PDA

View Full Version : seats

Sutphen115
09-21-2005, 11:10 PM
I am getting ready to finish my boat which is a 79 Marauder x15 which is a copy of a 15' ally. I am getting ready to start putting it back together. I just put in a transom, stringers, and the floor. My question is where can I find a set of bucket seats for it with low backs. I see a lot of them in the old ally's. I am going to be putting an early 80's 85 horse merc on it. I have a cable and pulley steering for it or should i put in a ride guide steering. When i got the boat it had no seats in it but the guy I got it from said it had a seat on each side of it but when it was a drag boat it was center steer. I was thinking of making it a center steer again since all the holes are there. The guy i got it from said that when the boat was on pad it rode pretty flat because it had a big pad for a small boat. It has a 12" pad on it. So my two questions are where can I find nice seat for it and the second question is would it be better to make it a center steer again or should I keep the steering on the side.
Also this boat isin't getting setup to ski or anything, thats what my sutphen is for. But i want to start going faster, so this boat will be setup to just zip around the lake. If anyone has any suggestions I will gladly take them.
thanks chris

Jeff_G
09-22-2005, 10:41 AM
You can get some pretty good looking low rise buckets from most of the big online stores like west marine, boat US Etc. Look for Pontoon boat seats. They should fit the bill.

Are you going to ride passengers or just yourself?
Cable and pully is fastest and most feel but all of the feedback, torque. Is tiring used all day particularly with high transom heights, Rideguide should do for pleasure use.

If you use the boat with a single center seat the boat will be better balanced I would stay there, but if you put side by side and carry someone, move to a side steering. All depends on what you want.

A 12" pad is a huge pad! Your ride should be very rough in any chop.

Sutphen115
09-23-2005, 08:18 PM
I want to have a boat to play around with. I have been driving my Sutphen around for the past 4 years and it's just not fast enough, plus marauder will use a little less gas. But thats not the main reason thats just a plus. I have a hydrollic steering system but is it worth putting in or should I just stick with the cable and pulley? Eventually I want to put a jackplate on it. thanks for the input. chris

Hottrucks
09-24-2005, 06:31 AM
Think of it this way it sounds like you know what to do. I would go with HD streering if ya got it if not I and most guys use a dual push pull cable steer. You may end up with a Bigger motor on it one day and you won't have to go back and redo stuff you have done already. Also stay with the center steer sounds like you have a work pleasure boat. So go have some fun and remember that you can't be over safe building or driving these things.

Jeff