Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You've got $4000 and.....

So you've got $4k and you want to buy a boat.. You don't care about going over 60-70mph but you do want something that can take Texas lake chop and you would prefer looking cool doing it...

Looking cool could be center console or it could be sport boat... I want to get back into boating this year and have been thinking about Glastron Carlson's or maybe a Donzi Z21 but I'm pretty narrow minded so I thought I might ask the collective and see what kind of new things I might get exposed to via ya'll..

Pics would be great - and yes, I realize with the dollar amount mentioned there will be some humor which is also just fine..

And for the purpose of this discussion, $4k cannot become $10k, but $4500 might be ok..

Thanks for any and all responses..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing good and nothing that’s not a money pit. Maybe an action with a worn out looper or 2.4 or a hydro stream with a rotten floor or the old Grady white with the 1980s OMC that hasn’t run since first bush was in office..

don’t take this wrong but you would be way better off saving your money and buying a mirage for 4-7k and than saving until you can get a motor. All the old worn out **** $4500 buys will do nothing but piss you off as $4500 is the cost of a sport master or a couple props... I’m talking bad trailer bearings, rotten floor or transom, frozen steering cables, Frankenstein motor some asshole “worked” in the 80s or 90s... Just headaches man don’t do it.. rent one and you’d be way ahead

Take it from someone who knows and has lost the cash, buying anything motor wise used always costs about 3x the initial investment and used outboards are always a money pit

Ive had $8,000 boats and ones I’ve spent $85,000 on and one thing I can tel You is its all work and always gonna cost you money. The motor that ran great before they stored the boat under the tree with the ripped harbor freight tarp was a POS when they stored it and sure as hell isnt gonna run. The roller trailer that kinda money buys that was gone through will absolutely probably almost kill you when the bearing goes unless u do the work. Also the rigging will undoubtedly be a birds nest of **** you will need to re do

Also you have to basically blow your local marine mechanic to take your $150/hr and if it’s between memorial and Labor Day you got a better chance of landing your F150 on the moon than getting anything serviced or repaired

to attempt to go boating without the bull**** costs $20-$25k and anyone who says different is full of **** and once you spend that money you gotta store it or your stomach will turn that your “investment” is outside in the elements..

It costs legitimately like $5, 000 for every hour of smile time boating it just comes down to how honest you want to be to yourself about it
    Last edited by aggiestckl; 12-26-2017 at 10:54 PM.

3. Likes delawarerick, sonicss33, davemvegas liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggiestckl View Post
    Nothing good and nothing that’s not a money pit. Maybe an action with a worn out looper or 2.4 or a hydro stream with a rotten floor or the old Grady white with the 1980s OMC that hasn’t run since first bush was in office..

don’t take this wrong but you would be way better off saving your money and buying a mirage for 4-7k and than saving until you can get a motor. All the old worn out **** $4500 buys will do nothing but piss you off as $4500 is the cost of a sport master or a couple props... I’m talking bad trailer bearings, rotten floor or transom, frozen steering cables, Frankenstein motor some asshole “worked” in the 80s or 90s... Just headaches man don’t do it.. rent one and you’d be way ahead

Take it from someone who knows and has lost the cash, buying anything motor wise used always costs about 3x the initial investment and used outboards are always a money pit

Ive had $8,000 boats and ones I’ve spent $85,000 on and one thing I can tel You is its all work and always gonna cost you money. The motor that ran great before they stored the boat under the tree with the ripped harbor freight tarp was a POS when they stored it and sure as hell isnt gonna run. The roller trailer that kinda money buys that was gone through will absolutely probably almost kill you when the bearing goes unless u do the work. Also the rigging will undoubtedly be a birds nest of **** you will need to re do

Also you have to basically blow your local marine mechanic to take your $150/hr and if it’s between memorial and Labor Day you got a better chance of landing your F150 on the moon than getting anything serviced or repaired

to attempt to go boating without the bull**** costs $20-$25k and anyone who says different is full of **** and once you spend that money you gotta store it or your stomach will turn that your “investment” is outside in the elements..

It costs legitimately like $5, 000 for every hour of smile time boating it just comes down to how honest you want to be to yourself about it

Damn Aggie, I hate when you sugar coat everything.

He is somewhat correct, boating is a very expensive hobby.

The best thing you could do is save your $$, hang out with some of your boating friends for a while, offer to buy gas and lunch for the day.

