PDA

View Full Version : Where are they now

mbd29
10-27-2005, 06:57 AM
I see a number of names from the past popping up here and often wonder where they are at now. I'm going to throw a few names out and see if this thread can keep gong. It would be nice to see or here from some of the "retired" racers and what they are doing now.

I started with Danny Piggot on the other site so I will do the same here. Danny, what were you thinking as you were going over?

How about:
Chick Gagen >>>>>Owns Dealership in FL.
Jock Horner>>> I believe he is retired
Homer Greene
Tommy Posey
Kevin/ Mark Miller
Kim Jernigan
Bert Sera
Terry Leatherby
Bob Larson
Bill Petty
Tom Arnstad
Doug Pearl >>>Talked to him about 15 years ago and he had short hair and kids.
The Berghauers >>>>Denis live in Oshkosh down the street from me. Dewy and Dee are still in Milwaukee.

These are just a few from different eras to get this started.

mbd29
10-27-2005, 06:59 AM
Posting Dannys picture of blowover in Miami didn't work. I'll keep trying.

JWTjr.
10-27-2005, 08:43 AM
I remember Kim, she started in MGP when I was racing JP...she sure was a cutie...

JWTjr.

BrianSmith
10-27-2005, 09:34 PM
Well......I guess I may be one of those names from your list and that Era (70-74). I drove U and S boats from Canada with the CANTEK race team from Toronto. #s 588 and 988
I won Canadian Nationals and region 2 high points a few times. Great memories. I have often wondered abot Bert, the Briggs boys, etc. etc.

BrianSmith
10-27-2005, 09:54 PM
How are you John? This site was passed along to me and I thought I would take a look..........great stuff!

Haven't seen Dick in many years, used to get together in the winter on snowmobiles a few times but that I guess was 18 years or so ago.

I live in Mexico now, in Merida..........thought I was retired but am starting up a shotcrete business for something to do. Was into R/C for a few years, but eyes and reflexes are kinda slow now.LOL!

BrianSmith
10-28-2005, 02:11 PM
Sadly virtually all of my pics ended up with Dick and an Ex.

Has anyone heard about/from Bert Serra...Freddy Van Wagner......Frank Lewellan (Boomer), Fred Miles?

So very many names.........What about the John (forgot his last name) that used to organize the races in upper NY state?

I got heavily into Scale hydros some years ago. Gawd they're fast! Then, with the cottage, Antique launches. (real ones) During the early 90's I began travelling heavily to Mexico/Florida/Carribean for business so that died out. I sold the place in 97 and started a consulting business that I "retired" from almost 2 years ago.

Since quitting the racing I actually have only seen 2 or 3 races........It's nice to see the formula ones on TV tho.

Does the forum attract many of us?

It's nice to speak with someone from what was such an important part of my life John.

Regards

JWTjr.
10-28-2005, 04:35 PM
Many fond memories of these guys:

Roger Meekins (still exchange Christmas cards with him & Sherrill)
Fred Hartmann
Tabb Bridges
Bill Browne (still owns Pick's Boathouse in OH?)
Tony Terry
Rocky Jordan
Lynn Nichols
Mike Boutin (still get a Christmas card from his ex!)
David Viau
Gary Schiel
Chip Watkins
Ted Bravo (last saw Ted about 10 years ago)
Mike Quindazzi (still lives near me, see him every couple years or so)
Richard Blauman
Rick Adamzyk
Bill Dinbokowitz
Bob Follweiler (sp?)
Don Jenkinson
Bill Richter (sp?)
Jerry Neeley
Gary Kapit
Thom/Todd Bucknell (still makes props in OH, still see them now and then)

Many more, just can't think of them right now...will have to get old photo albums out...

JWTjr.

BrianSmith
10-28-2005, 06:53 PM
My Gawd..........Freddy Hartman!

Too many to even think of at one time...........Have you been out to any races John?

Jeff Lytle
10-29-2005, 07:56 AM
Told you you'd like this place!!

Welcome :D

BrianSmith
10-29-2005, 08:11 AM
Yes John V.........LOL! what a memory you have..........I was wondering about Sue as well of course!

