PDA

View Full Version : Curious to what lower unit is this, Merc Inline 6?

LakeRacer99
04-01-2005, 02:39 PM
Hey guys...I was at our local chapter's AOMC meet at the local Marine Tach school and this lower unit was on an inline on the rack, sorry for the bad photo. Judging by the cowlings on the motor it ia either a 76 or 77.
This lower appears to be all the same material and I see no signs of welding or bondo.

Did Merc make a lower unit like this? Or is it a garage brew?

Raceman
04-01-2005, 03:51 PM
Definately garage work. Merc never made one with the nosecone like that, and that one also has some of the side water holes plugged, and of course the skeg is a mess.

LakeRacer99
04-01-2005, 05:00 PM
Interesting anyway...I noticed there were fewer intakes...in the pic, they look plugged.
Somewhere I have an aftermarket cone that is similar to this profile, but twice the size. I had it up to an inline and it would take a bunch of putty to blend in.

Raceman
04-01-2005, 06:01 PM
That case also looks kinda chunky to me. The earlier inline cases weren't as streamlined as the later ones. I know they'd changed by 74 and that they had the blount ones still in 71, but can't remember the in betweens. It's really kinda hard to say from a pic, especially with the cone on that one.

Jeff_G
04-08-2005, 11:00 AM
Just a mid 70's stock gearcase to me. After 79 I believe they removed the flush fittinf.

Raceman
04-08-2005, 07:49 PM
Sorry Jeff, we're gonna have to disqualify your opinion for not submitting it in a timely manner. In the future try to respond in less than a week. If you need to take a leave of abscence from here in the future please submit the request in writing at least 30 days in advance.

LakeRacer99
04-11-2005, 08:33 AM
RM-LOL...
Jeff...What RM said...we need to see some "regular" attendence here from you or we are gonna have to report this.

This case may be nothing more than a garage brew hot rod job, but I thought the cone looked like it was cast into the case. Probably not, it really wouldn't make any difference on the 1150 it was on anyway, just looked cool I guess.

Jeff_G
04-11-2005, 08:39 AM
I sorry, At least I got the quip in about the flushing plug! :p
Work has been exceptionally busy and restoring an Austin Healey, 49 Ford pick up and looking for parts on e-bay.... not a lot of time to scann the posts every day.