PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever seen this boat? 73 Baja 1600-C

Sagabu
09-21-2005, 01:06 AM
Below is a link to pics of the 73 Baja (race boat???) I just bought.
I am seeking its history and turning over every rock I can. Mabey it was just a weekend toy, but if it has a spot in racing history, I would like to document it and report it is still alive, unmolested, and well.
It has no harware exept what is required for racing. It has no cleats, lights, or pleasure boat items.
It has no carpet and never has, never will. The floor is painted black w/red and blue splatters on it.
It has three "Oh Yea" handles, tilt&trim on the fly, cut-out clips that stop the engine when the driver is discharged from the boat (hope that never happens), a speedo that starts at 50mph, stabilizor Fin, dual cable steering, "Hot-Foot", large steel fuel tank w/sending unit and saftey straps, heavy duty batt hold down, and steel transom plate.
I will not be the first to drill a hole in it.
the hull and transom are super solid. It makes my knucles hurt when I knock on the transom.
My plans are to restore the boat to original condition w/no additives.
It was stored in an air-plane hangar for many years.
The original title shows that the boat was owned by Fred Miller from 73 till a month ago. I was told that he was a Baja exec and met an untimely death. It was then purchaced by a falla at an estate auction a month ago.
The engine is a 73 Mercury 150 as well and was titled at the same time as the boat.
The addresses on the original titles is 529 S.Poplar St. Bucyrus. I think that the addy was the location of Baja before the fire. They were titled directly from Baja and not a dealer.
The fella that bought it at auction stated that there was a box full of tropheis and plaques that sold at auction before the boat did that IMHO should have been included w/the boat as well as a power trim pump and two bladed brass race prop. Unfortunately I cannot track them down but am trying.
I hope that someone here can feed me some past info (anything) on this vintage relic or at least verify what I already assume. I plan to treat it as a collectable peice of history indeed and race it if a class exists.
I was told that the boat ran 70mph + back in the day. This Saterday I`ll be testing and tuning to see.
Feel free to browse about the directory for other cool cars/boats I own.
Use the next icon to the right for more pics of the boat.
Notice in the background the 76 Sleekcraft daycruiser (being restored this winter), 94 Fantasy F-13 (for sale), and 82 Baja 190 (460 jet boat being restored at present) I own as well.

http://megafilehosting.com/TheEbayKing/bajaraceboat/ (http://megafilehosting.com/TheEbayKing/bajaraceboat/)http://megafilehosting.com/theebayking/bajaraceboat/IMG_4116.JPG

Raceman
09-21-2005, 07:21 AM
I'm not familiar with THAT boat, but the control up on the side in that position and the side by side seating seem to suggest recreational use. It was common back then to use a control box to choke/start/shift the engine with a foot throttle also, but I'd say if there are no signs that a foot throttle was there serious race history is doubtful. There was in fact a class that required a passenger in the boat also, but if I remember most of em were set up with the rider behind the driver.

Of course there's also the possibility that the use was changed and it was converted to pleasure use later. The engine appears to be a 73 model if the stickers/cowl are original. Is it shortshaft? If the engine was original to that boat shooting a picture from the rear showing the transom height might give some insight also.

Raceman
09-21-2005, 02:05 PM
I think the only year I ever saw that class run was in 75 in Miami. I don't know why I was thinkin' the passenger sat tandem, but I'm sure you're probably right. I didn't remember the longshaft engines being required either. I guess I was thinkin' it was basically a JP boat with a seat added in the rear. It took a lotta nerve to get in a raceboat that size with somebody else drivin'.:eek:

By the way, I'm still drawin' a blank on the 1350/1250 Super BP external block differences. I've looked at both, but they're 35 miles apart and nothing is reaching out and yellin' at me not seein' em side by side.

Sagabu
09-21-2005, 02:39 PM
Thanx for the replies.

