PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone ever run a T2 on a v bottom

KG4
01-09-2006, 10:56 AM
Back when my dad raced sst i think i remember a ally with a t2 on the back?I was pretty young but i remember i always wanted to race J Production.By the time i was old enough to race the class was gone.I have a 15 ft gw invader with center steering im redoing so i guess i can always pretend im at miami stadium.Anyone have any J Production pictures?I would love to see them.J Production was the coolest class i ever watched race.Thanks Bob

59powercat1400
01-09-2006, 02:59 PM
hey Bob, post some pics of your Invader will ya? Dick.

brianT2
01-09-2006, 04:58 PM
heres my dads (OLEGATOR) i agree on the J production being one of the best classes. always loved to watch them aired out.

Raceman
01-09-2006, 05:41 PM
I always thought OleGator's Ally with the T2 was the coolest V bottom ever built. I ran one also on a 15 Ally, but it wasn't decked over. I found mine very hard to get on top and ended up stickin' a 1500 XS Powerhead in it. Jim probably had his sorted. I was too impatient, and mine was just a lake toy anyway instead of a serious raceboat like his.

KG4
01-09-2006, 06:57 PM
Those pictures are awesome,I bet that thing flew how fast was it on top end?I will post some pics of my invader as soon as i get it painted.Thanks again for the pictures they where awesome.

brianT2
01-09-2006, 07:10 PM
dad ran 96.333 at the NOA kilo's in '75. the boat is still around with this horrifying gold paint job :(

KG4
01-09-2006, 07:20 PM
That is one bad-ass looking ally.I would choose that over a $30,000 stv any day.

Raceman
01-09-2006, 09:01 PM
dad ran 96.333 at the NOA kilo's in '75. the boat is still around with this horrifying gold paint job :(

Brian, where is it now?

KG4
01-09-2006, 10:43 PM
I think thats the same boat that is in one of my dads old propeller mag from the 70s it was a for sale ad with a picture.I will have to dig up that issue and see.

25ss
01-10-2006, 03:24 AM
It was at the last Clayton race boat show.
Dale!

25ss
01-10-2006, 03:33 AM
Some more

minto
01-12-2006, 05:15 AM
Looks GREAT, What was the spec for the J Production class ?

Raceman
01-12-2006, 05:44 AM
J Production was generally a 15/16 ft V bottom with a 99 cu in limit box stock production engine and 4 carb venturi. The factory race motors like the Merc BP's, Twisters & T2's weren't legal, and neither were the OMC Stranglers and 4 cyl Stingers. The most common and competitive engine by far was the shortshaft inline 6 Merc (1500J's and XS's when they came available) although a few die hards tried unsuccessfully to compete with the old 20" 135 OMC's.

minto
01-12-2006, 05:54 AM
Thanks RACEMAN, how healthy was the entrylist in this class during

it's heyday ?

T2x
01-13-2006, 08:24 AM
The factory race motors like the Merc BP's, Twisters & T2's weren't legal, .

Actually the BP's with the stock shifting lower units were designed to race in J and I Production classes.

T2x

2us70
01-13-2006, 12:12 PM
I remember when the BP motors came out right after OMC released the GT 115s. It seems to me that most of those motors wound up on Sport class boats. Were those lower units to fragile or over geared for the heavier Family class boats or what? I ran a few races in FJ about that time and never saw one with a BP.

willabee
01-13-2006, 03:09 PM
Must have been a rule change in 69 for 1970, since they were built again in 69.......gear ratios were 1.5:1 and 1.75:1

At The 1968 Nationals, I Ran A Sabre In Family I, With A 1000bp. The Bp's Were Outlawed Sometime After The Nationals, Maybe The End Of The '68 Apba Season. The Bp's Had At Least Two Different Ratio's Available.

Mark75H
01-13-2006, 04:44 PM
BP's had available ratios of 1:1, 1.25:1, 1.5:1, 1.75:1 and 2:1. Available pitch ran from the low 20's into the 30's.

2:1 with a low 20-ish prop would certainly have worked on production V bottoms and OFFSHORE boats of the day.

xskid
01-30-2006, 11:39 PM
i was just going to say i saw that ally/t2x at clayton, but dale beat me to it. i have a 13ft v-bottom with 1500xs, it runs low 80s, the guy that had it in the early 80s had a t2x on it and it ran 102 mph in the 1/4 mile.

Raceman
01-31-2006, 01:39 PM
i was just going to say i saw that ally/t2x at clayton, but dale beat me to it. i have a 13ft v-bottom with 1500xs, it runs low 80s, the guy that had it in the early 80s had a t2x on it and it ran 102 mph in the 1/4 mile.

102 in the quarter with a T2X is kinda hard to believe, given the fact that the kilo record set with one was somewhere in the 90's, and of course Kilos are run flat out from starting line all the way through the traps.

As far as the T2X's on the small V's, are y'all sure they weren't T2's like the one on OleGator's boat on the first page? The X motors, being exactly 5 inches shorter than a T2 or a 1500XS would've had the tuner buried about 6 inches in the water, and would be hell to get on top, especially considerin' the fact that they were real doggy on the low end anyhow. With the tuner being buried, and the snout of the T2X also being turned down and buried on a small V Bottom it'd take a tow truck to get started, and sure wouldn't be a good drag combo. When I bought the first T3 mid (same as a T2X for anybody that doesn't know it) off the Merc truck at the St. Louis race and told em that I was gonna put it on a 15 Ally, they advised against it for the same reason. The first tuner I had with it was very long, but the V6 was able to overcome it more than a T2 would. I noticed when I saw Benny Robertson's 15 Ally similarly equiped a year or so later that he'd sawed the snout off, making it straight out the back like today's champ mids are, probably to unbury the exhaust some.

Jeff_G
01-31-2006, 03:25 PM
xskid a 13' or a 15' ? A TII on a 13 would be insane! I'm really not sure a 13' could handle 100+ mph. To reach those numbers you would need about a 12" set back as well.

xskid
02-01-2006, 01:16 AM
insane? damn right!!! its almost insane to have a 1500xs on it. it is a copy of a mx-13 checkmate. only 2 of them were made. i think one of my 850xs"s will end up on it after i get one restored. it would not go as fast, but would be more balanced. the guy that built the boat ( him and his friend built them in 1981 ) told me how fast it went and i totally believe him. my xs runs low 80s at neg. trim. im afraid to go up another pin or even half a pin. you could run it up a pin, i guess, but conditions would have to be perfect, no wind, smooth water, etc. you can see the boat on this website, look at the coverage of allisons 50th aniversary near the bottom of the home page, go to the photo gallery. there are pics on pages 3 and 9. i was the only 1500xs there, it got a lot of attention.

gemini
02-01-2006, 05:31 PM
For what its worth my various decked over Allisons with T2 power still hold the APBA and NOA Kilo records with 1:1 speedmasters and 18's at 93+ and 96+ MPH in the late 70's. Maybe Jim Hunt and I needed to lose a little weight at the time and we could have broke 100mph. My 200 V6/ssm 14:15 on a later decked over Allison went thru the kilos in 1980 at only 103 mph. It was still good enough at the time to get me in the APBA/Evinrude 100 mph club. I do still have a photo of Butch Jordan from 1966 with a 13' Allison and 110 Merc w/ssm unit trying to set a kilo record. Too much wind that day and not a good ride.

v6guy
02-05-2006, 05:09 PM
The Allison that you are referring to is it the orange and black one that went to Minnesota?
Sky Wallace bought one from Texas. Just curious. Thanks, An old V bottom racer.
And there were several combinations up in the midwest using T1's T2's even T2X's using hydrostreams, allison's and vampires.
Boy would I like to find some old pictures, I will try to get a hold of Ron Baker and Howard Pipkorn.
Say, some people using OMC stuff kicked some Merc butt with those combos. Thanks This old stuff warms my blood!

gemini
02-07-2006, 10:08 PM
The decked over 16' that went to Minn. was actually Mariner colors of orange and gray. This boat was an old JP cast off that was restored and decked over for me by Tom Drozd of Lake Dallas. I only ran a 1750XS on this boat until the kilos and then put on a so,so mod 2.4 to be sure it would run over 100mph. It did and thus was the first OPC APBA V-bottom to run over 100mph thru the kilos in 1980. The original 1750XS on the boat had an interesting history. I bought a DeSilva 18' hydro from Mercury with 2-1750XS on it. They used it for testing high speed gear cases that bolted in the center pod. I never ran the boat,it was junk,but the motors were great.

