PDA

View Full Version : Checkmate Setup

aaron bjerke
05-22-2001, 06:08 PM
Looking for information from other Starflight owners on the best setup. I have a 92 with 5.5" cmc jack and 200 xri with 23p tempest. Currently running 67-69 mph. What can help to get me into the 70's? Heads, Reeds ?

check88
05-22-2001, 06:47 PM
setback,setback,and more setback,no seriousley you need at least 12" and up to 16"+ to get these hulls to fly the bow right.i'm running a similar rig (it's an 89)with 12" of setback,propshaft paralell to the bottom of the pad,and a 26" mazco spinning around 6000 to 6200 rpm's.a low water pick up is neccessary to jack the motor up this high and cutting your existing heads to 33-34 cc's will give you a couple of more h.p. too.i am trying to figure out a way to add more setback to mine without having to change out my steering but i think that is just not going to happen so i will likely have to spring for a new set of cables so i can give her a couple of more inches of setback to play with.good luck with it.

aaron bjerke
05-23-2001, 07:33 AM
Thanks, I am getting a 26 chopper this coming week and will try that, but setback is a good option as well. I already have some extra cable and a sea star pro hydraulic system. What setback bracket do you use with your hydraulic jack?

Rickracer
05-23-2001, 07:58 AM
I help you out with good prices on setbacks and steering cables. Check with me before you spend too much elsewhere.

check88
05-23-2001, 08:22 AM
aaron get yourself something like a 10" gil bracket-this will work with your cmc jack plate and give you a total of 15.5" of set back which should be plenty for your rig.start off with the centerline of the propshaft about one half of an inch below the pad and work your way up from there to find the sweet spot.you do have low water pick up don't you?let us know how it works out.

aaron bjerke
05-23-2001, 08:32 AM
If i go back that far with the bracket, what amount of transom bracing do i need and how should i best accomplish it?

check88
05-24-2001, 07:47 AM
aaron my rig was built with knee braces going from the transom to the stringers.you could have a good fiberglass shop add something like this if you don't already have it.i have also seen people make a triangle shaped brace out of aluminum that is tied to the lower motor mounting bolts and then bolted thru the stringers.need someone with good fabricating skills to make these up for you.

aaron bjerke
05-24-2001, 03:26 PM
Yes, Mine is built that way too. I was just curious if it was something to be concerned about with hanging the motor out there 12-16" on a checkmate hull. Most we see around here are not setback near that far.

tks

check88
05-26-2001, 07:14 PM
i don't think it's too far but you do need to make sure your transom is in good shape before you hang your motor back that far.have a good fiberglass guy look at it and make sure it is not rotted.checkmate built their transoms pretty strong-just look at some of the other brands transoms,some are only 3/4 of an inch thick.