It does have a foot pedal that I would bet was original and is a long shaft 73 1500 Merc. Both driver and pass sides have cut out wires that attatch to the riders in case of ejection.

There are no signs that a rear seat ever existed.
I have been researching Fred Miller and it looks as if he was a well respected man in the field indeed. I was told by the fella I got the boat from (traded my 79 Galaxy 17' for it) that there were several other boats in the hangar including other race boats as well that sold at the estate auction.
I`m presently working on registering and titling the boat as the VIN is short one number (month produced) . It was first titled to Fred on 7/6/73 .
The original title remained in Freds name until present.

Any info is golden indeed as I concider the boat a relic and a blast from the past.
More pics at www.megafilehosting.com/theebayking/bajaraceboat/ (http://www.megafilehosting.com/theebayking/bajaraceboat/)

Bruster
09-21-2005, 07:41 PM
By the way, I'm still drawin' a blank on the 1350/1250 Super BP external block differences. I've looked at both, but they're 35 miles apart and nothing is reaching out and yellin' at me not seein' em side by side.

Raceman....
Don't need to drive, just ask,
I think the diff between the 1250 Super BP and the 1350 is the starter bracket on the lower support. The 1250's had a bolt on support and the 1350's were cast in to the block. I had used to some pics somewhere but, well you know about used to :D

Bruster
09-21-2005, 07:45 PM
Thanx for the replies.

It does have a foot pedal that I would bet was original and is a long shaft 73 1500 Merc. Both driver and pass sides have cut out wires that attatch to the riders in case of ejection.

www.megafilehosting.com/theebayking/bajaraceboat/ (http://www.megafilehosting.com/theebayking/bajaraceboat/)

Seems like the '73 is the 1 year motor that used to be choice for racing. Something about the intake porting/transfer port covers. Snap us a picture of the transfer port covers, think I can point this out, if I am rememberin' OK. :eek:

Raceman
09-21-2005, 08:02 PM
Raceman....
Don't need to drive, just ask,
I think the diff between the 1250 Super BP and the 1350 is the starter bracket on the lower support. The 1250's had a bolt on support and the 1350's were cast in to the block. I had used to some pics somewhere but, well you know about used to :D

Bruce, there's another thread about puttin' a 1250 front half on a 1350 block to make it look like a Super BP block, which of course had transfer covers like a 1350. Jim said there's a noticeable difference that'll give the change away, but he wants to have some fun with it before he spills it. SO................ I've been tryin' to figure out what it is, especially since he told me once before and I've obviously forgotten. I think it's under the "can somebody tell me what outboard this is" thread, maybe around the last page.

Sagabu
09-21-2005, 08:35 PM
Seems like the '73 is the 1 year motor that used to be choice for racing. Something about the intake porting/transfer port covers. Snap us a picture of the transfer port covers, think I can point this out, if I am rememberin' OK. :eek:

I`m a newb to the outboards. I generaly play w/jet-boats w/big-blocks.
A few of my friends have 150 Mercs (70 & 77)and I have been picking thier brains for tech and compairing between the years as far as physical differences.
A trick exauhst system (three pipes out the hood) that I seen on another sight caught my interest and curiousity so I examined the plate that covers the ports on the left side of my engine to asses the mod. Mine was flat and thiers was not (had ribs) .
All of the 115 1150s I have seen also have the ribbed cover. Is that the cover you are refering to ?
What is needed to pull off that cool exaust mod ? Looked like just weld on three flanges and make the pipes w/stainles tips. What size of flange boar is optimal for a stock engine? An awsom looking classic mod and I bet it sounds good.

Raceman
09-21-2005, 09:27 PM
1500 inline 6's were only made from 73 through 77.

As far as the stacks, there's a lot more to it. The inner divider is different as are the outer plates. These were not run on 1500's, but rather 1250's and 1350's in late 60's/early 70's. They are louder than a top fuel car, and also the engines don't have much power down low. I wouldn't even think about doing it to a 1500, but if you're still not convinced, a complete stack set up with all the plates recently went for around 3 thousand on E Bay and had multiple bidders.