Are they still around?

Mark75H
10-29-2005, 08:48 AM
John Valachovic's nephew is "outboard bob" here on screamandfly

BrianSmith
10-30-2005, 10:06 AM
Thanx Very much......

Brian

outboard bob
10-30-2005, 12:00 PM
John Valachovic passed on in 1980. and yes he did put on a lot of races, a lot of them with the small hydros and runabouts,and some marathons. He is probably most noted for the first OPC race at Carl's lake X as the official Inspector.
OPC was a family class of boats Outboard Pleasure Craft.
Some how it has evolved into Outboard Performance Craft.

There is still to this day very few people that do not know what a Hurricane 10 is and that it is a Mercury engine. That is without a dbout the most well known engine from any manufacturer ever. Bob Valachovic

BrianSmith
10-30-2005, 04:55 PM
John was a wonderful man..full of enthusiasm and energy. I'm sure he is missed by all who were close to him and those of us who came into contact over the years.

What relation are you Bob?

outboard bob
10-30-2005, 05:17 PM
John was a wonderful man..full of enthusiasm and energy. I'm sure he is missed by all who were close to him and those of us who came into contact over the years.

What relation are you Bob?
John was my Uncle. WE lived accross the street from each other.
The Wing that is my Avitar that I own I first seen in person in 1968 accross the street from my house when Kitson was over for dinner at Johns house, looked pretty big on the trailer then, Just as it does now.

BrianSmith
10-30-2005, 05:28 PM
I think we were at John's house one time......possibly left one of our boats there. I recall his son and Sue....How are they? Please say hello if you are in touch.

outboard bob
10-30-2005, 05:53 PM
So many raceboats around at the time ,was sort of commonplace. espically the little hydros stacked on trailers in the yard.
They are both still around . Susan operates a race car parts shop for Spraker Racing and Mike runs a marina in Scotia .
The days of the Raceboats are virtually gone around here in region 2, at least not like it was .

BrianSmith
10-30-2005, 06:43 PM
You likely don't remember us I guess.....we had quite an entourage 'tho.

We were known as CANTEK Racing from Toronto......white boats with black and red stripes, and various camper/haulers...the last one was a black crew-cab Ford with a large white camper.

Ran a twin Molinari which we took to Africa, then various Miles single boats.mostly two, one for me and the other for Dick Summerfeldt.

Does Mike still have his Daytona Charger? Fond memories of Sue....I still have the lighter she gave me.

outboard bob
10-30-2005, 10:48 PM
You likely don't remember us I guess.....we had quite an entourage 'tho.

We were known as CANTEK Racing from Toronto......white boats with black and red stripes, and various camper/haulers...the last one was a black crew-cab Ford with a large white camper.

Ran a twin Molinari which we took to Africa, then various Miles single boats.mostly two, one for me and the other for Dick Summerfeldt.

Does Mike still have his Daytona Charger? Fond memories of Sue....I still have the lighter she gave me.
Mike sold the green Daytona years back . I will get ahold of Susan and tell her that you still have the lighter.
And yes the boat going to Africa.......You are the guys Boatracing doesnt have any longer.

Watermark
11-01-2005, 11:18 AM
A big HELLO to Brian Smith! Great to hear from one of Canada's finest tunnel boat racers!

Thought you might remember these guys.. tough looking group (except the one on the right ;). I'll try to dig up a few shots of Cantek Racing .. I have a number from our trip with you to Havasu in '71.

Brian, Tom Wood and Oley Berkis both passed away in the early 90's. Spencer died at age 51 in 1997. I hear Dick is well and talks frequently to past CBF prez, Ted Abel. I still see Jimmy Cascadden and Dave Cameron on occasion.

Cheers!

PS - I recall a news making barrell-roll you performed in Parry Sound .. 1973 I believe? I rolled my SJ Moly the same day.

Bruce Washburn
11-01-2005, 01:43 PM
I had dinner with Homer about a year ago. He is still in the sod business. Bought a marina/ fish camp outside of Okeechobee and still has the SST 140 Seebold in the Barn.

The last time I tlaked to Kevin and Mark Miller was several years ago. They were still in Niceville, FL building Houses. I think that Noah taks to them from time to time

The last time I saw Kim was 5 or 6 years ago at a boat race in Auburndale. She was there watching with Husband and baby.

A couple of other names not on the list spotted at races this year:
Harley Wilson and family showed up at a boat race in Inverness FL. this year. Harley races mud trucks from time to time. He has put on a few pounds from his racing days.

Bunky Bowerman also showed up to the race in Inverness Fl.

I had Harley as my radio man the first day and Bunky the second day.

Jerry Neely still lives in Auburndale. I think he works for the school system.

Watermark
11-01-2005, 02:48 PM
#588, Cantek Racing ... sometimes you run hot.. maybe a bit too hot! I think Brian will like the shot taken earlier that day at Havasu.

Watermark
11-01-2005, 03:28 PM
Brian Smith lining up for a pace-boat start (Miles #988) in Schenectady, NY 1973... Andy (Andre) Savard follows in red Burns.

JWTjr.
11-01-2005, 05:44 PM
Does anyone know where a restorable mid-70s SJ, UJ, etc. (V4 or inline) OPC tunnel might be available for sale? I am looking for one, preferably an early picklefork as opposed to a non-picklefork. I have been looking for one for years to restore and run at antique outboard meets. I have a period engine for it (original Super Strangler) so no engine is needed. I have seen a couple here and there, but nothing quite right yet.

JWTjr.

BrianSmith
11-01-2005, 06:45 PM
WatermarK!

Your profile doesn't give your name.......SJ......Hmmm..could be a number of folks........thanx so much for the compliment. We all worked very hard.

The pics are great! If you any others could you please send them to my Email address?

Havasau that year was a disappointment. We had just had the boats sponsons rplaced and modified by Bill Boulter after my road excusion earlier that fall in Ohio.
With it running flatter (necessary with the C-6), the plywood at the fronts of the sponsons was wek and took a real beating......thus I got wet feet and had to wait onshore untill I was picked up.

I do have the neg and pic from Parry sound where I rolled the boat..that was quite a ride! Unfortunately it is filed away so I'll try try to dig it out and scan it.

BrianSmith
11-01-2005, 06:55 PM
I had heard about Oley and Tom..........not about Spencer.......sad............ all strong committed competitors.

Where's Jimmy Cascadden at? Had great times with him! and Dave? I would love to have overheard the "Pointers" Mark was being given during the pic!

outboard bob
11-01-2005, 08:32 PM
WatermarK!

Your profile doesn't give your name.......SJ......Hmmm..could be a number of folks........thanx so much for the compliment. We all worked very hard.

The pics are great! If you any others could you please send them to my Email address?

Havasau that year was a disappointment. We had just had the boats sponsons rplaced and modified by Bill Boulter after my road excusion earlier that fall in Ohio.
With it running flatter (necessary with the C-6), the plywood at the fronts of the sponsons was wek and took a real beating......thus I got wet feet and had to wait onshore untill I was picked up.

I do have the neg and pic from Parry sound where I rolled the boat..that was quite a ride! Unfortunately it is filed away so I'll try try to dig it out and scan it.
We went to Canada to see the WATERMARK run a couple of times. His dad was the main part of the pitcrew.
I beleive that the Canadian Goverment recently inducted the WATERMARK into like a National Hall of fame for the entire country. Bob

Watermark
11-01-2005, 09:10 PM
[QUOTE=outboard bob]We went to Canada to see the WATERMARK run a couple of times. His dad was the main part of the pitcrew.

Bob, you are so right about Dad. He deserves the credit for the success we enjoyed and travelled to every North American race throughout my 17 years on the circuit. Almost 81, he is fit and well - and planning to come to Clayton next season if I get that old CCC Molinari running..

I trust you will be there too? I best talk to T2x and reserve early!

Jeff Lytle
11-01-2005, 09:34 PM
Bob, you are so right about Dad. He deserves the credit for the success we enjoyed and travelled to every North American race throughout my 17 years on the circuit. Almost 81, he is fit and well - and planning to come to Clayton next season if I get that old CCC Molinari running..

Hey Mark.........Does he still like Manhattens?? He made Dad and I a couple one year in Brockville--------SHEESH!!

outboard bob
11-01-2005, 09:39 PM
You are extremely fortunate to have him there. That is without question the foundation for your success.
I will be at Clayton and will bring a couple boats. In October 06 i will be competing in the Parker race that has been resurected,should be a grand time.
Great conversing with you.Best wishes. Bob Valachovic

Watermark
11-01-2005, 10:56 PM
[QUOTE=Watermark]
So Watermark is ... ;) -Water--------Mark (no **** sherlock)- :D

Yup.. it is.. Now here is a picture of you driving your cowl-less tunnel in NY one fine day in '73. We had a great race in Toronto ( even better for you because you won! ) around that same time.. and you were driving this boat.. ( I believe it was a boat your own design, or at least a refurb ?? ).

I've told many people through the years that I never saw a driver fly a boat as high and as consistently as you.. and here is the proof .

Good to catch up with you again!

outboard bob
11-01-2005, 11:12 PM
I worked that race and had to pull all the crap out of the river and at that time thats just what was in there. I liked Johns boat with the tonneau cover instead of the cowl. I recall this like today. Bob

outboard bob
11-01-2005, 11:41 PM
This was another great boat that you will remember.
Backed up to the front work area of the boat store, you in white coveralls, I was there and asked if you needed a hand. Bob

outboard bob
11-01-2005, 11:54 PM
John ...I meant that you stopped at the boat store to do something to the boat at another time with this boat.

T2x
11-02-2005, 09:47 AM
It looks like Clayton is shaping up to be some reunion........

Mark...... you can drive the Wing......... If John and I can drive the Moli.

Come to think of it....The Moli is probably safer. ;)

T2x

BrianSmith
11-02-2005, 10:09 AM
Geez...that sounds like fun! It is next summer I am guessing..........maybe I could arrange my annual pilgramage back to Toronto around the same time..............

Brian

T2x
11-02-2005, 05:28 PM
Is it just me........or were both John's and Mark's noses crafted from the same mold?

I'm just asking.....put down the tomatoes.....drop the water balloons.....

I'm just saying there is an aerodynamic resemblance between the leading edges of both men.......

Maybe it gave them a speed advantage........or a device for aiming more precisely in turns.

Unfortunately my lack of hair was always defeated as a speed device because we had to wear helmets :D

T2x......... asking the tough technical questions.

outboard bob
11-02-2005, 05:38 PM
Is it just me........or were both John's and Mark's noses crafted from the same mold?

I'm just asking.....put down the tomatoes.....drop the water balloons.....

I'm just saying there is an aerodynamic resemblance between the leading edges of both men.......

Maybe it gave them a speed advantage........or a device for aiming more precisely in turns.

Unfortunately my lack of hair was always defeated as a speed device because we had to wear helmets :D

T2x......... asking the tough technical questions.
Yes Rich but look at how much tighter the helmet fits without the hair, KEEPS THE HEAD FROM GETTING BIG !!!!!!!

T2x
11-03-2005, 09:40 AM
I will be in Clayton with two boats.
1963 Farmer 280 Hydro and a 1962 15c Power Cat.

What about the Wing?

T2x

Watermark
11-03-2005, 10:17 AM
Now if Mark will post a nose picture we can let our members be the judge.

Oh, aren't we a competitve bunch! Note both shots are pretty much straight on which doesn't give portray the true length and hook.. so our members will have to use their imagination.

Here we are, 25 years later, competing nose-to-nose again... does it really get much better?? Thanks T2x for dropping the bar down to an all new (low) level.

By the way, I read where the nose is the only body part that never stops growing, so even if John has me now, I could pull ahead and win at the finish. Frankly, as much as I want to win, my vote is for John.

Powercat
11-03-2005, 10:19 AM
I will be in Clayton with two boats.
1963 Farmer 280 Hydro and a 1962 15c Power Cat.
John:
You did get the Power Cat transported from California then?
Do you plan to configure the boat as a racer with center
steering? Should be a fun project.
Danny Leger

T2x
11-03-2005, 11:22 AM
Oh, aren't we a competitve bunch! Note both shots are pretty much straight on which doesn't give portray the true length and hook.. so our members will have to use their imagination.

Here we are, 25 years later, competing nose-to-nose again... does it really get much better?? Thanks T2x for dropping the bar down to an all new (low) level.

By the way, I read where the nose is the only body part that never stops growing, so even if John has me now, I could pull ahead and win at the finish. Frankly, as much as I want to win, my vote is for John.

Spoken like a true member of the Canadian Motor Sports Hall of Fame.

By the way.....where exactly is Canada?...... I keep forgetting....eh? :p

T2x

Hydrovector
11-03-2005, 01:11 PM
Bill Brown of Picks Boat house is now a fully ordained (spelling) minister in the Catholic Church.
He sold off Picks Boat House a couple of years ago. I tried to get him to sell me all his Hydrostream stuff but he didn't. I bought my 1976 Vixen off him too. Back in the day we had a good time putting on races in Region 6 with the Akron Outboard Club. I have known Bill for about 30 years and I can tell you he is very happy now.

willabee
11-03-2005, 01:51 PM
:D Good stuff you guys, makes for great belly laughs :D

My vote goes to John, he wins by a .......well, you know :D

T2x
11-03-2005, 02:52 PM
Oh, aren't we a competitve bunch! .........

The betting seems to be splitting along National lines with the yanks sneezing out support for our entry and the Canadians nosing up behind their's.

Based on simple population Mr. Sherlock is a shoe in for the victory...in spite of the fact that Prince Charles (and his wife the Duchess of Homely) is currently in the U.S. trying to sway public sentiment for his favorite Canadian honker.

This could be decided by the width......of a handkerchief.

T2x...................... baldly going where none have gone before

Watermark
11-03-2005, 03:33 PM
[QUOTE=T2x]
This could be decided by the width......of a handkerchief.
T2x

If only that famous clairvoyant Nostril-damus was still living to predict such things. Beak-kind T2x, old boat racers are a sensitive lot.. we hurt like any other underpaid athlete does.

Fact is, John and I were forced into retirement when those darn airbottles came along.. the weight of the ones we needed to carry aboard put us at a disadvantage. That, together with the cost of custom-formed and fitted oxygen masks put us way over budget. It's enough to take your breath away, or maybe we're enough to take your breath away - don't get stuck in an elevator with us!

By the way, responding to this forum has clearly impacted the amount of work I've done today.. but it is a lot more fun! For your viewing pleasure, I've attached a good blow-over shot of me at Valleyfield back in '77. Once again, I had my nose up too high...

Watermark
11-03-2005, 04:00 PM
...and another...

T2x
11-03-2005, 05:39 PM
Great pictures........................

.......................Bad driving

But great pictures........ :D

T2x

T2x
11-03-2005, 05:43 PM
Mark:

Please give my warmest personal regards to Poppa R.

T2x

Stinky
11-04-2005, 12:49 PM
284. OUch! :eek:

Old fiberglass
11-07-2005, 11:24 AM
Here is a good where are they now picture. I know it was taken in 1963 and I "assume" taken in Southern California. The Cobra, (California Outboard Racing Association) group perhaps ??

Who was the female holding the trophy ?? Bobby Massey is in the next row behind to her to the center of the picture wearing a black shirt holding two trophies.

FUJIMO
05-19-2021, 02:05 PM
https://www.screamandfly.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=96351&d=1131380652

Bob V
05-19-2021, 05:59 PM
Here is a good where are they now picture. I know it was taken in 1963 and I "assume" taken in Southern California. The Cobra, (California Outboard Racing Association) group perhaps ??

Who was the female holding the trophy ?? Bobby Massey is in the next row behind to her to the center of the picture wearing a black shirt holding two trophies.