Raceman
02-08-2006, 07:26 AM
Louis, did Glenn Dickerson from Waco never run his 15 Ally/1750XS/2.4 in APBA Kilos? I know he went 115 about that time ('79 or '80) at NOA Kilos in Knoxville. Whatever year he did it my decked over 16 ran 113 at the same event. I was thinkin' Glen said somethin' about APBA also, but can't remember. Seems like his boat was blown over and destroyed not long after. His wasn't decked over, but rather open cockpit with a little air deflector in front of the driver. He was the first guy I ever heard talkin' about finger porting a 2.4, which supposedly had been done to that powerhead.

gemini
02-08-2006, 11:34 PM
Glen is still around wrenching on Mercs in Waco Texas. He never raced much because of bad eye problems but was the best wrench in Texas. He never owned a decked over Allison boat and I am sure he never ran any NOA kilos in Tenn. I did have Daris build me a 2 tone blue 16' decked over with a wing around 1980. It had a nice Mod 2.4 w/12" SSM but I sold it to Greg Clayton from Arkansas and he had Stevie Robertson run it in Tenn. and Texas. Glen could have been there helping Greg since they were friends. It ran 107 at the 1980 Texas kilos. Later the next year Tom Booth of Ark. blew it over and really messed himself and the boat up. The boat actually turned up in Houston a year or so ago painted all black with no rear decking or wing. It was beat up bad. I guess old race boats never completely die.

Raceman
02-09-2006, 04:01 AM
I'm absolutely sure Glenn was there. It was either 79, 80, or 81 and was the only time I ever met him (actually an outside chance of '82, but don't think so). The boat wasn't decked, but was open cockpit and it was red and white. It had a small windscreen thing right in front of the driver, and if I remember it was formed in clear plexiglass. It was also the only time that I ran Knoxville when Wayne Weeks WAS NOT there also. I thought I had a shot at the record since Wayne was always faster when I realized he didn't come that year, but Glen layed down that 115.

Glenn posted here once or twice several years ago, but can't recall his screen name.

htower
02-20-2006, 08:55 PM
A very good friend of mine - Tom Parks. Was lucky enough to own the ally t2x " just right" for about the last 10 years. I remember the day he called me up to say he found a t2x for his collection. This boat was put away in a building for years before Tom bought it, in the condition just as you saw it in Clayton ny. last year. I believe it was a dentist who had it at the time, he also had a 650xs sitting in the garage, not sure where that ended up, might still be there.
I'll never forget the day i first saw this rig. Not running, it made the hair on your neck stand up .Tom never put this boat in the water while he owned it, but i was lucky enough to fire it up on day, what a noise---.
Bob Grubb brought it to clayton for the show and then shortly there after Tom sold it to a fellow out in chicago.. I don't know you Brian, but what a great piece of history and beauty you have. Tom is one of the most knowledgeable and helpful guys i know, and has been involved in this hobby for the past 40 plus years..

T2x
02-20-2006, 09:36 PM
A very good friend of mine - Tom Parks. Was lucky enough to own the ally t2x " just right" for about the last 10 years. I remember the day he called me up to say he found a t2x for his collection. ..

Not to be redundant...but the engine on the Allison at Clayton was a T2.....not a T2x.

The T2x was completely different.....and shorter from the powerhead down... (see my avatar).....featuring a very similar center section to the current Champ motors (Without the power lift). The powerheads looked similar from the outside but had a lot more midrange....and probably 10 % more power at the top.

Hope this isn't too disappointing for your friend.

T2x

gemini
02-20-2006, 09:43 PM
A little history of "Just Right" from the original owner. The Allison had a T-2 not T2-X, the T2-X with 12" mid section was not a legal motor for the class. The boat was originally black/blue and ran a few races without a deck-over. Jim Hunt "Olegator" who ran the boat for me in Fla. had John McCall deck it over and the race was on. He won the APBA Natl. Closed Course was US 1 and set the NOA kilo record. After the class lost interest I sold the rig to Frank White from NY and moved on to Tunnel boats and the new MOD-VP. I am not sure who painted it gold/black and did some re-rigging but its ugly now. Jim had located the boat several years ago and tried to buy it but the owner never contacted him when it was sold. Too bad,it was Jim's favorite race boat.

htower
02-21-2006, 06:22 AM
Sorry boys for not being correct on the 2 and 2x part of it. Its not a motor you see everyday. And i certainly don't know anything about them. . I just was trying to shed some light on where its been for the past 10 years ..Tom did find this boat out in Long Island and i believe it was bought for under 3000. For that price you could paint it what ever color you wanted.