Raceman
09-21-2005, 09:32 PM
Here's a pic of a 1250 Super BP with stacks:

http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=67627

Sagabu
09-24-2005, 02:45 AM
Thanx for the info on the stacks. I`ll not be tackling that project.

I have learned more about the boat in the last few days. It is rumored that it was a one off hull desighned/built by Fred in early 73. It was also rumored to run 82mph w/the 1500 on it.:eek:
I found a 24pitch "Clevor" prop for it yesterday. I`ll be running it today if the water is smooth enough and the wind speeds are low to see what it has .
The engine sounds very healthy on the hose and all seams good to go.
I hope the Keller speedo still works well.
If it does well, I`ll be running it at a local shootout Oct.2nd .

Raceman
09-24-2005, 06:17 AM
Thanx for the info on the stacks. I`ll not be tackling that project.

I have learned more about the boat in the last few days. It is rumored that it was a one off hull desighned/built by Fred in early 73. It was also rumored to run 82mph w/the 1500 on it.:eek:
I hope the Keller speedo still works well.

The J Production record (V bottom, driver only, obviously lighter than JS) up until 1975 or so was 76 MPH. I had a 15 Ally back then with a 1500J motor on it and couldn't get it on the record regardless of how much money I threw at it. This was the kilo record, which was set up to run max speed in a straight line. About that time it did ease on up to about 79 and finally into the 80's. As technology and propellers improved it may've gotten to the 80's, but wouldn't have run anything like that in the 73 to 75 time frame, and very doubtful later without an XS engine and low water pickups.

If the Keller doesn't still work well, somebody around here restores em. I think it's Sam C (Mark75H screenname)

2us70
09-24-2005, 10:38 AM
Looks like an old FS boat to me. All of your descriptions match up with the class requirements. The prop shaft height restrictions made running a long shaft motor possible.

Sagabu
09-24-2005, 12:43 PM
The motor is raised aprox 2" .

What is the difference in the 1500XS? Is there a physical way to idenify it?
I see it listed in my maual as a 6300 rpm monster. :eek:
What prop should I use ?
I`m off to the lake.:D

Bruster
09-24-2005, 07:33 PM

Here is part of where I read this info.....

Wow, what a question, As far as the exhaust tuning on the 70 and 71 they were the same except for the 71's had a divider in the middle. There was also an update kit which gave you a different water manifold and inner exhaust plate which directed the exhaust in different directions. As said the 72 1400 was basically a 1350 with the newer tuned exhaust. The only different engine which wasn't listed was the 73' long shaft 1500 which came with squared exhaust ports and this is the motor which people claim to be stronger than the J block. When we were building SJ and JP engines this was the block of choice. As far as the low dome pistons I believe that was 78. As far as 2 ring pistons of the same era those came from 4 cyl inlines and I believe some of the 3's. As far as the 5 hole reeds and beveled cranks, that came with the 100 cu.in. motors.

.....and more

Pistons, all the piston numbers in 78 or so superceded to low domes. I know this cause when we were building race motors we called Merc and ordered all the old numbers they had. I think when he's looking at the engines he's listed he's looking at non ported numbers only judging by the engines listed.
You are correct the difference between the 1150 and the 1350 in 70 and 71 is the carb filler, and the reed opening. The timing my have been 2 deg different or something and of course the jetting.
When I was talking about the divider in the exhaust I was talking about in the adaptor. 70's had no divider, 71's had a divider which was aluminum which burned of and plugged up the gearcase. You'd always get the complaint of no power. The replacements were stainless. Also the update kit which I spoke of is in the block. The water manifold and the inner exhaust plate. The two pieces directed the exhaust in different directions than stock which made more power. You could look at the exhaust passages and they had little deflectors on them
As far as the 73 1500 long this is no guess, The long shaft's had square exhaust ports. They looked like triple drilled. Like they drilled the port and then did the corners with a smaller mill and squared them. There is no way to tell as far as external marking that I ever new. The only way we new back then what it was, was if you had an original powerhead on a 73 long and the exhaust cover was smooth with no ribs like a 1400. This was a factory piece and could be used in stock classes. We were told this was to create more power on longs because they would end up on bigger boat applications

