PDA

View Full Version : Outboard Unlimited Hydro??

largecar91
12-10-2005, 05:19 PM
I Found This In An Old Powerboat I Had. I Remember It Running Once But I Don't Think It Ever Ran Again. There Was Also An Unlimited That Had Multiple Outboard Powerheads Mounted In The Sponsons Coupled Via Belts To An Inboard Shaft(any Photos)??? I Think It Was Hauensteins??

Mark75H
12-10-2005, 06:01 PM
Correct; Jim Hauenstien's Arcadian Trucking sponsored boat. Had eight V-6's

Renato Molinari also set up a twin V-8 as an Unlimited

http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13028

Ray Neudecker
12-10-2005, 06:14 PM
At one time the unlimited hydros were hurting so bad for boats, they allowed outboards to run. Renato showed up with a tunnel and a pair of v-8's. The boat had some long fin type extensions to meet the length rules. They never invited him back again after that whipping.

Mark75H
12-10-2005, 06:28 PM
<!-- / user info --><!-- message, attachments, sig --><!-- message -->

None of the tunnels did well on the course in Miami which had reletively tight turns.

Funny story about the Arcadian, it threw a huge roostertail, not high but long. Because of that it couldn't be started in the pits in Miami. My job was to take an inflatable dinghy with a 40 hp and pull it out on the course before they could start. Since the boat was so big and heavy the inflatable couldn't steer it so we solved that by dragging it with the inflatable in reverse so the bow would give directional steering! What a sight! But sure was fun.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig --> __________________

http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13031

lilabner
12-11-2005, 11:22 PM
How about the Aronow-Garbrecht V8 Johnson Unlimited?

LakeRacer99
12-13-2005, 10:11 AM
I warmed up the oldtime machine and dug out this thread for you guys...Merry Christmas!

Unlimited Boats (http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19195&highlight=bilge)

1BadAction
12-13-2005, 10:40 AM
t-4 = 450hp on methanol :eek: :eek: get the scatter shield!

smirnoff
12-15-2005, 08:01 PM
Saw the Arcadian run in Vegas in 1986, ran less than 2-laps to qualify, 92mph was the top speed, the belts snapped like rubber bands & that was it. I have a ton of photos which I took located somewhere in my archives.....btw: it sounded AWFUL cool!!!

~Smirnoff

lilabner
12-16-2005, 12:32 AM
Al Copeland could have run this one..it ran great..I think Jerry Gilbreath engineered it also..

T2x
12-16-2005, 02:51 PM
Al Copeland could have run this one..it ran great..I think Jerry Gilbreath engineered it also..

The Popeyes was an Offshore racer but used the same laid down powerhead, gilmer belt concept that Acadian used...... It carried 6 T-3 powerheads for races ....and 8 for kilo runs...... With 6 powerheads it was a couple of miles an hour slower than our 36' Jesse James Conquest cat with twin 725 Mercruisers..... with 8 powerheads it was 15 mph faster.....officially. Based on that I don't understand why the Acadian was "popping" belts, especially given that you can create them in virtually unlimited widths.

T2x

lilabner
12-16-2005, 04:02 PM
They had to create a slip clutch type of belt drive, so when (not if) one engine went sour or south, the others could keep going without belt damage. One of the big problems was the other engines would totally destroy the weak engine and you wouldn't know it until it was little pieces of junk. There was no engine rebuild program because of that..Al's shop was behind mine, and Bill Sirois and the rest of the crew were good friends of mine many years before this project.
I loved the boat..it was a beautiful thing to see.. It set a World Record for Ocean Racers the first time out in the Bahamas. Mark Seay told me it ran over 140 at the Lake..he and Bill had a close call when the throttles jammed wide open, they almost ran out of lake till Bill spun it out at WFO...I can't remember Bills' comment to Mark when they stopped, but it was classic Bill..Mark was spent...

1BadAction
12-16-2005, 04:07 PM
why didnt they use a one way style drive? so if one engine broke the pulley on it free-spun. maybe they didnt have one way bearings at that time :confused:

SCT
12-16-2005, 04:19 PM
T2X/ Lillabner,

How did they plumb the cooling for 6/8 powerheads? Pickups? That would be alot of flow for that many powerheads. Or some type of closed cooling system?

It must of been fun to get all of the throttles synced up.

Also, whatever happened to the boat?

SCT

lilabner
12-16-2005, 04:32 PM
I don't remember the cooling system, but I seem to remember 2 pickups..There should be no supply problem..
If you do a search on SNF, you might find the posts from last year..one of them dealt with the fate of the boat..pretty sure it ended up IO power..