PDA

View Full Version : XM, suck or not?

mr fun
09-17-2005, 08:42 PM
just bought this adelphia cigerette pack sized gizmo supposed to give me the world. plus setup fee, n monthly dues. no prob wit dat, does it really7 perform? is adelphia a 2 nd party moocher type seller of XM programming that i'm not getting my full bang from? i thought i got anything from bluegrass to talk, not so say the programming listed on the box, do i need to change before activation????????????????????? fun out :rolleyes:

Bruster
09-18-2005, 12:34 AM
Adelphia is primialy a internet provider, looks like they serve up some music, 20 channels or something like that. I suppose if you use them as a ISP and this is free, well OK. Otherwise XM and Sirius have about 150 music, sports and news channels for about $13/ month. :D

Satellite radio: If you don't have it today, you will tomorrow. :D

http://www.xmradio.com/

http://sirius.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Sirius/CachedPage&c=Page&cid=1018209032790

mr fun
09-18-2005, 05:43 AM
thanks, i'm gonna reasearch it somemore before i activate it, seemed like a good deal, 49 $ w/ 30$ rebate cupon. 29$ activation, 12$ mo. fun out

Rickracer
09-18-2005, 08:08 AM
I can't really say why, or whether one provider is better than another. :cool:

VectorPat
09-18-2005, 09:14 AM
I have had XM for over a year and love it. If your are on the road alot you will never go back.

Euroski
09-18-2005, 11:50 AM
AM, FM, CD's... what are them! I have had XM also for over a year and seldom listen to anything else.

1BadAction
09-18-2005, 12:10 PM
Sirius... a few bucks per month cheaper, better programming, and its not owned by clear channel. I have XM temporarly in my Truck, and it doesnt touch sirius in the programming area (for my type of music, anyhow). I have sirius through my TV provider, and as soon as XM trial runs out in my truck, I am buying the converter box so i can use the factory XM with Sirius. XM is better by farrrrr than regular radio. Imo.

JJB
09-18-2005, 10:28 PM
Fun,
I just activated XM last week and it seems the big difference between Sirius and XM is that Sirius has NFL and Howard Stern while XM has MLB and Hockey…at least that’s the selling point the sales people were making. Anyway you go they both have excellent sound quality. Either one is better than AM/FM.

JJB

Fish
09-19-2005, 05:17 AM
Does anyone have a good multi-use suggestion? I am thinking something I can use in house, car, boat.. and not have to buy three subscriptions or three devices. I have seen boomboxes that have a sort of face plate thing, is there a way to move one unit between several places and get sat radio?

thanks,

fish

Bruster
09-19-2005, 05:27 AM
...... Sirius... a few bucks per month cheaper, better programming, and its not owned by clear channel. Imo.

Both services are basicly the same price per month now and XM is not owned by Clear Channel, Clear channel is not even a major stockholder. GM is a major stockholder, however.

Sam Baker
09-19-2005, 05:59 AM
I have both Sirius and XM. Sirius' music choices are better. If my Honda Accord didn't have XM built in, I wouldn't have XM at all - I would only have Sirius.

In my Isuzu Rodeo, I have the mobile docking station which I could use in my truck or I can take it out and put it in my boat, etc. It has a magnetic antenna and a suction cup that holds the docking station in place. I doubt I'll ever use it in my boat, but I could if I wanted to take it out pretty easily.

So that's how you can do it. Also, it's not as much for subscriptions on other devices - $5/month I think.

pengilly
09-19-2005, 06:33 AM
I have XM for about a year. I canceled it last week. Its programming music wise sucks bad and they have mucho complaints about it. Thats if you like rock anyways. Getting set up with sirius today

Outlaw Too
09-20-2005, 07:43 PM
I have had sirus for about a year now and love it. Stern is coming so it only can get better. I bought a Denali for my wife and it comes with XM and I have been it the truck enough to say it sucks!

pengilly
09-22-2005, 06:43 PM
Got my sirius now......never had it this good. ill never buy another CD dont need um any more.
XM SUCKS BAD IF YOU LIKE ROCK MUSIC.....PERIOD

Scream And Fly
09-22-2005, 06:52 PM
I've had my XM receiver sitting here in the box for months. I figure I'll install it for my next long trip, so we'll see.

ShorePounder
09-23-2005, 02:42 PM
You'll dig "The Boneyard" ch41 on XM Greg, they play quite a bit of Dream Theater, as well as stuff that hasn't seen airplay in ages and good stuff that never made it to radio.

chynewalkr
09-23-2005, 03:28 PM
I cant help but think that satellite radio benifits will slowly erode over time, and in a few years they will be playing the same crappy songs over and over with a ton of commercials just like radio now.

Every company is now finding ways to make what was once one time purchases, into subscription services.

The Big Al
09-23-2005, 03:37 PM
I have had XM for over 4 years, had it within the first 4 months of it coming on. I really like it. And some like the other and understand why. I currently have 5 systems. 4 cars and the boat. It's great in the boat, never had a problem with listing. Me and the wife took a long trip to Bass Pro in Springfield MO. We listened to the old radio shows, man they really knew how to keep people on the edge of the seat. NASCAR channel is good also. But the other guys will have NASCAR next year and have NFL football now.
My daughter wants to change to the other because they have a Elvis channel,
XM does not.

And you can buy Alpine systems that do both. (but not at the same time)

Just look at the lineup and decide. But Siruis does have dead zones. XM does not!

Al

The Big Al
09-23-2005, 03:41 PM
I cant help but think that satellite radio benifits will slowly erode over time, and in a few years they will be playing the same crappy songs over and over with a ton of commercials just like radio now.

Every company is now finding ways to make what was once one time purchases, into subscription services.

I guess you still have a typewriter and a BETA video recorder, a turn dial phone.
And I'm sure you have a color TV by now! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_19_2.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZRxdm075YYUS)
I also guess you still have a IBM pc that has 500mb hard drive!!!!!

rocket1
09-23-2005, 04:10 PM
I like my XM, if you do not like what they play on regular radio you will like XM. Great coverage on any trip from michigan all through the south, I never ran through any dead zones. I have the sky fi radio with mobile docking kits in the car truck home and the boat, so I only have one XM radio unit. I have had the same unit and docking stystems going on four years now never had any problems. My only warning is if you like what you hear on regular radio do not buy XM, you will probably not be happy. BUt if you like variety of music, talk etc... it will be worth the investment. Lots of channels to listen to!

chynewalkr
09-23-2005, 04:41 PM
I guess you still have a typewriter and a BETA video recorder, a turn dial phone.
And I'm sure you have a color TV by now! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_19_2.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZRxdm075YYUS)
I also guess you still have a IBM pc that has 500mb hard drive!!!!!

nope i dont have a typewriter or beta or turn dial or any of that old stuff. I dont have cable, i have in the past, and I didnt really find it worth the 50bucks a month. if i could choose channels ala carte, like speed, espn, ....i would consider it, but i dont want to be forced paying for BET, LIFETIME, MTV or any other channel Ill never watch, I dont even know why they have BET in my area since the population is predominently white, probably some left wing government mandate.

to each his own.. I guess.

The Big Al
09-23-2005, 05:01 PM
nope i dont have a typewriter or beta or turn dial or any of that old stuff. I dont have cable, i have in the past, and I didnt really find it worth the 50bucks a month. if i could choose channels ala carte, like speed, espn, ....i would consider it, but i dont want to be forced paying for BET, LIFETIME, MTV or any other channel Ill never watch, I dont even know why they have BET in my area since the population is predominently white, probably some left wing government mandate.

to each his own.. I guess.

Ok Archie!!!! Got it! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/22/22_1_17.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZRxdm075YYUS)

chynewalkr
09-23-2005, 05:08 PM
:) Im 26 :) :)

The Big Al
09-23-2005, 05:20 PM
:) Im 26 :) :)

That explains the Evinrude!!! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/359.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZRxdm075YYUS)

2.5-21
09-23-2005, 08:21 PM
if you have xm check out 202 opie and anthony they were howerds rival here in new york till they got fired for pushing the limit. now on xm there is no limit to push so they arent that good so you can see where howard is going its good listening as long as they are pushing limits.I got xm for the fact serious has some dead spots

Cp
09-23-2005, 10:18 PM
You'll dig "The Boneyard" ch41 on XM Greg, they play quite a bit of Dream Theater.

Try 51, Musiclab, if you're into this stuff too. Lot's of neat stuff.

175checkmate
09-24-2005, 09:36 AM
I have Xm in both cars. Love it. The boneyard is where the unit stays locked.
Its kind of like when they came out with cable T.V over the antenna. People went to cable and never looked back.

mr fun
09-25-2005, 08:08 AM
thanks for all the great feedback! one clarification, it's a unit by delphi. says it's for any vehicle no cassette player required. truckstops are full of electronics gizmos these days, i got this deal at a petro 49$ w/30$ rebate, guess i'll go ahead and bite, the dead zones sound like a bummer, so xm it is. we've got an i pod that i understand you can get a little transmitter and play through a car-boat stereo also, thats next. happy trails, fun out :)

EJP71
09-26-2005, 08:37 AM
Fun you'll love having it in the truck with you and once you find the station you like you won't have to change it all. I have them on the tug and if it wasn't for that we would have to resort to carrying CD's to and from work which with how things go at the airport these days we carry as little as possible. I have both Sirius and XM and I do have a preference over one of them but both have their pluses and minuses. It used to be that XM was cheaper but since April they upped their price to the same as Sirius. As far as the unit you have goes it sounds like you have the one that has a built in FM modulator that will allow it to be played through any FM radio (possibly several in close proximity) once the radio is tuned to the same frequency that your XM unit is set to transmit on. Give me a call when you get a chance. I'll be home another two weeks....E

at100plus
12-30-2005, 11:17 PM
I just got the Sirius Starmate 2. Got a smokin deal at Radio Shack. The Starmate2 with car and home kit for $79 after rebate. It's normally $129 without the home kit.

I'm glad I went with Sirius over XM cause the 80s stuff, (Hair Nation Rules!) seems better, and I like most of the pop and rock stations. I wanted music over sports, and prefer Howard over Opie and Anthony.

I listen at work online all the time now.

My favorite feature is the Artist or Song alert. When you hear your favorite songs or artists, you simply hit the memory button. It stores it. Later, anytime that artist or song comes on any channel, it beeps to alert you. You hit the enter button and it takes you right to it. You don't even miss the beginning of the song!!!!

My only beef right now is apparently this Starmate2 is new and I can't find a place to buy additional car kits.

JJB
12-31-2005, 06:58 PM
Either way both have pros and cons, I went with XM and am very pleased with the service. One thing I was glad I did was to put in-dash units (Pioneer 4600deh xm ready with wireless remote) in both my Jeep and boat, it might cost more by having two subscriptions but it looks a lot nicer having a clean install with just a head unit showing.

JJB

150aintenuff
01-01-2006, 04:44 AM
Does anyone have a good multi-use suggestion? I am thinking something I can use in house, car, boat.. and not have to buy three subscriptions or three devices. I have seen boomboxes that have a sort of face plate thing, is there a way to move one unit between several places and get sat radio?

thanks,

fish

XM ROADY 2... with magnetic antena... totally portable... works with any radio or headphones... and for 49 bucks you can get a adapter to make it in to a walkman..... had it for 6 months and love it......use it in 3 cars, 2 boats, and at home when the serius on dish is messed up

not to mension it is only 29.88 at walmart.... and comes with everythin to hook up to yer car by way of fm modulator(built in thus the portability), rca's or casette adapter...

Bruster
01-01-2006, 08:32 AM
CRSR-10 Sirius and you won't have to suffer with XM :D

http://shop.sirius.com/

pengilly
01-02-2006, 09:32 PM
what kind of music do you listen to?? that is the question of the year here. If you like classic rock in varing degrees all the way to headbanger. Sirius, If one half ass rock station is good enough....XM . I had XM for almost a year and their live DJ shows were bombarded with calls that the programing sucks. I dropped them, went to sirius, never had it this good. but I like lots of different Rock.