Noah1
09-24-2005, 10:45 PM
I ran a Venture (150 Merc) in FS class. The boat & motor were supose to be stock except the props. I ran hotter plugs & advance the timing to try to get everything I could out of the stock motor. I had a louvre cowling on my 150. 6 gallons of premium & 2 cans of merc oil was good for 45 minutes
You had to have a passenger with you.

OLEGATOR you said But I Just Jumped Into Someones Boat, That Had Been Running That Class, Just As A One Time Deal Was this by any chance at Slayton MN??? & did you drive a purple Duster or cuda?????
At this race my passenger was out screwing around in his boat & it was time to race I ask a guy to get in my boat. Maybe it was you???????

Thanks JIMMMMMMMM

Raceman
09-26-2005, 12:55 PM
The motor is raised aprox 2" .

What is the difference in the 1500XS? Is there a physical way to idenify it?
I see it listed in my maual as a 6300 rpm monster. :eek:
What prop should I use ?
I`m off to the lake.:D

The 1500XS was made in 76 through 78. They were shortshaft engines with red cowl stickers, louvered cowls, and low water pickups on the gearcase. They were very similar to the shortshaft J engine of 75 except for the stickers and low water pickups, both of which had the J powerhead, rated at five more horsepower than the std 20" 1500. Some people have said that the J powerhead was released in 74 on the shortshaft engine, but that contradicts my memory from then, so I'm not sure. The actual performance difference between the J and production powerheads was only significant on the lightest/fastest hulls.

Sagabu
09-26-2005, 10:46 PM
Thanx for the info .

Rain and wind put a woe to my test run on Saterday. I`ll be hitting the lake on Tueday if the weather permits.

If she does 60, I`ll be happy. For now.:eek:

Sagabu
10-02-2005, 10:27 PM
It is actualy a dual rack system. The right cabel was frozen and I had to order a replacement.

I have been running the boat almost daily now. It`s a blast from the past.
I have topped it out at 65mph at a comfortable 5500rpm thus far w/the 24p Cleaver and it feels soooo stable.
Will be trying a 26p Cleaver later this week.
I still need prop advice. I know little about them .
It takes some serious rpms to get it on plane, but when it hooks it hooks hard and pulls straight to top speed.

I have met a few that recognised the boat right off.
I have confirmed that the hull is a Fred Miller design one off built in November of 72 making it super rare and w/ a story.
It has been tucked away since the late 70s in a Baja storage hangar.
The history is well on its way to being documented the best I can from the ones that new Fred localy and of the boat that was concidered one of his babies (metafor).
The boat was raced and I am digging further into that history.
I see it is tough for them to speak of it, but at the same time they smile and say "I never thought I would see that boat on the water again".
Mabe it may serve as closure ?
The little Baja is indeed a one of a kind and caries a spirit about it that I can not explain.
I have other fast boats , but none w/the charcture this one has.

cooperider
10-24-2005, 09:23 PM
Fred Miller was my next door neighbor when I grew up, he was forever showing me stuff he bought. We tried for hours to learn how to fly his radio controled helocopter. The first time I had ever been in a boat factory, was on a weekend when he needed a battery charger to get his Corvette running. I was amazed at all the stuff in that factory, he gave me a quick tour of the place, he even showed me their new computer. This was back in the 80's when that was a big deal. I have plowed his driveway and he has plowed mine, we had a bunch of snow back then. I had just talked to him just before he died. I was out of town when my mom called and said what happened. They were still putting him in the ambulance. She misses having him as a neighbor. He was friendly and generous, they liked to talk about their yards, thier flowers, thier trees, and even what I had been up to lately.
I was out of town again when the estate sale was held, or that boat would have been mine. Especially for what I heard it went for. I am glad that someone owns it, that enjoys, that it is a piece of boating history.
Just though I would share something about the guy who owned your boat.
If you decide to get rid of it look me up.

