PDA

View Full Version : What Is A 75h ???

Fast Fred
03-27-2005, 04:38 PM
what is a 75H merc, and whos got some parts for sale :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :eek:

Raceman
03-27-2005, 07:41 PM
A 75H is a Hydro length 6 cyl Mk 75 from the late 50's. There were VERY FEW made and they're rarer'n hen's teeth now. If there are any parts around presently for sale I'm not aware. I've been lookin' too for about 10 years. If you'll look on the forums home page here there are pictures of a very detailed model by Alterscale that'll give you a good idea of what they look like.

Fast Fred
03-27-2005, 08:04 PM
thanks, is thare parts around to make a clone from other similer units? :cool:

Mark75H
03-27-2005, 09:38 PM
Basically, ............ no.

There were so few made.

Fast Fred
03-27-2005, 09:46 PM
so like big $$$$, or just none to be had, you got one?, whos got a mid how many $$$$$ :cool: :cool:
thanks

Mark75H
03-27-2005, 10:17 PM
There is one clone that may be for sale. I think the asking price is in the $15,000 range. I have no idea if you would consider this big $$ or not.

Most of them are accounted for and are in the hands of collectors who do not wish to sell them, but there are a very few unaccounted for. My research points to 45 motors with serial numbers and the production type lower unit. Possibly 20 or 30 preproduction lower units with slightly different dimensions and configurations.

Anybody could get lucky if they keep looking and asking. The people who have hit pay dirt have not done so on the internet. Successful purchases have involved foot work and car mileage.

Mark75H
03-27-2005, 10:29 PM
Since you are asking for a mid, it sounds like either you have found a lower unit by itself or you don't understand the way the pieces fit together and have a Speedmaster lower unit. A Speedmaster won't fit a 75H mid. Here are some images from Charlie Williams' web site (try not to drool on your keyboard) :
http://www.outboardracing.com/images/image41.jpg
http://www.outboardracing.com/images/image32.jpg
http://www.outboardracing.com/images/image24.jpg
Mid connects to lower here ...
http://www.outboardracing.com/images/image21.jpg
http://www.outboardracing.com/images/charlies_pile_1_small.jpg

None of this is for sale at any price.

Since 1960's clones were quite popular, much of the "Mark75H" stuff in circulation these days is in fact not 75H at all, but 1960's clone material. The Mark75H did not use the 1960's Speedmaster lower unit; the 75H lower unit is different. There is one restorer who has a 75H lower unit and is planning on casting a few replica mids, since a 75H mid by itself or a 75H lower unit by itself is basically useless.

Bob Shapton makes this mid that does connect a 6 cylinder powerhead to a Speedmaster lower unit:
http://www.iserv.net/%7Eshapton/images/quincyf.1.jpeg

Fast Fred
03-27-2005, 10:57 PM
any idea on how many$$$ for a reproduction mid and lower :cool:
that stuff is way cool :cool: :cool:

Mark75H
03-27-2005, 10:58 PM
He is not going to make the lower unit; he has that. He is only going to make the mid. :(

As I said, the mid or lower unit is useless without the other part.

Fast Fred
03-28-2005, 07:45 AM
Hi Mark75H
its not for me, its for the guy with the Mod50 parts, the wants a mid and a lower, and yup I don't know jack about them, I did get him to go for some cash
on some stuff, but he still wants a mid and a lower, thinkin hes got the rest
any and all info is welcome
thanks
Fast Fred

RBT
03-28-2005, 08:34 AM
I heard from a very reliable source that there is a guy in coldwater ontario with 2 75H motors........ does that sound correct?

RT

Fast Fred
03-28-2005, 08:39 AM
could be, he lookin to sell?

RBT
03-28-2005, 08:40 AM
I would guess that everything has it's price.

Mark75H
03-28-2005, 09:06 AM
Oh, I see now. Your friend has the Mod 50 parts and will only trade for a Mk75H lower unit and mid. Thats about equal to someone asking to take a Rochester fuel injection system in trade for a Dodge Charger Daytona wing car. I'd say you were $¢rewed, the trade value isn't even close. There probably were hundreds of 3 2bbl Mod 50 fronts, most of them raced in Europe. You'd be better off flying over to Europe and asking guys at F3 races if they had any leads on Mod50 stuff. Would be a lot cheaper (and save years of looking in the US).

There are 5 or 6 75H's in Canada. You have seen the price for the one in Coldwater already in this thread. You could go to Europe and buy a complete real Mod50 with the exhaust on the other side and everything for that price, couldn't you?

Your friend probably isn't the only one thinkin hes "got the rest" of a 75H, there are a few more special parts that are just as rare: distributor linkage, carbs, flywheel, prop, fuel distribution lines ..... going back to a car analogy .... your friend would have the equivlent of a Rochester fuel injected 327 out of a 63 Impala and be looking for a like new pearl white 63 split window Corvette coupe to put it in- he has a very long way to go.

Fast Fred
03-28-2005, 12:35 PM
well Mark 75H
this is ware i am with it, I have lined up two Mod50 intakes with front 1/2's.
if i had some 75h parts I'm sure I would not give them away. the first one
I have lined up has the carbs, Mod50 carbs with the extra vents and the epoxy
in the float chambers, and the gaskets, the price i worked out is about the same
as i would expect to pay for a SST foot comp' unmolested. i feel it's agood deal.
as i get older it becomes harder to do all the things i wish to get done in life
so I must choose what are the most important things to me.
I am chasein a trophy, which has elooded me for the last 8yrs, 4th overall, and 8th overall,DNF, DNF, DNF, although the intake and carbs is not a sure thing to garranty that the Trophy will be mine
for i will still have to drive it in.it has become important to me to get it done
before my time is up.
MOD50 tiller , yup Tiller, I told the guy if I could spy some 75H parts i'd let him know ware to find them.
thanks
Fast Fred X-61

Mark75H
03-28-2005, 12:41 PM
Where are you planning to race the Mod-50? What class? :)

Fast Fred
03-28-2005, 01:01 PM
Superlite Tunnel, i had a prototype hull made for the X-class, 60cubes or less
naturally aspirated, got to shift it for inspection, "pump gas", unrestricted.
The Top O'Michigan Marathon. :cool: :eek: :cool:

T2x
03-28-2005, 05:11 PM
How many cubes is a 75H?

Is a D/R engine considered a "shiftable" motor?

Hee Hee Hee......... :D :D :D

Fast Fred
03-28-2005, 05:23 PM
thought it was said it was 60cubes, that 75hfoot don't look like it's guna shift. :cool:
whats a D/R

T2x
03-28-2005, 05:26 PM
: whats a D/R

D-irect R-eversing........ The powerhead starts both ways...makes a Speedmaster....run in forward and reverse

Hee Hee Hee.......

T2x

Fast Fred
03-28-2005, 05:35 PM
I think thay are guna want to see neutral, i lock mine up after the inspection :cool: whats a T2x

T2x
03-28-2005, 05:56 PM
I think thay are guna want to see neutral, i lock mine up after the inspection :cool: whats a T2x

Do the rules say..."must have neutral"...... or "capable of forward and reverse operation" ?

A T2x is a 6 carb in line 99 cu in race engine as pictured in my avatar.

T2x

Fast Fred
03-28-2005, 06:13 PM
the exact words are "must have a shiftable gearcase", thay want to see
neutral, the one to one l/u ain't guna get it in the river, or off the turns :cool:

Mark75H
03-28-2005, 09:48 PM
the exact words are "must have a shiftable gearcase", thay want to see
neutral, the one to one l/u ain't guna get it in the river, or off the turns :cool:

Kiekhaefer called it "Silent Neutral" Of course there was also silent forward and silent reverse, too;)

Bummer .... I was thinking the same thing T2x was ..... :( 60 ci, can go forward and backward at the flip of a switch.

How about this lower unit instead:

http://i14.ebayimg.com/02/i/03/b2/6f/ed_1_b.JPG

Fast Fred
03-28-2005, 10:07 PM
what is that off of?, thats how that said we had to wright the rule, I don't shift it when it runin, two man crew, no out side help, the hull has to start and get on plane all by it's self, ( with the crew ofcourse) :cool:

Fast Fred
04-20-2005, 04:37 PM
hay Mark75h
you still thare, wanted to ask you about pipes, and why thar is no stinger
and reflector cone on the end of about all the pipes i've ever seen,
but alkys :cool:

Mark75H
04-20-2005, 05:26 PM
The deflector piston motors have very wide, low exhaust ports. The port open time is very short in degrees and seconds (milliseconds). Most expansion chamber styles don't give a quick, crisp enough signal back to a deflector to be worth the weight disadvantage of full length pipes.

On typical flat piston loopers an expansion chamber can add 30% to 50% power ... open megaphones can add 10% to 15% to loopers or deflectors ... three cylinder closed tuning can add 15% to 30%

Take into consideration there is a penalty in turning performance with added weight of full length pipes and hanging hardware .... you see that if the pipes can't add 50% or more power .... the power increase may not out weigh the weight/handling penalty.

Fast Fred
05-19-2005, 06:16 AM
thinkin about puttin 3 dirt bike expandtion cans on it, and makin um slip :cool: