PDA

View Full Version : Mount Dora

25ss
03-30-2005, 09:33 PM
Thought i was going to hear my first stacker run!!
This was at the MT Dora show Belongs to Gary McNorris? (spelling)
Got to see it idle to the trailer. Apparently he got out a little to early in the am. Apparently the police got got several calls & even 911 calls.
He was asked to leave the water.
I think its a 68 LTZ He did a great job redoing it.
Dale!

25ss
03-30-2005, 09:36 PM
More pics.

T2x
03-31-2005, 05:11 PM
That is one ugly looking bad boy........

I can't imagine that after the sleek Glastrons and prior Carlson Contenders that Art Carlson would have anything to do with that 50's space movie looking thing. It looks like it was designed by George Jetson.....

There is another one of these pictured somewhere on S&F with duals back in the day, in Arkansas. The odd thing is this looks like it was either derived from the G-3 or vice versa.....but a bad derivative from a styling point of view.

Gary McNorius has some beautiful stuff...Maybe he can find a wood flat bottom Switzer , or a McCall of some kind, to better showcase his Stacker.

Just my humble opinion....... no insult intended.

T2x

Jeff_G
04-08-2005, 11:03 AM
Rich, you ain't got no class! That there is one neat boat! And what is wrong with George Jetson? :D

Fish
04-08-2005, 04:25 PM
I Was hoping to see/hear it run too. I spoke with the owner who did not know a lot about its history other than the guy who owned it before them said it was one of only three built. The pictures REALLY do not do that boat justice. It was absolutely IMACULATE!!! I am talking perfect in every way. The motor looked fresh out of a box, the boat did not look 5 minutes old much less 40+/- years old. I asked about the motor and was told that after the show they will take it back off and put it in their warehouse with some other motors they have. Said that there almost is no place they can run it any more due to the noise. I would have been ok with that anyway, it would look really good in my living room. :)

they also had a black carlson there.

Bruster
04-09-2005, 07:38 AM
Everything Gary has is that perfect. The 1250 Stacker usually sits next to a box new Merc 850XS, Merc 75H & 55H, Chrysler Stacker, 35 Oliver, 57 Evinrude Lark, Switzer 1500XS and probably the nicest McCulloch supercharged 57 Studebaker Golden Hawk on the planet.
You say "they" had a Carlson there. That's new to me, I didn't know Gary had a Carlson, never said anything to me about that, and it seems like he would :confused: . I wouldn' be surprised to see the yellow boat with the 850 XS on it next year @ Mt Dora and some of the Florida shows. Who knows? :)

I Was hoping to see/hear it run too. I spoke with the owner who did not know a lot about its history other than the guy who owned it before them said it was one of only three built. The pictures REALLY do not do that boat justice. It was absolutely IMACULATE!!! I am talking perfect in every way. The motor looked fresh out of a box, the boat did not look 5 minutes old much less 40+/- years old. I asked about the motor and was told that after the show they will take it back off and put it in their warehouse with some other motors they have. Said that there almost is no place they can run it any more due to the noise. I would have been ok with that anyway, it would look really good in my living room. :)

they also had a black carlson there.

Fish
04-09-2005, 06:33 PM
Everything Gary has is that perfect. The 1250 Stacker usually sits next to a box new Merc 850XS, Merc 75H & 55H, Chrysler Stacker, 35 Oliver, 57 Evinrude Lark, Switzer 1500XS and probably the nicest McCulloch supercharged 57 Studebaker Golden Hawk on the planet.
You say "they" had a Carlson there. That's new to me, I didn't know Gary had a Carlson, never said anything to me about that, and it seems like he would :confused: . I wouldn' be surprised to see the yellow boat with the 850 XS on it next year @ Mt Dora and some of the Florida shows. Who knows? :)

Hey bruster, my bad, it was a switzer. Not sure what I was thinking when I said carlson. Anyway, the switzer was nice too. I did not speak to a guy, it was a woman (did not get her name). Sounds like gary has one heck of a collection, and I hope he brings the yellow boat to dora with the 850, I would love to see it run.

fish

Bruster
04-09-2005, 09:38 PM
You were talking to Gloria, she knows more about boats and cars than most guys. The Switzer is just a piece of work. Gary used to work at the old Action Marine and made a new Action Marine bottom for the Switzer. I think he started with a 16 or 17' piece. He grafted this in to the original Swtzer's plywood sides, laminated epoxy and cloth over everything. The boat is super strong and looks 10 up close, you know in the corners you can't see without looking. You never know what Gary will have next year, but bet it will be a head turner, and you won't see another one like it! :D :D

Gary Mac Norius
04-10-2005, 04:43 PM
Thanks for all the positive comments......here are a few better photos of the MTZ

Gary Mac Norius
04-10-2005, 04:51 PM
I tracked down the second owner that told me this was one of three built in California. Then the company folded in 1968. If anyone has seen another or knows anything else about it's history, would like to hear from you.
Thanks, Gary

smirnoff
04-11-2005, 07:49 AM
Hey Gary,

We would love to have you & your boat up here in Michigan (Lk St Clair), we even have a June Vintage Boat Show in Algonac (where I live/home of Chris Craft), no problem with noise (offshores with multiple engines/open headers run all the time) :eek:

We even a somebody with a Chrysler Stacker, along with multiple hydroplanes which "test" on early Sunday mornings.....

Boat is gorgeous!!!

Fish
04-11-2005, 09:55 AM
olegator,
here is another pic of the bottom..

good to see you still chiming in around here from time to time. :)

Take care,

fish

T2x
04-11-2005, 12:28 PM
Wouldn't it be neat to make the opening in the front functional? Take in air at the front and dump it under the hull.

Where does the air coming through that opening go now?

The mold work is obviously good.....

Gary..did you refinish it ...or is that an example of the boat as built?

Many collectors restore boats to conditions well beyond there original quality levels.

T2x

Gary Mac Norius
04-11-2005, 01:42 PM
The boat as found was pretty straight. Needed a little tweaking here and there. Transom, of course was toast....really like toast! The front scoop is not functional. The Stacker is coming off and will be replaced with an in-line 6 150 short.

2us70
04-11-2005, 03:06 PM
Somebody find Gary a Molinari for that stacker motor.

BarryStrawn
04-11-2005, 08:30 PM
Has anyone tried adapting a Supertrapp disk setup to a stacker? I know it just wouldn't be the same but at least you could run the engines.

25ss
04-12-2005, 09:44 PM
Found Mystery # 0107
Type: Runabout
Hull: V w/fins
Length: 15-18 ft
Power: outboard

Notes: None Mystery # 0108
Type: Runabout
Hull: V
Length: 17
Power: Outboard
IDENTIFIED: 1968 Cobra

Notes: None

Found this on fiberglassics looks alot like Garys MTZ?

Raceman
04-12-2005, 10:05 PM
Has anyone tried adapting a Supertrapp disk setup to a stacker? I know it just wouldn't be the same but at least you could run the engines.

I thought about tryin' that several years ago with mine Barry, after the DNR told me never to crank it again, not even on my boat ramp. I just decided I didn't want to throw 300 plus at it when I figured they'd plug pretty quick from the oil. One thing I did try was puttin' 3 glasspacks on one engine and crankin' it on the ramp. It made an awful gurglin' noise that sounded about like some chick barfin' in the mornin' when they realize they just woke up beside T Rex. They were also a floppy mess that I was afraid would break the elbows off if I didn't support em somehow, so I abandoned the idea.

People who haven't heard one of these boats run can't imagine how loud they really are. I guess the megs multiply the noise somehow. (I've seen old pictures from the 40's or 50'sof cheerleaders yellin' through bigger ones at ball games) I've always thought they're louder than a top fuel or funny car.

Gary Mac Norius
04-13-2005, 02:07 PM
This the same boat as pictured on Fiberglassics before I restored it. Titled and serial numbered as a 1968 MTZ.