PDA

View Full Version : The Mighty T4!

1BadAction
08-11-2005, 09:16 AM
I need some Pics of the T4. Both sides front and rear. Raceman, I'm lookin in your direction ;)...

thanks guys

LakeRacer99
08-11-2005, 11:54 AM
I'll trade ya for a larger pic of your avatar...

I think this is Racemans home decore...

1BadAction
08-11-2005, 12:57 PM
that can be arranged...

im looking for pics of the later model style that is similar to a bridgeport stripe.

LakeRacer99
08-11-2005, 01:54 PM
picky, picky... :rolleyes:

like this?

1BadAction
08-11-2005, 01:57 PM
yeah exactly... now if I can find pics of the other angles i'll be set.

LakeRacer99
08-11-2005, 02:06 PM
OK, that is all I have. 'cept for a couple powerhead shots.

Now, you are gonna have to spill the beans as to what you are working on, you know?

Raceman
08-11-2005, 03:08 PM
The picture that LR posted is from the Merc brochure. I don't have any actual pictures with those stickers, but may have a cowl with those on it. I'll have to check, but it'll be next week.

1BadAction
08-11-2005, 04:12 PM
RM- other than the stickers, i assume the motors are the same?

Raceman
08-14-2005, 04:26 AM
I'm not real sure about the being the same part. According to Gene Trichel (spelling?) who was at Merc High Perf at the time and involved in the T4 project, there was a larger displacement version also. I think he said in the 3.9 Liter range, but it's been about 10 years since the conversation. I've got notes somewhere. He said it was done with the bore only, and the stroke was the same. Since the project continued for several years I'm sure there was at least some evolution. Every real T4 powerhead that I've ever seen had the smaller V6 (2, 2.4, 2.5 liter) style alum flywheel and starter, as opposed to the much larger diameter flywheel and large automotive (Ford) starter that the production and high perf style 3.4's had.

I have pics from 1978 (with dates) showing them in the pits at St. Louis. That was the only time I ever saw em run, and the stickers were older and more like the other Mercs of that time. I can't remember if there were 2 or 3 there, but was told that at that time there was only one other complete engine. I've also heard claims that there were only 8 total, but I think there were more than that, considering that the Texoma boat had 3 itself, and Mertons had one, plus the factory team boats.

I've seen at least 3 different sticker designs on the T4 and 2 different mid section styles, although the differences in the mids were very slight.

1BadAction
08-14-2005, 03:17 PM
Now, you are gonna have to spill the beans as to what you are working on, you know?

not 100% sure how I will work it, but I am going to do a clone of a T4, with the xri cowling, but mark it XRi 2.5 EFI instead of T4 efi 3.4... Kind of like retro style with the sharp edge 1994 1-piece cowl. after I get a short mid on it, the cowl size/mid ratio will definately have a t4ish look to it.

thanks for the info RM- I wish I could have been there, but It would have been kind of useless seeing how the T4 project is 4 years older than I am. LOL

LakeRacer99
08-15-2005, 10:48 AM
not 100% sure how I will work it, but I am going to do a clone of a T4, with the xri cowling, but mark it XRi 2.5 EFI instead of T4 efi 3.4... Kind of like retro style with the sharp edge 1994 1-piece cowl. after I get a short mid on it, the cowl size/mid ratio will definately have a t4ish look to it.

thanks for the info RM- I wish I could have been there, but It would have been kind of useless seeing how the T4 project is 4 years older than I am. LOL

Sounds cool...post some pics as it progresses. Oh, the T4 project is 4 years younger than me! :D

1BadAction
08-15-2005, 04:09 PM
Sounds cool...post some pics as it progresses. Oh, the T4 project is 4 years younger than me! :D

well, its not really progressing... its tough to jack the decal around to fit the XRI cowl correctly, but still look like the T4. I'll post some pics tonight. I will print the fullsize sheets out in autocad at 1:1 scale so the printing shop gets them exact, and if anyone else wants them I might be able to save a few bucks.

the whole reason I wanted to do this- I love the old school clamshell cowls, especially the BP and T4 high perf motors, but neither cowl has the sound i like (cant stand the intake howl) the BP is too tight for my motor setup, and the t4 is huge and basically non-existant. SO I decided to "clone" one with my clamshell look-alike. I think it will look sweet. :cool: