PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a suggestion for a firewall .........

Balzy
04-29-2005, 11:38 PM
I can download from the net that has updates and works well without using up a pile of resources? I have been using McAfee for a long time with no trouble as far as viruses go but don't have their firewall. I uninstalled to run the Charter High Speed Security Suite that comes with my 3 meg service but it really chokes and glogs up my puter. I also just bumped my ram up to 384 because at 128 it choked completely. I know, I know, that ain’t crap for ram but I don’t wanna stick any more money in a 4 year old maching.

22VelocityProMax300
04-30-2005, 04:52 AM
Mike, Do you use Internet Explorer by chance, for your internet connection? I switched over about a year ago to Mozilla Firefox and I can"t believe how good a system this is. Before I switched I was always having problems with slow downloads and crap hacking into my computer. It has made my life on the computer much more enjoyable. Now if I could just get my High Definition Hitachi TV under control ,I would have more time to work on the boat. Frank

Euroski
04-30-2005, 05:04 AM
Check into routers which offer "hardware" type firewall. For myself, I use Norton firewall only because I'm still on dial-up service and not much of interest to hackers.

Balzy
04-30-2005, 10:49 AM
It's a 4 year or so old HP Pavillian 8860 with a 1.3 Meg proc and runs Windows ME with 384 meg of sdram.

Does the Zone alarm firewall slow you down much? I had it a long time ago and it was always telling me someone was looking at ports. I am sure it's way better now. That was a long time ago.