PDA

View Full Version : 64 Merc 850

mk30h
05-21-2005, 09:00 PM
Here are a few picts of my latest aquistion, a 1964 merc 850. Picked it up and a 69 Merc 1000 for $200 Cdn with controls. Both motors run, althouh I haven't had them in the water yet. :)

The 850 powerhead looks extremely clean- see photos. The lead seals are still intact.

This is a lake engine which looks like it was used just for a few weeks per year. The lower unit is a bit corroded from sitting in the water. Any ideas as to the best method of getting down to the aluminum without much trouble. Have had others glass beaded but wonder if it is really necessary?
What primer would you lads recommend? And how should I apply the enamel, think a Merc spray can would be give sufficent results?
I plan to put this on a 16.5ft Lapstrake made of Cedar - very, very light of the same time period. It too is in mint condition.
Will post a few other picts next week. I can't wait to hear this baby scream, and yes the wrap arounds are in great shape too.

Steve

mk30h
05-21-2005, 09:02 PM
Here is a pict of the lower unit.

Raceman
05-22-2005, 05:11 PM
I've had good luck with those wheels that you put on a die grinder that look like a scotch brite pad. They come in about 2" in diameter and various levels of courseness and take a special arbor that has a real coarse female thread. Some people use em to remove gasket residue also, but I don't know what you call em. They've got enough abrasive to em to partially smooth out some of the corrosion pitting, but don't cut it all to pieces like a sanding disc on an agle grinder would. Only downside is they're somewhat expen$ive to use since they gum up pretty quick with paint and corrosion removal. I finished stripping a Bravo lower with em several years ago after aircraft stripper didn't do a very good job on Merc's factory paint which is tough as hell.

lilabner
05-22-2005, 08:20 PM
What gen starlight scope you using for the pictures? Is the LZ clean?

crazy horse
05-23-2005, 06:32 AM
RM, You talkin about 3M scotch-brite stuff ? there is also Norton bear-tex and Superior shur-brite, Just to name a couple more. Ebay is a pretty good place to buy these cheap, Or most tool supply companys carry them. ;)

mk30h
05-24-2005, 08:07 AM
What gen starlight scope you using for the pictures? Is the LZ clean?

actually, the pictures were taken with a spanking new Kodak CX 7300, perhaps the green glow or tinge comes from the fact that the motor was stored for 35 years in a spent nuclear fuel rod cooling tank at Chalk River in Canada.
They used to run the motor once a month for a few minute to stir up the tank a bit just in case there was any sediment collecting on the old fuel rods. U238 might have been responsible for a some yellow powder on the lower unit which I thought might just be pine pollen.

Wish they would have tilted the motor up instead of leaving the lowerunit submerged for 40 years. One good thing about this engine, is that if I don't repaint, it will be a great night fishing engine.