Powercat
07-14-2005, 05:33 PM
I think this photo was in a recent issue of Hot Boat magazine
1963 OMC v8 .. the hard way!! And its on a Power Cat of
course...
Danny Leger

Raceman
07-14-2005, 10:57 PM
Maybe that guy should've wasted less time on his engine, and spent more of it on his setup. Looks like that transom height needs to come up about a foot.

Dave S
07-18-2005, 06:40 PM
I have a old power boat mag from 1969 that have a V8 on a X115 lower unit. They musta been trying to biuld a tower of power. ;) Race Man, how about the car behind the boat??? ;)

Raceman
07-18-2005, 08:56 PM
Whatcha' think? 55 Nomad?????????

Mark75H
07-18-2005, 09:21 PM
I don't think so ... isn't the back of a Nomad more square? ... I think that's a Caprice or Buick

Dave S
07-18-2005, 10:28 PM
I was thinking a pontiac 2 door , same as nomad. By the trim, but I could be wrong.

outboard bob
07-19-2005, 04:41 AM
It's a ford.

Dave S
07-19-2005, 08:26 PM
Bob it is not a ford... I was there and the car behind the pontitac is a ford. :p The V8 ran good but got smacked by a Merc things have not changed. :rolleyes: Feeling real old. :( Dave S.

Mark75H
07-19-2005, 08:35 PM
Bob it is not a ford... I was there and the car behind the pontitac is a ford. :p The V8 ran good but got smacked by a Merc things have not changed. :rolleyes: Feeling real old. :( Dave S.Dang, you really are old. :eek:

2us70
07-20-2005, 11:50 AM
Somebody down here in South Florida built one of those bolt together V8s way back in the early 60s. It may have been on a G3 in one or two races like the Gold Coast Marathon. It seems to me that it didn't run very well or last long either. Back then there were all kinds of things being tried and some of them were truly strange. Most of us were so busy with our own stuff that we took few pictures so much history was lost.

Jay R.
07-20-2005, 12:02 PM
I was wondering if that would work. thought it would be alot of trouble for little gain! very cool to see it together though!

T2x
07-20-2005, 03:51 PM
Somebody down here in South Florida built one of those bolt together V8s way back in the early 60s. It may have been on a G3 in one or two races like the Gold Coast Marathon. It seems to me that it didn't run very well or last long either. Back then there were all kinds of things being tried and some of them were truly strange. Most of us were so busy with our own stuff that we took few pictures so much history was lost.

A bolt up bucket of bolts Evinrude V8....on a G-3...... in the Gold Coast marathon!!!!!

I'm sorry I missed that one........ Let's jump in the imaginary driver's seat.

Launch....very carefully as the water is even with the transom..... now start the engine...... VROOOM

Boat lurches onto plane....and leans to the left from prop torque and the overly high c/g........

We accelerate....and the loping begins..... bow rises...(with the hull still leaning left)..... the steering begins to develop a massive pull...... The more power we apply.... the worse the jumping and twisting becomes..... Finally the race starts and we lose ignition in the top powerhead from the Miss Skyway's rooster tail.....which we couldn't avoid since our arms are now too tired to steer away from anything....... The boat slows and falls off plane in the angry water filled with departing race boat wakes. We take simultaneous washdowns from both sides and over the stern...... Our feet are under water in the cockpit just as the bow begins to rise......signaling the final insult.....We're sinking........

As we float along the Intercoastal beside the almost visible bow of our ungainly craft....we let out a sigh and think:

"Thank God that's over with."

T2x ;)

P.S. I have John Sherlock's restored 1963 G-3 complete and ready to run on a new trailer with a more modest and sensible new era 60 horse Evinrude. It's beautiful....and it's for sale....... Raceman...are you listening?

2us70
07-20-2005, 04:14 PM
Very accurate description of the start of the Gold Coast. It was quite an experience even in a well concieved race boat. Those of us who were able participate/survive a 200 boat mass start will never forget it. I would love to find some film footage of one of those starts. I am glad to say I was in the last one of them.