Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Just a little personal Rant !

I really enjoy helping fellow boaters out with problems and suggestions. I will spend hours on the phone talking to customers or non customers just needing help, after all, that's what this site is about. What I do hate is when I spend alot of time with people about getting a new boat, then they go to "the other guy" and buy a boat there. I have no problem with that as you get what you pay for. What I do not like is when they call me after and say, "I talked to you a while back about a new boat but I bought one from "the other guy" Then they want me to help them fix all the issues they have with their new boat. Why don't they call their dealer? I usually help them, but the other day I finally told a guy to call his dealer, I'm sure he will help you. I try to explain to customers that they need to compare boats rigged by me and other places before they commit. I have no issue with anyone shopping for price, but if it's a new boat bought from somewhere else after talking to me, then call your dealer when you realize that you ...... up!
    " IT'S NOT HOW FAST YOU ARE, IT'S HOW COOL YOU LOOK!!! "

Check out my new website. liberatorpowerboats.com
    Boat Delivery available

Things owned. NOTHING!!
    Ain't got no toyz, Ain't got no money! I is jus a poor Florida boy!

Visit My Liberator Boats Website

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amen. Fortunately Randy, those types are not common. But you kinda know when you get one, beforehand. It comes down to respect. They lack respect.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are usually the ones who want an estimate down to the penny and bitch when it turns out to be more. Best to give them a high estimate and not negotiate.
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors". Plato .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think it would be OK to explain that you do not fix other dealers problems for free. If they want to pay for your time then that is another matter. The same guy you helped, will go right back to the same dealer when he buys again. Zebra's don't change their stripes..

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

5. Likes pointer liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you have been a great help to me on a couple of deals. i feel as i have always received more than you the little money you charged me.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hear that Randy, I get pissed when I go on an event (to get away from work), and end up getting asked 100 questions about building an engine for someone (or work on their boat), and they tell me they'll call. Anyway, next event they had someone else do the work, but something is screwed up and they ask me to look at it on the spot. I'm about over that
    action mobile marine, 772 528 0754, dealers for aces fuel products,wolf efi, pro marine,latham and gaffrig/livorsi. we build gearcases and modify them(3 litre) to ratchet, and powerheads as well. 21 skater/3 litre wolf efi 113 mph the engine build http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-3-litre-build

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I AGREE!!! I had a Brother like that....spent days with him about cam, intake, carb, etc. for his Olds Jet Drive....then he went out and bought all the "wrong" crap from another place and came to me to find out just why he lost all his low end!!!
    He passed last year, RIP....but I know he won't!!!!
    WillySteve Hendricks

20XDC Bullet/Modified Merc 260
    295TF Charger/ProMax 225x-Sold!
    '83-20' Contender Pickle Fork/Merc 2.4 ModVP BridgePort EFI-Sold!
    '85-18' Stratus STV/Merc Hi-Po 2.4 EFI-Sold!
    Freedom 240 DLX Fisher Toon/Merc 115

10' Cougar Cub/Merc 25HP On The Bottle!
    18" Home Made Tunnel/OS .021XM Outboard on 50% Nitro and Expansion Chamber

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought I was the only sucker that has customers like that! They go out and spends thousands throwing parts at it just to avoid a $60 diagnostic fee for us to tell them really what's wrong! Or come in and want to pull me off a paying job to try pry free info from me so they can do it thereself or get someone else to do it cheaper. Or get an estimate from us, then go get a shade tree to do it and screw everything up, then come crawling back and want us to try to fix a bunch of screw ups for a little of nothing with thier sob stories of how they ain't go no money. One day people will realize you get what you pay for and will spend a lot less in the long run by paying to have it done right the first time!

10. Likes delawarerick liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amen

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kind of goes both ways, I know at least one customer of yours Randy, who was less than impressed with your representation of an almost new, used boat he bought from you. He knows you do excellent work and are a decent guy, that's why he bought from you in the first place. But when he called you about some issues with the boat, your response was not up to the standard you want all your customers to be.(based on this rant thread) He learned his lesson(not to buy sight unseen from you again), didn't waste his time trying to pursue a lost cause, and has moved on.

Anyone in any business has customers that waste their time, when they come back to you to fix others mistakes, you get to charge them for the repairs, suck it up or get out of the customer service industry.
    Last edited by altamate; 05-09-2017 at 04:45 PM.
    08 Checkmate 2100br 250xs

13. Thanks JW thanked for this post
    Likes JW, Stoker1 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's the whole whole reason for the vent. We do suck it up and almost always at our expense. Most customers realize it and appreciate it, others just keep screwing us and all we can do is suck it up. Just nice to have a place to vent. We bend over backwards for our customers and non customers. Unless you own your own business, you have no idea what we go through to try to keep a good reputation and name. I cost myself all kinds of money to try please people to find there is just some people you can't please. But in the long run the money I cost myself pays off in the trust my true customers have in us, and the others all I can say is I done my best.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by altamate View Post

Anyone in any business has customers that waste their time, when they come back to you to fix others mistakes, you get to charge them for the repairs, suck it up or get out of the customer service industry.
    The thing is, people buy a new boat and expect everything to be under warranty. Not everything is under warranty, especially the rigging. If you buy a boat from dealer "A" and he rigs a pair of new engine on the boat and screws up by putting too small of a fuel line on it and you take it to dealer "B" for repairs, you have to expect there will be no warranty for dealer "A"'s screw-up. This is the sort of thing Randy is talking about.

As for used boats, it's always buyer beware because once a new boat is sold and leaves the lot, the dealer has no control over what happens to it. The guy could sink it , get it half baked fixed and trade it in without saying anything and then you buy it and all the problems.............. as-is is the rule of thumb for used boats.
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors". Plato .

16. Likes pointer liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amen!!! Advice and help is worth something, I try to support those who help me. you get what you pay for . . . .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel.your pain.... I "snapped" the other day.... A guy that always comes in and asks advise, never buys the parts from me (it was cheaper on eBay) then need advice on how to install said parts caught me on a bad day....

About half way through his rant I asked him for his credit card number... When he looked at me blankly after a couple seconds I flatly told him that my shop rate is $90 and hour with 1 hour min. I think he got the point.

I understand wanting to fix it yourself, I do. But damn if you're gonna take up an hour of time at least have the respect to buy the part through me.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I just get home and see this. Ugh.

Time for clean-up.

Greg

Facebook | YouTube | Vintage Outboard Catalogs