday would pop up and out of nowhere he'd throw a fix at it that almost always worked!

My first trip to Lake X was to work on the leaking BP lower units. I walked into the shop that morning and almost immediately heard a voice say something like "Mercy Lord, I hope this isn't supposed to be the savior for our lower unit problems". I looked around and saw this slender guy with a big ass-smile on his face. His jeans were a tad short and he was wearing penny loafers with white socks. Turned out to be a Roy Ridgell trademark, he was always easy to pick out of a crowd. He walked over and introduced himself. He took me around to get familar with the place and set up a work area. He introduced me to all in the area and even coached me about the whens and whats for lunch. I liked him right off the bat, enjoyed working (and playing ) with him over the years and always considered him my friend.

Here is a shot of Roy looking at the camera while talking with Dr. Ted Morgan at Havasu in 1971. You can't see what he is wearing, but I'll guarantee he is as described above .... jeans a tad short, white socks and penny loafers.
    Hey William---you forgot the matchstick !!!!!!!!!! musta been a bloody hard stick---he chewed on it all the years i knew him, he could roll it from one side of his mouth to the other without ever touching it. He was also 100 years old when he was conceived ----even today i 'ain't got the wrinkles he had,

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by willabee View Post

His jeans were a tad short and he was wearing penny loafers with white socks. Turned out to be a Roy Ridgell trademark, he was always easy to pick out of a crowd.
    That sure sounds like the Roy I knew---

15. Thanks GrewuponLakeX thanked for this post
    Likes GrewuponLakeX liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perfect .....

Quote Originally Posted by GENE LANHAM View Post
    That sure sounds like the Roy I knew---

Red Bird, that picture is absolutely perfect! They say a picture is worth a thousand words and that picture certainly proves that statement is true. There he is, co-driving Jan Schoonover's Dutchman Wing at Parker. He's not a spectator just walking the beach, he's driving the damn boat and still wears the trademark outfit!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    did people not have shorts back then????????????????

Page 79 of 93 FirstFirst ... 29 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 LastLast