PDA

View Full Version : Need help 125BP lower unit.

Dave S
03-16-2005, 09:17 PM
Hi guys I need a shifter dog and part that makes it move up and down. Also info on reassembly. I know how to take apart but need help on putting together. :p Like how to preload the top gears. Thanks DaveS.

projectile
03-19-2005, 10:19 PM
Steckbauer told me he worked on the assembly line putting those things together,he knows how they go together.Probably has parts too ,give him a call .

Mark75H
03-19-2005, 11:26 PM
He told me assembling BP's was his first job at Merc and they were so hard to get right he won't touch one with a 10 ft pole - much less work on one. :eek:

projectile
03-20-2005, 07:18 AM
I didnt mean send it to him .I said call him and ask-your dime goes a long way
with him.

Raceman
03-20-2005, 07:30 AM
Steckbauer told me the same thing..................... there's not enough money to get him to tackle one now. If they're that complex to him, he's not likely to be able to give a simple assembly process over the phone.

If you figure out how it's done I'll send you a couple of mine to go through also.:D

Mark75H
03-20-2005, 11:56 AM
I have asked him. His response was set it up as display only; he would say nothing about the internal set up. His feeling is that if he even tells you how it works and it fails - he would be blamed for the failure.

Dave S
03-20-2005, 06:19 PM
For the imput, I will put it together the best I can.

Guy Hanson
04-07-2005, 11:42 PM
Hi Dave, I believe I may have the parts you are looking for, only problem is Iam in Australia, let me know if you are still looking and if I can help.
Regards Guy

Dave S
04-08-2005, 05:46 PM
Thanks Guy I have someone thats gonna help me with parts. How did you wind up with BPs down under??

Dave S
06-26-2005, 09:10 PM
Well today was a day of rest, so I figgered it was time to put the BP back together before I forget where the parts are and where they go. It's hard to put 3 gears in the lower unit thats 10 inches long and 2 inches wide. Then ya gotta set up the 3 top gears so the touqe is even on all the shafts. The last gear on top don't want to be nice so I gave up for now.... I can't see how any one could shim this case for pinion hight. :confused: I think that having Carl K looking over your back migth help. :rolleyes: And having to do 500 units would be a start...... :eek:

baldad45
07-19-2005, 11:11 PM
Hi ,just found this site tonight,I have a 1969 1250BP that I ran for one year until I broke one of the lower drive gears.Basicly gave up trying to find parts for this drive 25 years ago, found a speedmaster gearcase and adapter and ran that. I've always wanted to restore this drive but finding parts for a rare setup in Canada before the internet was next to impossible.If anyone can direct me to someone with parts for this gearcase I would really appreaciate it.I'm really enjoying this site ,keep up the good work.PS.this motor was on a 70's vintage Molunari hull with a Mercury part #.

Mark75H
07-20-2005, 06:32 AM
COOL! Welcome to SnF!

Bad news: BP lower units are still as rare as they were when you broke yours. Its not just Canada, its worldwide. Watching eBay seems to have been the best source for BP stuff. Hope you have a fat wallet .... junk BP's are not cheap because of all the guys like you that just need a few parts.

Keep looking, you never know when you will get lucky! :):):)

outboard bob
07-20-2005, 03:31 PM
What happened to the Molonari

baldad45
07-20-2005, 10:33 PM
I still have the Molonari , its in bad need of restoration ,but now that my familly has grown up I'm finding time for these neglected projects.

T2x
07-21-2005, 07:07 AM
I still have the Molonari , its in bad need of restoration ,but now that my familly has grown up I'm finding time for these neglected projects.

Wanna sell it?

T2x

baldad45
07-28-2005, 08:28 PM
T2X:Not now ,this site has sparked my interest and I think I'll be starting a restoation this winter.Sorry I didn't get back to your question missed the fact that a 2nd page had started.baldad45

Raceman
07-28-2005, 09:11 PM
T2X:Not now ,this site has sparked my interest and I think I'll be starting a restoation this winter.Sorry I didn't get back to your question missed the fact that a 2nd page had started.baldad45

No No No............... this site: bad......................restoration: bad.................. disposing of old stuff: good. You should sell that thing without delay before it's too late.:eek: :eek:

baldad45
07-28-2005, 11:32 PM
Raceman:I see from your numerous posts that you have collected a great stash of parts . From your last post I have to assume they are all for sale,that new trend of purging all that took a lifetime to collect.:) :) :)