Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lake p.a.l. View Post
    You are more than welcome to bust my chops all you want. Dale has made plenty of mistakes. I've made plenty of mistakes. I've ridden with Dale in his 30 at 144+ mph. I've ridden with Dale in his 28 @ 114+ mph with 4 people. He was incredibly safe EVERY time my wife and I were out with him and Lisa.
    Bust him up all you want, he is incredibly knowledgeable.
    I've tuned quite a few grudge cars over the years , it was just funny to hear how you put that . I'm use to being the only white guy working on the car while the 'set-up" is going on around me ... your lingo , would fit right in .. yea .. NO ..

I make mistakes too . It's part of being human . Some just think they are somehow above that , so once in a while I will offer a gentle reminder . Some will scream F.U. thinking their fragile ego will shatter , while others with an open mind will think about it , while yet others who are comfortable in themselves might even go as far as sayin , thanks your right ....

Having raced 200 mph open wheel cars for 25 years , I knew I could be killed at any given moment . That's why I did it by myself in a long skinny car that sat one instead of a sedan and piled a handful of friends in that really had no clue as to what could really happen .
    My wife and my son have been in our boat over 100 mph , anytime we had anyone one else , then just past the hop is fast enough .
    Seeing how fast I can go with 3 or 4 other people on board is pretty foolish in my eye's . I'd rather buy them a ticket to a theme park and let em ride the roller coaster ...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    I've tuned quite a few grudge cars over the years , it was just funny to hear how you put that . I'm use to being the only white guy working on the car while the 'set-up" is going on around me ... your lingo , would fit right in .. yea .. NO ..

I make mistakes too . It's part of being human . Some just think they are somehow above that , so once in a while I will offer a gentle reminder . Some will scream F.U. thinking their fragile ego will shatter , while others with an open mind will think about it , while yet others who are comfortable in themselves might even go as far as sayin , thanks your right ....

Having raced 200 mph open wheel cars for 25 years , I knew I could be killed at any given moment . That's why I did it by myself in a long skinny car that sat one instead of a sedan and piled a handful of friends in that really had no clue as to what could really happen .
    My wife and my son have been in our boat over 100 mph , anytime we had anyone one else , then just past the hop is fast enough .
    Seeing how fast I can go with 3 or 4 other people on board is pretty foolish in my eye's . I'd rather buy them a ticket to a theme park and let em ride the roller coaster ...
    I don't understand where you are going with this.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is short crude video of my old 28 accelerating from 50mph up to just over a 100mph in a pretty short distance. You can clearly see not much porpise if any at all.
    Lastly in all the mud slinging I can say with first hand experience that my 308 has out accelerated a comparable 400r boat to over 105mph with a considerable load. Just an FYI that mother Mercury controls the amount of power a 400r puts to the water so that the longevity is there and for a safety factor as to not throw anyone out of thoe multi engine CC's. This is a fact and why most 400r outboard cats need miles to achieve the big numbers everyone taunts. If you line them up in the ocean in 3' seas my 300x's will win every time!!!!!!!
    https://youtu.be/wpAmreW7ozA

Double
    Rigged
    308 Skater w/400r’s
    Over-Kill

4. Likes tom kennedy, Davidlake, conmax liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think he is trying to say his ass is very hairy...or something.
    *BLACK MOTORS MATTER*

6. Likes F14 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hell eventually.... Be plenty of company.

8. Likes F14 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post

Seeing how fast I can go with 3 or 4 other people on board is pretty foolish in my eye's . I'd rather buy them a ticket to a theme park and let em ride the roller coaster ... :smiletest
    :
    I agree with this %1000.
    #skaternation
    21 rally sport (sold)
    21 Cougar (sold)
    21 Skater (sold)
    24 skater (sold)
    21 Armstrong (fishing deck) 250 etec
    24 SEB (soon to be laid up)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your 28 is impressive. I don't think the 28 can handle the mass of the 400's so 2 strokes are a better choice. As for acceleration, have you seen the instrumented tests of the 2 400 verado boats in the March speedboat. From the graph, it looks like the 28 speedster did 0-90 in 20s with a top speed of 123. The DCB was much slower, only about 60 in 20s. I am fairly certain that most of the difference is due to weight. Its good that this magazine is now measuring acceleration in their tests.
    Although not likely to happen, it would be nice to see similar tests of 28 skaters with 300s. Hopefully, this magazine with include acceleration tests of all future boats. It would certainly have been great if they had done that with the Skaters, MTIs, and Doug Wright with 400's previously tested. With such a difference between similar boats, it would not be surprising to find different manufacturers with the same power being faster or slower depending on setup. That's one the reasons that I believe one race on the Delta would not be conclusive.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Conmax, your boat will be great no matter what top speed numbers you get! Getting a brand new HP boat was one of highlights in my go-fast life. I have learned a lot from this and other forums. I have been attending LOTO shootout for many years now and feel that that is the end all for separating the men from the boys. Hope that some of the new builds make it there this year. If you have not been, make it a "bucket list" item.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Conmax, I hear ya on the tests. Keep in mind most comparisons are done with the 300xs not the 300x. The 300xs has a 1.62 gear ratio and the 400r has a 1.75. Also max rpm stock xs is 6400 and the 400r 7000. So naturally it would out accelerate them. However with a 7000rpm 300x it is another story. But with the limited amount of 300x's out there and warranty, no smoke and big hp the 400r is the logical choice. A properly set up 28 skater could run 400r's under smooth conditions. I would bet it would run over 130mph.

Double
    Rigged
    308 Skater w/400r’s
    Over-Kill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Rigged View Post
    A properly set up 28 skater could run 400r's under smooth conditions. I would bet it would run over 130mph.
    Easily....It will be done.
    Larry Gempp Jr.

Proud HydroStream Powertour Member

Lots of past boats - 2024 22 Liberator - 450R

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Double Rigged,

On another subject, since your profile indicates you are in marine electronics, are you aware of the conductivity of carbon fiber used in boat lamination. Since my new boat is a complete carbon fibre layup, I am concerned that anything that penetrates the hull or deck may also become conductive. I am also not certain that the riggers are aware of this. It would seem that is would be necessary to electrically insulate any conductive material that penetrates the carbon fiber laminates. Are you aware of the ways to prevent this from becoming an issue?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen some total nightmares on all carbon racing yachts.
    Not properly sealed bolts eaten away in like 10 days with seawater.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I saw a mostly carbon fiber that used to be a sail boat that was tagged by lightning.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It was just a simple response to the points you brought up . If I had an agenda to go any further , I would have poised it in the form of a question ...

Flighty quips :
    I think he is trying to say his ass is very hairy...or something
    FlightStick , You couldn't have come up with something so irrelevant all by yourself . Tell the truth , you had help ... didn't you .. ? Ppppfffttttttttttttttt

PS ... thanks for overnight air on them Texican burrito's to me ... but now I seem to have gas ... we'll see by morning ..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by conmax View Post
    Double Rigged,

On another subject, since your profile indicates you are in marine electronics, are you aware of the conductivity of carbon fiber used in boat lamination. Since my new boat is a complete carbon fibre layup, I am concerned that anything that penetrates the hull or deck may also become conductive. I am also not certain that the riggers are aware of this. It would seem that is would be necessary to electrically insulate any conductive material that penetrates the carbon fiber laminates. Are you aware of the ways to prevent this from becoming an issue?
    You are correct. it will conduct. Extra care must be taken when rigging the boat. I would recommend using some sort of plastic thru-hulls or wrapping all holes when passing wires through the bulkheads. I would use tyblocks in place of Adel clamps as they are plastic. Lastly high grade marine cabling.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0027.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	412.2 KB 
ID:	367897

Double
    Rigged
    308 Skater w/400r’s
    Over-Kill

19. Thanks conmax thanked for this post
    Likes AZMIDLYF liked this post
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast