PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone identify this boat ??

Old fiberglass
07-29-2005, 10:39 PM
Took a wrong turn today and stumbled on this boat. Just curious as to what make of boat it is or was. The cockpit and top cowl piece are fiberglass. The rest is all wood.

Sorry for the poor pictures they were taken with a friends camera phone.

MN4V
07-30-2005, 05:02 AM
Could be an old Seebold Sport J boat. The cowlings are the same or copies, the transom setback looks to be right for the time period. Looks like the transom has been cut down too. But I don't see any hole in the transom for the trim cyl.
Mark N

Raceman
07-30-2005, 07:01 AM
It does look like a Seebold from the 70's, but not sure about the class. The cowling looks too tall for one of the short V6's and even the T2X would've had a hole through the transom for the trim cyl. I hope it's not just sittin' out like that with the deck off. If so it won't take long before it's firewood.

outboard bob
07-30-2005, 09:08 AM
Transom looks replaced or repaired. Early Merc V6 boat I would say 1978-1979

Old fiberglass
07-30-2005, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the replies. It appears like it has been sitting for a while. The lot the boat is sitting in is for sale. Somehow I don't think the owner is going to take it with him except maybe to the dump.

The cowling looked like it was very tall to me more along the lines of an inline six. Could be wrong though. The transom as Bob mentioned looks to have had some rough repairs. If I can get close to it is there anything to look for to help identify it ?? Do Seebolds have any unique features to look for ??

spn#43
07-30-2005, 10:21 AM
That's a Seebold definitely, post pictures on www.******************** somebody there knows history on the boat I’m sure.

Old fiberglass
07-30-2005, 10:35 AM
I'm not really interested in the boat myself, but is it worth trying to save ?? I think it's sitting on Death Row right now.

MN4V
07-30-2005, 12:19 PM
If I saw it in person I could tell if Bebe built the boat. But here are some things to look for. Some or all have been copied by other builders though. This time period of boat would have a v in the tunnel area under the transom only and extend forward. It would be around 1" to 1.5" deep at the center. The v would be in an arc too ( not flat like on an V bottom boat). Sport J boats had 12" of transom setback. Another is on the Obeche stringers, they will be cut with a cove between ribs to reduce weight. Bebe uses stainless nails on the deck and aluminum screws on most other plywood.
(Look for washer head screws that attach the strong backs to the tunnel bottom stringer) This may be a good one to look for to tell if it's a Seebold Boat.
Also, if it doesnt have Obeche for the solid wood it's not a Seebold!
Mark N

Old fiberglass
07-30-2005, 05:16 PM
Went by there again today and talked to the owner of the lot. The story goes the owner is a guy who worked, (pass tense) for him and plans to restore the boat. I have heard stories like that numerous times before with cars and usually they sit there until they turn into a POS and know one wants them. Anyway I got some loose contact info and I'm working on it.

The boat certainly isn't pretty, but appears to be solid. The stringers and such seem to be in good shape. Keep in mind it's sitting Phoenix not in a damp cilmate back east. Overall it kind of suprised me. In the transom area some not so bright person did a little remodeling in a bad way. Not a weekend project, but I think this boat could be saved. The hulls need to be reskinned.

Old fiberglass
07-30-2005, 05:21 PM
More pictures.

The lettering above the number 1 I can't make out.

Old fiberglass
07-30-2005, 05:27 PM
The small stringers running fore and aft between the bulkheads are radius-ed at approx 45 degree angle on the sides. Don't know if folks can see it in the picture or not.

beko21
07-30-2005, 05:35 PM
First word starts with L but the last word is daddy, guess my eyesight is not that bad after all.

MN4V
07-30-2005, 09:05 PM
The hull seems to be a Seebold but not so sure the cowlings are from the same time period as the boat.
Ron Lamb broke out the transom of his Seebold Sport J at St. Louis one year.
I don't know if he had it fixed or sold it. But it was very similar to this boat.
Rons boat was silver and maroon color. His APBA boat number was 13!
Is it worth fixing! How much time ya got on your hands? Looks like alot of work!
Mark N

MN4V
09-07-2005, 01:05 PM
He are two photos of Ron Lambs boat after the blow over at St. Louis

slowverado
07-10-2008, 01:38 AM
sorry to bring up a very old thread, but was the Lamb boat blown over in 84 or 82...

MN4V
07-10-2008, 07:57 PM
My slides above show 1984 but he may have blown over before. I'll ask Tony Sitar about it. He owned and modified the motor that Ron used.
Mark N

slowverado
07-10-2008, 08:22 PM
For some reason that silver/maroon boat reminds me of the one Joe Burgess was in when he was killed.

MN4V
07-11-2008, 06:18 PM
I was at St Louis when that happened and was taking photos but I drew the line at taking photos of someone being pulled in on the stretcher with CPR going to the ambulance.
A sad day for sure.
I think Joes boats were orange weren't they? For the Big Orange Marine.
Mark N

slowverado
07-11-2008, 10:59 PM
well, he was actually racing for Laser at the time of his death driving their Mod VP entry, he died in a tunnel boat blow over between turns 4 and 1 on the front stretch, just leaving the dock. He was testing someone's tunnel boat for them and I believe the throttle or trim hung and took him over.