Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FUJIMO View Post
    ...nice photo. Hodges built some beautiful caskets, and some even more beautiful tunnels. They were hard to beat back then...
    Hodges was a better craftsmen than Molinari------his big fault was -----HE WOULDNT LISTEN. He always thought he knew best------which he did not.
    Beautifully crafted boats came out of his shop, lacking somewhat in Design------Burgess built a better boat performance and handling wise-----but Hodges was the boatbuilder that others tried to be?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackiewilson View Post
    Whenever the name Raveau. Comes up, I think of Oligator------James Hunt------one of the best drivers America ever produced.
    Don't forget Butch & Treasure Stokes...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Butch 15.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	114.8 KB 
ID:	351128

Name:	Butch 54.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	108.0 KB 
ID:	351129

Name:	Treasure 2.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	107.2 KB 
ID:	351133

3. Thanks lilabner thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	27 
Size:	115.3 KB 
ID:	351136

Piccy that I'm on about was similar to this one--------except for the fact, the boat is yellow, and the Merc 500 had twin pipes!
    These looked to be expensive, quality built boats.
    Were they as good a design as the "Hal Kelly's"------not unlike each other to look at, I think the Kelly was more "Racelike" while the Raveau was more "Rivalike"--------- Just a personal ope ------what do I know ?
    i still got a chunk of the old oak gate post I made the first effort from------might start all over again, the shape is off just a tad methinks.
    The oak is really very old with age cracks and some great flowering which would respond to about fifty coats of wax------unfortunately, I don't have the time or the inclination.
    If anyone out there would like to put a paint and lacquer finish on these two, give me a shout and be my guest------like I told you before, John Schubert and Roger H. are ace at finishing concepts.

Sod my old britches ----if it's not August already ! Last four weeks of summer----F1 summer four week break, ( but I don't watch it anymore). Lewis won five out of the last six. Due in part to Nico's cock ups and ability to elbow fellow participants off track, but, I still think Hamilton has the creds to win this years championship. Needs a couple more wins to move past Prost----still has a long way to go before he gets up there with Schumacher ------but, he's not even thirty yet!
    Have a nice day, week, and month------enjoy the rest of the summer----bless all of my friends.

5. Likes shadowcat liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim Hunt in the 270

Name:	Jackie 14.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	117.9 KB 
ID:	351140

7. Likes shadowcat, lilabner liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never knew that Raveau built a cat...

Name:	Jackie 10.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	351141

Name:	Jackie 13.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	124.7 KB 
ID:	351142

9. Likes olboatman, shadowcat, lilabner liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PiccyI'll post a progress to me like there were a fair few Raveau's racing at that time------it's a very apt adage----"racing -- success"_____it still holds today.
    Whenever I get to talking to Oligator, he starts to tell me of his times in a Raveau. There's a deep affection for that particular marque, if you got time you should take time out and listen to some of his Raveau stories.
    Got well into the second boat this morning------really is a nice chunk of old oak gate post--------probably stood up for fifty years before it found its way into my woodpile?
    Will try to make it a bit closer to a Raveau this time.
    Funny thing you know,----close enough is only good enough in horse shoes and hand grenades-----if you tell folk your about to do a Raveau-------then it had better be pretty damn close------unless you want a bloody nose!
    Like it or not--I'll post you a progress piccy tonight----what else you got to look at------bugger all on TV on a Monday anyway, that you didn't see over the weekend.

11. Likes shadowcat liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apologise for the opening line ----damned if I know how it got there-----

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No piccies tonight, spent a long time getting the shape about right------worked on the concept in surgical gloves------the idea is to keep the wood clean. Filled the grain with white filler, so can't do the final sanding before morning. Finished article should look like French or American white oak which will look a lot lighter than old English oak (I hope).
    Pissed off I can't find that picture of the yellow Raveau with the 500 Merc and twin pipes, was a stack Of detail there I could do with right now. Anyone ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackiewilson View Post
    No piccies tonight, spent a long time getting the shape about right------worked on the concept in surgical gloves------the idea is to keep the wood clean. Filled the grain with white filler, so can't do the final sanding before morning. Finished article should look like French or American white oak which will look a lot lighter than old English oak (I hope).
    Pissed off I can't find that picture of the yellow Raveau with the 500 Merc and twin pipes, was a stack Of detail there I could do with right now. Anyone ?

I don't want to ask a dumb question, but as it's my role in life I will....Have you looked it up in the "search" box at the top of the page,
    you must have a rough idea of who & when It was posted?

Don't shout at me If you've already done this, only tryin' to be helpf......Phill.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ron54 View Post

I don't want to ask a dumb question, but as it's my role in life I will....Have you looked it up in the "search" box at the top of the page,
    you must have a rough idea of who & when It was posted?

Don't shout at me If you've already done this, only tryin' to be helpf......Phill.
    First sentence just a bout says it all Phill------so I won't shout at you very loudly!
    You ain't never going to believe this, but I DO know what the "search" box is for!.
    Now, therein lies the problem-----I do not know who posted it , ( to the nearest five people )------nor can I remember when it was posted, (to the nearest five weeks).
    So, it was a dumb question, as is your role in life Phill. (You said it, not me)

Dave the Fuji is normally very good at finding stuff and people, but even he's remained silent on this one.
    Dont matter a tinkers cuss any more----done what I set out to do----and one of them turned out not to be three bad, so that'll do for now
    Took time out to parcel up Roger H's hydro, post it tomorrow, was going to take it to Tavares, but hells teeth, he paid for it over two months ago, seems only fair to post it!

Saw a piccy of Seebold, Sutter and "Willabee" somewhere on Facebook, anyone else see it? Welch lost that hairy growth of 'n his top lip.

16. Likes shadowcat liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Made progress, disappointed with the white filler, didn't turn out as well as I thought it would, still very dark, but looks quite good. Needs someone better than me to do the paint job. Made a monumental mount for one them-------got to be the "OLIGATOR" .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rich or Roger-------fill me in on Captain insane--------I know he's a high fiver here on S&F, but do I know him, or of him ? Did I ever get to meet him.
    I gather he's up in Michigan !
    He just offered us a clam shell and faceplate for "OLD BLUE" ----might be just the kick up the rear Mark needs to get the project on the road. He should have the superyacht finished next month----that fifty footer's taken up five years of his life------it's still way ahead of its time, loads of new innovations like wi-fi steering and elevating cockpit. It's all his own design from stem to stern-----not many stepped fifty footers around with the top end this one has.
    Thought he might have a crack at the COSWORTH ------but that's been put on the back burner for a while!
    Think he wants to find new premises on the water -----build a new hi-Perf centre, so I could be a VERY old man before the COSWORTH gets its bum wet.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jackie, this is an original 1976 175 Mercury, including its first generation gearcase design, which was produced less than two years...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...as mentioned, new aftermarket sticker kits are available, from this source, and others...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FUJIMO View Post
    Jackie, this is an original 1976 175 Mercury, including its first generation gearcase design, which was produced less than two years...
    Doncha just love the original leg ?nothing quite like an original gear case either! Faultless design -------C CUP at a guess-----
    Is that the original "MARY MAGNUMAINE" Dave ?

Was as on the road early today-----did the M25 and Dartford tunnel------watched Ivan's boy Lucas (age 6) have his golf lesson, taught him how to ride a two wheel bike, now ready for the rat race to cross London.
    Shop remained closed today-----needed time out.
    Back to normal tomorrow ------car boot sale and all that jazz.
    Thanks for the piccy Dave, I never saw it before-----much appreciated .

Page 301 of 1251 FirstFirst ... 201 251 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 351 401 801 ... LastLast