Sagabu
10-25-2005, 12:44 AM
Thank you for sharing the story w/me.

I have had serveral that have told me that they had no idea the boat was to go to auction. If they had, they would have bid on it as well.
It seems to have its own special ora out on the lake. Some have recognised it on the lake and addressed it as Freddy`s boat.
One fella stated "I thought I would never see that boat on the water again". He was actually glad and it seemed as if it was a form of closure talking about it and Fred.
I promise to take the best care of the vessle and leave it primarily as it is w/the exeption of rebuilding the engine (compression loss on # 1) , saving the top coat, rebuilding the Keller speedo, restoring the seats, and new cables.
I`ll not be the first to drill a single hole.

Any other stories would be great.
Sometimes when I`m out in the boat or even just working on it, I feel like I`m being watched/coached along.
The boat is priceless to this ole hot-rodder, like finding an old Gasser from the 60`s in a barn that has a history.
If I ever decide to part w/the one off boat, I`ll make sure that it goes to someone that knows its history and will keep it local.

cooperider
10-25-2005, 03:08 AM
Hey, do you still have the F-13 for sale? If so how much? PM me.

gordon downard
11-14-2005, 12:24 PM
this old baja was a family "j" class boat. they were raced in apba in that era. just a driver, no passenger, the other seat was to accomodate the rules of "family class". (my father was on the opc boat tech commitee) i knew fred miller, being from bucyrus, and being one of the original checkmate crew, i am familiar with this boat and that era. one person who would know the specific history of that particular boat is doug smith, past owner of baja boats, he should still be living in the bucyrus area fred did race that boat, i remember him competing with mike combs, combs driving a fj checkmate. that class did run in the 70's.

SCT
11-14-2005, 12:41 PM

Sagabu
11-29-2005, 07:51 PM
Wow, the info keeps coming. I have a few times concidered contacting Doug Smith about the boat and a short walk down memory lane as to it`s past racing history. I am hoping that he may have some litterature, photos, or some type of documentation related to the history of the boat and the man that designed, built, and raced it.

My plan has been to gather what I can.

Thanx for the info, it is golden too me.
I will contact Doug in the future as recomended by many who new Fred and of the boat somewhat.
It is definately a peice of history I plan to keep care of.
The engine is in the proccess of being rebuilt (low compression on #1) and the only other things I plan to replace is the rusted horn button and have the Keller speedo rebuilt.
Thanx to Cooperider for giving me an original still in the box (N.O.S.) horn button that actually came from Baja in the era the boat was made. It even has sute on the box from the fire. It is a perfect/correct fit.
I have decided to leave the top coat as it is. The rest of the boat is near perfect/original.
No aditives/deletions for this Hot-Rod Boat w/exception of a prop collection.
Top speed of 67mph w/1 passenger on GPS w/a 26 pitch Cleavor trimmed out, and low compresion on one cyl.
It went 72mph :eek: w/just me (190lbs), but handeled much better w/the passenger. It has a very heavy lean w/just me. It levels out nicely w/the extra person equal in weight.
It takes a little goosing to get it on plane, but once it does, it flies and handels rough water very well skipping right over the wake like it does not exsist.
Of the five times I have had it on the lake, I have tangled w/bass and jet boats mainly. It hasent been beat yet. i`m sure that someone will give that good run next year, but they won`t look as cool doing it.
Can`t wait till next season.:cool:
B.King

MN4V
05-17-2009, 08:54 PM
Is this your boat in the middle? 1973 race in Indiana.
Mark N
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm315/MN392/FJClass1973.jpg