PDA

View Full Version : New ETEC 150?

JW
08-14-2005, 07:59 AM
Wife's new tow-pig Four Winns Freedom 180 came with a 150 carb Johnson. While it's still new and under full warranty, I asked the dealer to give me a trade up price difference for the new ETEC 150.

I realize I got a smoking deal on the package partly because of the close-out carb Johnson. How much should I pay to go up to an ETEC before it's not economicaly viable? We use the boat 2-3 times a week for 4-5 months a year, which is approx 60 hours a year. With regular gas at $2.50 a gallon, I'm wonder how long it will take for the ETEC to pay for itself? Not just in gas savings, but in resale value also. Anyone have any idea? :confused:

Greg Moss
08-14-2005, 09:48 AM
If you look at it as gas savings I figure the 150 burns 15 gallons a hour skiing. If the E-Tec can ruin the same amout at say 10 gallons per hour,60 hours a year is $750 a year saving in just gas alone. I got a freind that has one on a bass boat a loves it. He has the 225HO. that motor starts the first spark plug to have fire. Every time. No other motor made starts that fast. I mean first plug when you hit the key fires and the thing is running. Carbs sometimes have the habit of needing to grind on the starter every once in a while. Those E-Tecs are bad ass. 3-4 years you would pay the difference in gas saving. And come 5 years down the road being able to sell a carb motor might not be an easy task. By then gas should be $5 a gallon.

H2OPERF
08-14-2005, 09:55 PM
Can u get one right now.I was just talking to the rep about a pair of the 60 deg 200s and he was talkin like not avail until nov/dec,i didnt ask about the 150s.The 60deg E-Tecs are reallynice motors at just over 400 lbs dont think any 4 strokes are gonna match that.Dave

JW
08-15-2005, 06:27 AM
Going to call him today. My dealer is a guy that is a little slow on doing things, so I have to keep prodding him. A really nice guy, worth buying from, but not the quickest.

Greg Moss
08-15-2005, 08:31 AM
My friend is an Evinrude dealer and what he says is the problem with delivery dates is the boat builders are buying so many E-Tecs that Evinrude is having a hard time keeping up with production. Unfortunatly the boat builders get motors before the loose motor dealers. I asked him about the 200 with the power valves and he came up with the Nov/Dec story too,so it must be true. I belive he has some 150s in stock.

JW
08-15-2005, 09:19 AM
Boat is only rated for 175. That gives me hope my local dealer can get one, thanks Greg!

MX-14
08-15-2005, 10:02 AM
Don't forget the oil savings. I can not believe how much oil my Etec uses. I drive it hard and haven't even gone through one tank of oil yet. I have about 25 hours on it and a 1.8 gallon oil tank with a 225.

JW
08-17-2005, 07:04 AM
Boss is at a dealer meeting, so when he gets back hopefully he'll have pricing for me.

JW
09-04-2005, 08:13 AM
He can't even GET a JohnnyRude motor this year! He's a 'package' boat dealer. His motor source dried up! He sells Lowe fishing boats, and they all came with JohnnyRude motors. Well, seems that Brunswick has purchased a few more boat manufacturers, so guess what? My local JohnyRude dealer is now a Mercury dealer!

Now what should I do? Since my wife's tow pig is rigged with a johnyrude, I'd like to stick with that brand for simplicity rather than change everything out for a different brand. If the boat was un-rigged, I'd consider any brand.

Time to start shopping boat dealers I guess. Any dealers out there want to float me an offer to trade a new 2002 25" 150 carb 2.6 BRP Johnson for a 150 ETEC plus $$?

150aintenuff
12-11-2005, 02:37 AM
im sure an dealer with the instock availability and enough $$$$ out of yer pocket will do business with ya.. expect to take a major hit on the trade value of the 150 though... better off sellin it yerself..

JW
12-11-2005, 08:29 AM
:D

After putting about 15 hours on this Carb 2.6 I'm really impressed. This motor is so much quieter and smoother at speed than my Mercs have been I'm not looking to trade for an ETEC anymore. No way the difference in cash between my carb 150 and a new ETEC will pay for the fuel cost difference.
This is one nice motor!

150aintenuff
12-29-2005, 02:06 AM
for the record my merc has over 3000 hrs and it starts EVERY time on the first plug.. just have to keep them tuned up and adjusted... you will like that carb motor ESPECIALLY when you go to fix it and it takes either a small carb adjust or minor tweek and its fixed.... gotta love 1800's technology... KISS BABY...