It'll never get any cheaper than that but you will get a feel for what you like in boats, and they will enjoy a little help with their boating cost. Switch around, try different boats, then if you're felling froggy ..... jump!

$ .02
    Wriggleys gum makes me think of boating, "Double your engines, Double your fun"

5. Likes AZMIDLYF, OLEGATOR liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice 16' laser in under 20' for sale .....4500 and your having fun ....lot of work done already good deal !
    no its not mine and i dont know who personaly but info reads well .

7. Thanks lucidphreak thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not as negitive about your odds of finding something- I think it is motor first- then trailer- last hull- all sexy sitting in driveway because of broke motor or trailer is no good for me-
    When we started spend time at the coast- I would see these old POS boats with brand new motors- I was like what the heck- now that I have been 40 miles offshore by myself- I understand putting the motor first- you can upgrade the hull later-
    This would be the time of year to find a deal-

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you experienced with fast outboards? If not, start out with an old Checkmate 17foot or a glastron CVX. Great starter boats. Save some$ and move up to a hydrostream or even start with a hydrostream ( they can be bought right but prepare to do some work on it. Next would be a blown fuel burning Hydro. Thats the normal path LOL

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Do your homework and you can probably find something usable that you can polish up a bit. I gave $6000 for the Mirage in my avatar turn key with a 225 Yamaha. Those kind of deals are rare but they are possible. Get into the 6+ range and I think you will have more fun and less headache. Good luck. Mike
    Cheaters never Win !!!

11. Thanks lucidphreak thanked for this post
    Likes Forkin' Crazy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There is stuff all over like this

https://saginaw.craigslist.org/boa/d...388264973.html

13. Thanks lucidphreak thanked for this post
    Likes tunnelmike liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the Capt. There are deals everywhere ya just gotta have some common sense then do some research. All Hydrostreams need core work unless it has already been done. Inboards are a dime a dozen and great starter boats cuz the motors are something you are somewhat familiar with. As was stated earlier, this is the best time to buy a boat providing you are willing to drive north where the water gets kinda hard this time of year. I have an all original Champion with a Merc I could sell that falls into your price range. Look around as there are many great opportunities available that will sell for a bit more come spring.

Rock
    Team Junk

No sparkling wiggles in here, only dump truck grinches.

"Screamin Heathen"

15. Thanks lucidphreak thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The later Glastron and 4winns will run mid 50's with the 4.3 with a good prop.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No interest in a mirage but I do understand what you're saying.. I don't really want to go back to a typical family v-hull boat (which CAN be had for this amount of money) which is why I was asking.. Thanks for your reply!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    4winns is too much of a family boat... I want something at least as sexy as a glastron CVX or a baja sport series outboard.. Great boats though for a fam boat..

I've owned LOTS of boats before so this is by no means my first forray into boats.. I just wanted to see what I might learn from asking the question here..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob Lankford

1988 20' Action Marine 2.4 200

Previous owned boats worth mentioning

1976 17' Action Marine 2.4 200
    1984 20' Action Marine 2.5 200
    1983 17' Hydrostream V-King 2.4 Bridgeport
    2003 LPB STV RR COPY 2.5 280 /300 Drag
    2005 LPB STV RR COPY 2.5 280
    2005 Baja 23 Outlaw 6.2 Mercruiser
    2006 FTP Quarter Shot T3 Race 2.5 200 CARB/2.5 225 PROMAX
    2009 FTP Quarter Shot T3 Race 2.5 280

20. Thanks RIVERRUMMER 70 thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Insane-o View Post
    The later Glastron and 4winns will run mid 50's with the 4.3 with a good prop.
    Believe or not, my lil' bayliner 175, 4 banger has hit 51 with a 23p!

is gone

22. Likes FMP, Capt.Insane-o, delawarerick liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For 4K and not caring to break speed records and be a good V bottom lake boat, the choices are wide with maybe an outboard.
    One that is easy to work on and reliable.

Most here like the Mercury V6 motors. Best bang for the buck (imo)...even if they go bang....lots of used and new parts available and good people here to assist if needed.

You got the boat bug...you'll find something
    James H. W2F a V-King... Want 2 Fly a V-King

Dedicated Site for Hydrostreams >> http://hydrostreamforums.com/
    My Project 1979 V-King restore >> http://hydrostreamforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2761

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast