PDA

View Full Version : In search of Wings.......

T2x
03-07-2005, 10:14 AM
I spent Saturday in South Florida and thanks to various friends on here was able to see two wings in person.

The first is the "Boynton Beach" wing and it does exist basically as advertised.
The boat has as new gel coat with a pretty good lustre. It is fully rigged with two T-2's and is on a new trailer. It is colored ivory...(not a particularly attractive color...but the finish is mint). It has beautiful hand crafted canopies with locking lids..... and a full boat cover. It is kept indoors among one of the largest collections of outboard parts I have ever seen. There was a Switzer Shooting star (mid 50's) on the floor having the final touches put on a beautifully restored Mark 55 by the guys in Ted Miller's shop. Ted gets restoration work from around the country....and , considering he does no advertizing, has quite a business going.

His current price is $50,000......and, frankly, I don't think it is out of line...if the engines are in the condition he claims.

The second wing is another 20 footer in the early stages of restoration. It is basically sound but the finish has gone away..... The boat has evidence of previous race damage...but not significant. The engines are magnificent T-1's both completely rebuilt and refinished from top to bottom.

This boat is absolutely not for sale...and I promised not to divulge the owners name or the location....other than to confirm its existance.

All in all a great day...... and the wing "registry" now has 16 confirmed hulls in existance.

T2x

MagicFloat
03-07-2005, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the update.I agree,not out of line. After all,you can't just go out and buy a new wing with a pair of T-2's at your local dealer :) . I never saw a 20 with canopies. Did he let you take any photos?

PARKER RABE
03-07-2005, 08:38 PM
No Chit Where The Pics .....man Oh Man What A Cool Story !

T2x
03-08-2005, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the update.I agree,not out of line. After all,you can't just go out and buy a new wing with a pair of T-2's at your local dealer :) . I never saw a 20 with canopies. Did he let you take any photos?

I did not take pictures......... But here are two other 20 footers with canopies.

T2x

outboard bob
03-08-2005, 12:33 PM
I have spoken to Kenny Kitson about this and he said that he never liked the canopies.Too closed in ("Hot"), no air movement and glare from the sun.But he ran them anyway for M.R. Kiekhaefer in the 20 foot Wings.

stylishskier
03-08-2005, 12:49 PM
aren't there wings that were supposed to be in a warehouse somewhere at lake x or maybe the new x site? or are you counting those as well. 16 out of what 60 total produced? thats not too bad considering the age

2us70
03-08-2005, 07:12 PM
What happened to the molds?

MagicFloat
03-08-2005, 07:59 PM
This may qualify as an urban legend but I had always heard that Bob and Dave destroyed the molds because of too many accidents. But I also heard that it was the DeSilva wing that had the worst crashes,and the Switzer wing,due to it's prominence, was blamed. Heck, I always thought the Boynton Beach wing was an urban legend,I was wrong on that one too :)

Mark75H
03-08-2005, 09:11 PM
The Switzer Wing molds were destoryed by a fire at the factory. I asked Dave Switzer about this some time ago. He said the decision not to build new molds was purely economic.

There were only 3 DeSilva Wings and each was a little different. To my knowledge, only 1 DeSilva Wing crashed. I believe Ron Hill said he hauled the other 2 to the dump after they were offered for sale and there were no takers.

Raceman
03-08-2005, 09:16 PM
aren't there wings that were supposed to be in a warehouse somewhere at lake x or maybe the new x site? or are you counting those as well. 16 out of what 60 total produced? thats not too bad considering the age

Duane, John Sherlock has been at Lake X and now X site for a number of years and has a long connection with Merc. He just went and got the one from the sign that was discussed here in the last several weeks. I suspect if any existed anywhere in Merc mothballs he'd have been all over em.

largecar91
03-09-2005, 01:43 PM
WHAT ARE THE APPROX. PRODUCTION NUMBERS OF THE DUTCHMAN WINGS AND ALSO THE ALUMINUM ONES?? DOES ANYONE KNOW? ARE THERE ANY OF THESE STILL OUT THERE?? :confused:

Mark75H
03-09-2005, 05:08 PM
I have the email address of the guy who made the Dutchman Wing. I had been wondering the same thing about its production. I've only heard of the one.

I've never heard about aluminum Wings. Can you tell us any more?

largecar91
03-09-2005, 08:04 PM
I E-mailed The Man From Dutchman Today Trying To Get The Figures. I Will Let You Know What He Tells Me. As For Aluminum, Didn't Bill Petty Build Some?? ALSO, THERE IS ANOTHER SWITZER WING IN OHIO, I WILL TRY TO GET PICTURES.

MagicFloat
03-09-2005, 08:43 PM
The Pettycraft hulls were not wings,they were tunnels,similar to the Molinaris in some ways,and yes, built in aluminum. Not sure on the #'s, but very,very few.Had some pics from the old days,I'll see if I can find them.

T2x
03-09-2005, 09:23 PM
WHAT ARE THE APPROX. PRODUCTION NUMBERS OF THE DUTCHMAN WINGS AND ALSO THE ALUMINUM ONES?? DOES ANYONE KNOW? ARE THERE ANY OF THESE STILL OUT THERE?? :confused:

Let's stop this "urban Legend" before it starts....

The Dutchman hulls wereNOT wings....They were tunnel hulls built along the lines of the Schultze/Magnums.......... The only relation to wings was that Jan Schoonover...The builder of Dutchman hulls.....previously raced in a Wing caled "The Flying Dutchman"

The "Aluminum Ones" were also not Wings....but simply aluminum versions of the same Schultze/Magnum design listed above and called "Petty Craft".

Why so similar?????

Schoonover lived in the same area of Ohio as Bill Petty.

A similar design to the Dutchman/Petty Craft reappeared a few years later as the first Skater...the full tunnel 18 footer.

T2x

T2x
03-09-2005, 09:38 PM

Mercury (Kiekhaefer) owned the rights to all 40 18 foot Switzer Wings produced. He did, in fact, have them in a warehouse....... but that cache is long gone. Back then after 2-3 years Mercury basically wrote off and destroyed all hulls in their possession...from hydros to Offshore hulls. The exceptions were those that Merc employees and friends were able to get out the back door...or buy outright. These 18 footers that are appearing here and there....including Gene Lanham's, John Sherlock's, and a few others are probably from that stash.

I believe that there are under 20 total left in existence including:

1. El Diablo....Bob Valachovic/KennY Kitson...18'

2. John Sherlock's "Wing on a Stick"....18'

3. Ours " Dust'n the Wind"........20'

4. Boynton Beach Wing........ 20'

5. Fort Lauderdale area Wing........ 20'

6. Dick Davis' Wing..............20"

7. Wing in Arizona (rescued by Ron Hill Last year).... 18'

8, 9, 10..... In a collection in Dayton, Ohio

11. Gene Lanham's in storage............ 18'

12. Mertens family Wing....................18'

13. Wing in Seattle area...................18'

14. Wing at a motorcycle dealership in Canada....... 18'

15. Barry Cohen's Wing..............................18'

16. Wing in New Mexico rigged with 2 x 65's.....18'

T2x

Note:

I have seen, corresponded with, spoken to the owners of, or verified...

#'s 1 through 12 above.

#'s 13 through 16 are from good sources...but I can't verify.

Mark75H
03-09-2005, 10:04 PM
Rich as it turns out Jan Schoonover was the designer and builder of the boats in question but not the owner of the company. A gentleman by the name of William M. Blough, Sr was also involved. This boat is supposed to be a 21 footer. Take a close look at the camber of the section between the hulls ... and notice the different shape of the cowl behind the cockpit and the deck/hull line in front of the cockpit.

Mark75H
03-09-2005, 10:17 PM
I think the boats you were referring to were these:

lilabner
03-09-2005, 10:25 PM
Is Barry Cohen the old offshore racer that had a 36' Magnum? I think it was named "Dreadnaught"..got a good Aronow story on that one..

T2x
03-09-2005, 10:37 PM
Rich as it turns out Jan Schoonover was the designer and builder of the boats in question but not the owner of the company. A gentleman by the name of William M. Blough, Sr was also involved. This boat is supposed to be a 21 footer. Take a close look at the camber of the section between the hulls ... and notice the different shape of the cowl behind the cockpit and the deck/hull line in front of the cockpit.

Sam....

You got me on this one....never saw it before...but...it looks more like a DeSilva...rather than a Switzer.

Without seeing the actual hull...Who knows?...but I don't think they ever made it to production.

T2x

T2x
03-09-2005, 10:38 PM
I think the boats you were referring to were these:

Yep...Those are the Dutchmen...as was the Dutchman logo in the "Wing boat" brochure above.

T2x

T2x
03-09-2005, 10:39 PM
Is Barry Cohen the old offshore racer that had a 36' Magnum? I think it was named "Dreadnaught"..got a good Aronow story on that one..

Yep....He started Barcone boats...after racing Ghostrider and the Magnum.

I'm told he has a wing on Long Island.

T2x

lilabner
03-09-2005, 11:09 PM
If you ever read the Aronow book by Michael Aronow, he tells of a story about Ken Elkind, who was enamoured with Don..Ken brought a Jet boat to Magnum one day and asked Don to drive it..it took a lot of pleading but Don finally said ok..I was working for Holman Moody and in the Dreadnaught at the time right next to Don and Danny Durrough, his foreman, watching all this..It was evident Don had never driven a jet before..he hit the Donzi floating dock heading out, was all over the canal,couldnt get used to the steering..coming back, right across the canal from me where it ended at Hi Lift Marina, he went between a piling and the sea wall, only it was about a foot narrower than the boat..he jammed it in there and kept it floored to get it out..Ken jumped out screaming "my boat, my boat"..Don made it back to the dock and Ken was still screaming running around the sea wall, and ranting to Don that he ruined his boat..Don said to him,cool as he was.."Kid, I did you a favor, the boat is a piece of sh*t, Danny, fix the kids boat". This urban legend is absolutely fact...Ken went on to build Monza boats..a really nice 18 footer, and I worked for him for awhile..I think he builds a state of the art ski boat now..

Butch

2us70
03-09-2005, 11:29 PM
Butch
I am going to be down in your part of town in the morning. If it's ok I'll drop by for lunch
Jim

Mark75H
03-09-2005, 11:34 PM
You got me on this one....never saw it before...but...it looks more like a DeSilva...rather than a Switzer.

Without seeing the actual hull...Who knows?...but I don't think they ever made it to production.

I am in 100% agreement with you. I think the black deceptively makes it look like a hybrid of the two. I think it would look more like a DeSilva if it was white or red and white. I couldn't quite place that look before you brought it to my attention, thanks.

I wonder if the molds for it are behind some barn outside Lima .... :eek:

blkmtrfan
03-09-2005, 11:41 PM
Great stuff guys :cool:

Rich, I can't believe after all of the hype that you didn't take pictures of the Boynton Beach Wing....

You know you can even take pics with a disposable and get them turned into digital on a CD for only a few bucks ;)

largecar91
03-10-2005, 02:41 AM
They sure looked a lot like the Switzers. :confused: :confused:

T2x
03-10-2005, 07:04 AM
They sure looked a lot like the Switzers. :confused: :confused:

Nah....They looked more like De Silva's.......

T2x

lilabner
03-10-2005, 08:45 AM
Jim
come on by..I'm ready..we'll make Donnie feel old

Butch

Powercat
03-10-2005, 10:27 AM
Is this the same boat?
Some features are different
Maybe he ran a Switzer before they built
their own version.. both called Fying Dutchmen
just guessing on my part.
Danny Leger

willabee
03-10-2005, 10:35 AM
That's not totally accurate, Petty and Schnoover did get together and built 2 fiberglass wings. Mercury brought some of the offshore drivers, Roy Ridgell and Wayne Vickers were among them, to co-drive with Bill and Jan at Parker in, I think, 1969. I remember that they all agreed to use a raised hand just before the pit turn as a signal that they wre coming in and wanted a relief driver. Their hands were up all day, because the boats just beat the living sh-t out of them.

They also built a few versions of the fiberglass tunnel you described, they didn't run very well either. Petty built a 18' and a 20' aluminum tunnel for his own use before Mercury started supplying his equipment.

Sorry, I posted this before I read all of the responses. Looks like you guys already figured that the Dutchman wings did exist.

RBT
03-10-2005, 11:40 AM
Rich or anyone else, where is #14 in Canada? I wanna go see it..........

RT ( as you might know I like old things..... )

willabee
03-10-2005, 02:49 PM
Is this the same boat?
Danny Leger

No, that is the original "Flying Dutchman", a Switzer that he set the straightaway record with - around 109 MPH. I think it had 1100 stackers on it when he set the record. Seems like Ernie Threlkeld then tried to break Jan's mark with a Switzer powered by OMC, think he flipped and got badly hurt. Don't know what happened to that boat, didn't see it on the list.

Dave S
03-10-2005, 08:16 PM
One of my old boating buddys bought a 21 foot Molinari from K+K in longISland. He didn't want to buy the old obsolete boat that they had next to it. A switzer with the name SeaReed, I belive old story long time ago. Or was the Molinari the one called SeaReed?? Ring any bells???

rhinoXX
03-10-2005, 08:46 PM
Hey powercat, you got any history on that Wing thumbnail? Are there any others with that white "crest" on them?

Mark75H
03-10-2005, 08:48 PM
Petty and Schnoover did get together and built 2 fiberglass wings. Mercury brought some of the offshore drivers, Roy Ridgell and Wayne Vickers were among them, to co-drive with Bill and Jan at Parker in, I think, 1969.

Do you know if they finished? I'm thinking if we can find the results of that race we learn some more about the Dutchman Wing.

T2x
03-11-2005, 09:36 AM
Is this the same boat?
Danny Leger

That is not the same boat...That is Schoonover's Switzer.....

T2x

T2x
03-11-2005, 09:38 AM
Rich or anyone else, where is #14 in Canada? I wanna go see it..........

RT ( as you might know I like old things..... )

You and me both....... I understand that it resides in a fenced in area at a motorcycle dealership with a bunch of junk bike parts..... I don't have a town or Province...yet.

T2x

T2x
03-11-2005, 09:41 AM
One of my old boating buddys bought a 21 foot Molinari from K+K in longISland. He didn't want to buy the old obsolete boat that they had next to it. A switzer with the name SeaReed, I belive old story long time ago. Or was the Molinari the one called SeaReed?? Ring any bells???

Dave:

What happened to Kenny's Molinari.....? Who bought it and does he still have it?

Sea Reed , I believe, was newer Vee Switzer.

T2x

T2x
03-11-2005, 09:42 AM
That's not totally accurate, Petty and Schnoover did get together and built 2 fiberglass wings. Mercury brought some of the offshore drivers, Roy Ridgell and Wayne Vickers were among them, to co-drive with Bill and Jan at Parker in, I think, 1969. I remember that they all agreed to use a raised hand just before the pit turn as a signal that they wre coming in and wanted a relief driver. Their hands were up all day, because the boats just beat the living sh-t out of them.

Or maybe, knowing Vickers, they had partied a little too hardy the night before.

T2x :D

willabee
03-11-2005, 09:56 AM
I'm not really sure if they finished, I know most of the drivers didn't want to! My memory bank is telling me that they both had structural problems, started breaking up due to the rough ride. I seem to remember the black one ( Jan's ) retiring about mid way, and the yellow one ( Bill's ) lasting a couple hours longer. I don't recall them ever being a factor in the standings.

willabee
03-11-2005, 10:02 AM
If I'm not mistaken, was destroyed in a fire. A lot of years ago, while visiting Billy Joe Broughton, Billy Joe and I visited Ernie. At that time they lived pretty close to each other in Shelbyville, Ky. At that time I saw the wing stored in Ernie's barn.

You're right, now I remember hearing about the fire ( from Alan Stinson ) - Thanks

willabee
03-11-2005, 10:12 AM
Or maybe, knowing Vickers, they had partied a little too hardy the night before.

Based on that statement, you really do know Vickers.:)

Powercat
03-12-2005, 11:52 AM
Rhinoxx
I have captured a couple hundred photos of Switzer wings from this board
and others over the past few years.. Problem is I don't know the story that
goes with all of them... There are several of the Switzers that do show the
"crest" with the numbers in them.. Even back to some photos of the first
wood Wing that was also numbered U4
Danny Leger

Hey powercat, you got any history on that Wing thumbnail? Are there any others with that white "crest" on them?

T2x
03-14-2005, 06:53 PM
Up date........ The number dwindles... We are down to 15

1. El Diablo....Bob Valachovic/Kenny Kitson...18'

6. Dick Davis' Wing (see below)..............20'

11. Gene Lanham's (reported sold to Keith Eickert 10 years ago)... 18'

13. Wing at a motorcycle dealership in Canada....... 20'

14. Barry Cohen's Wing..............................18'

15. Wing in New Mexico rigged with 2 x 65's.....18'

The wing in Washington State was apparently sold some years ago and became part of the Florida group.......... according to the latest information. In addition, I am also advised that Gene Lanham's wing was sold some years ago to Keith Eickert. I am following up on that one.

The Canadian wing has been revised from 18' to 20' based on updated info.

T2x

MagicFloat
03-15-2005, 08:39 AM
I notice the guy in the photo has a chainsaw,that's pretty scary :)

Mark75H
03-15-2005, 09:21 AM
That was to liberate it from the trees growing around it, maybe thru it. It was a mess.:o

Powercat
03-15-2005, 06:04 PM
Rich:
In talking to Dick Davis the other night, the ownership of the
wing he had purchased came into question, and it now has returned
to the previous owner. Dick did not elaborate, but I gathered it was
more of a hassle than it was worth...
Also the one that Ron Hill located belongs to Rick Connolly of Arizona.
Danny Leger

T2x

T2x
03-15-2005, 06:32 PM
Up date........ still 15 total

6. Dick Davis' Wing ( returned to previous owner)..............20'

7. Rick Connolly's Wing , Arizona (rescued by Ron Hill Last year).... 18'

T2x

T2x
03-15-2005, 06:34 PM
Rich:
In talking to Dick Davis the other night, the ownership of the
wing he had purchased came into question, and it now has returned
to the previous owner. Dick did not elaborate, but I gathered it was
more of a hassle than it was worth...

Danny Leger

Thanks Danny:

I'd like to know more...... There are a number of homes for that boat.....

Were the origin doc's available?

T2x

MagicFloat
03-15-2005, 07:38 PM
I'm thankful T2x and others are putting in the time and trouble to research all of this. The Switzer Wing has well deserved having everything updated for those of us still in awe of the design.After all of the years(1961-2005) to find 15 left from a total of 67 built is a pretty good record. Please continue to keep us informed.

lilabner
03-15-2005, 11:22 PM
Gene said his wing was a 19 foot model, probably what is now called a 20..it was not an 18..and was sold to KSW (Keith) close to 20 years ago..he must have sold it right after he told me he was never going to sell it..he said the time was right to get away from Miami..and he is still driving the same 60's pickup he towed it with...

Powercat
03-17-2005, 07:27 PM
Rich:
I checked and this one is probably not going to surface for
a while. The folks that have it back are a little "unusual" and
they don't want to be contacted about it. I guess we should
list it as "somewhere in Minnesota, owner unknown"
No, none of the history of the boat was known.
Danny Leger

Thanks Danny:
I'd like to know more...... There are a number of homes for that boat.....
Were the origin doc's available?
T2x

Sunburnt
03-18-2005, 12:12 AM
Is probably going to rot back to dust before anything ever gets done with it.. It was Bad, REAL bad, I saw it, God it was hard to look at. Would be better used as possible plug material.. I am sure mother nature will reclaim her before the owner ever lets it go, it's a shame..

Jeff

T2x
03-18-2005, 08:11 AM
Is probably going to rot back to dust before anything ever gets done with it.. It was Bad, REAL bad, I saw it, God it was hard to look at. Would be better used as possible plug material.. I am sure mother nature will reclaim her before the owner ever lets it go, it's a shame..

Jeff

If I'm reading this correctly...... Dick Davis went and purchased the Wing..... brought it home...... had some followup issue/dialogue/friction with the seller.....and returned it??????

Is that correct?

T2x

outboard bob
03-18-2005, 08:34 AM
I read that myself and do not understand it. Must be more to this.

Powercat
03-18-2005, 08:37 AM
Rich:
Yes that is correct.
Danny

If I'm reading this correctly...... Dick Davis went and purchased the Wing..... brought it home...... had some followup issue/dialogue/friction with the seller.....and returned it??????

Is that correct?

T2x

Sunburnt
03-18-2005, 09:37 AM
Well not actually.. but that will have to do.. It was a very weird situation.

Jeff

T2x
03-18-2005, 10:03 AM
Well not actually.. but that will have to do.. It was a very weird situation.

Jeff

Very sad........ The number is dwindling...... and I'd like to see each remaining example in a good home.... for all to enjoy.

I have a vision of getting 5 or 6 together (running) in one place for the flyby photo of a lifetime.

Right now, we can count on Sherlock, Bob and Kenny's, mine, and I hope a couple others to make the flight.

T2x

outboard bob
03-18-2005, 12:36 PM
Thease Wing boats were and are the Dodge Daytona and Plymouth Superbirds of boatracing,and the Daytona 500 of boat racing was the Lake Havasu Marathon. The Drivers were equaly as famous as Nascar back then. Everyone knew who won Havasu at that time. Bob

blkmtrfan
03-18-2005, 01:09 PM
The Drivers were equaly as famous as Nascar back then. Everyone knew who won Havasu at that time.

Sure wish it was that way today, boat racing is so much more interesting than NASCAR :rolleyes:

Joe
03-19-2005, 06:55 PM
I may know of another wing. When I was finished running TIIX's, a guy by
the name of Jim Street, from Ohio bought everything. He told me he was rebuilding a Switzer Wing, and wanted them for this project.

I know he moved to San Diego, but have no further information on him, other than he was in the alarm business before he retired.

sorry this is so vague.

Joe Johnson

T2x
03-20-2005, 09:06 PM
I may know of another wing. When I was finished running TIIX's, a guy by
the name of Jim Street, from Ohio bought everything. He told me he was rebuilding a Switzer Wing, and wanted them for this project.

I know he moved to San Diego, but have no further information on him, other than he was in the alarm business before he retired.

sorry this is so vague.

Joe Johnson

He's the guy in Dayton....I believe he has 3.

T2x

T2x
03-21-2005, 11:50 PM
T2X, he is the guy I sold my T2 to in 1990. I have been trying to get a hold of him to get a few pics. I went by his shop Saturday but no one was around. This guy has some one of a kind boats that are unreal! In 1990 he had 45 boats. I sold him an old Marathon tunnel That I got from Ron Brown with a T2 on it and after he bought it we went to the lake and he has a shop there as well and he showed me a twin to the boat I had just sold him that was mint and rigged with a mint Chrysler stacker! I have some pics but none of the wing(I only knew him to have 1).

I'm not surprised. I understand that he also has an old WW II Nazi halftrack motorcycle combination that he rides around with accompanied by a pet Orangutan (no joke). When I spoke to him, he told me that he had 3 Wings.... In your picture I think I see a mint Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...Am I correct?

T2x

T2x
03-22-2005, 11:35 PM
Yes he does. He also collects guns. He had a collection in his office that was unreal. All sorts of rare military machine guns and he also had a bunch of very rare old racing outboards in his office(small motors) from all over the world. He has a large 3 cockpit (about 30') mahogany runabout that was the tender for Tommy Sopwith's yacht(of Sopwith Camel airplane fame). It has 2 Liberty aircraft engines in it that are total oil loss motors. It is a trip in time to go over there. Like I said I will keep trying to get a hold of him and get some pics.He uses some of this stuff too. We went bar hopping one day In a 57 Chris Craft 21'Cobra that has a blown Cadillac engine in it that he bought new in 57. It has to be one of the most beautiful boats I have seen.

I understand that the Chris Craft Cobras are currently selling for over $125,000............

T2x

RBT
03-23-2005, 08:57 AM
21's are the 18's are a lot less...... hehe like 80. I sadly saw one burn. One of my all time favorite boats!.

RT

willabee
03-24-2005, 11:41 AM
Thease Wing boats were and are the Dodge Daytona and Plymouth Superbirds of boatracing,and the Daytona 500 of boat racing was the Lake Havasu Marathon. The Drivers were equaly as famous as Nascar back then. Everyone knew who won Havasu at that time. Bob

Amen to that! Every Saturday and Sunday morning around 11:00 A.M., what should have blared from the announcers booth was " Gentlemen, Start your Stackers"

GEORGE GUSTAFSON
03-31-2005, 06:36 PM

The wing in Washington State was apparently sold some years ago and became part of the Florida group.......... according to the latest information. In addition, I am also advised that Gene Lanham's wing was sold some years ago to Keith Eickert. I am following up on that one.

T2x

T2X...I got blown away by this thread going on Wings when I read it for the first time...very interesting indeed...I am very curious where you got the attached picture...I am the one who had the Wing stolen from Austin, Texas. It appears the racing number under the "paint" is T-108...possibly...that was the number on my Wing. But I might be wrong...also I find it strange the guy in Florida who showed you his boat with the two Twister I's on the transoms didn't want you divuldge the whereabouts or his name...everyone I knew who had these rigs..LOVED to flaunt them. My Switzer had two Twister 1's as well. I do have the Florida and Texas Parks and Wildlife checking into it via their network. After I read all these threads...I alerted them. I gave them all the photos/S/Ns' of my boat/motors etc..I told them I knew Ted's boat was not mine..I do wish you would call me and discuss this with me. Between the boat in the picture and the boat and the strange cloke and dagger in Florida...I will bet you a bottom dollar, one of those rigs is mine...AND I do PITY the fellow, for he will be thrown in Jail....that, I will press!!! Kind of scary to think there may be a thief among us...

ps...on another note...I think ironically, I now have the Twin Molinari that K & K raced...not sure if it was Kennys....and I know of another Wing you might not know the history on...#333...I think Muncey drove it for Nordskog Competion Center....have a photo..white rig/Johnsons on the tail. Thanks for any help getting my boat back...someone out there I know has seen it..Great thread...--.214-564-5441...George

Powercat
03-31-2005, 08:00 PM
George:
I have been collecting photos of wings... and had these
of 108T..

GEORGE GUSTAFSON
03-31-2005, 08:40 PM
Yes.........I personally took those pictures the day I bought the boat from Pete DeLackner in Ft. Worth....

gofish7070
04-01-2005, 02:39 PM
While reading this thread,,Allow me to share a story Do not remember the year sometime in the "60s I think it was the Milwaukee Sentinel newspaper along with Mercury staged a OPC boat race from Fond du Lac up the winding Wisconsin rivers to Fremont turn around and come back,,,,,,,It was past the years of the stock outboard days of the Famous Winnebagoland race of the mid 50,s Anyway My Father who than worked for Merc was the main announcer at these races and myself at age 10 was given the binoculars to try to pick the numbers off the boats so he could pass on the names,,many times times I heard the name Stippich, Waldman, Ted Moberg who won the winnebagoland a couple of times,,,,,,,,,,Anyway this one particular year we had radio reports that the first boat making the turn at Fremont was some guy named SWITZER,,,,,Within the hour while straining to see the first boat coming in I had picked him up with binoculars,,,,I picked up the number and passed it to my Dad It was of course the original U-4 The problem was at that age in my life I wasn't sure if this thing was a boat or two aliens with orange helmets on..............The sight of that thing running flat out and Bobby had it WOT coming across the finish line, was truly spectacular,,,,,,Little did I know at the time boat racing history was being made,,,Long Live the Wings........... Go fish7070

T2x
04-01-2005, 05:46 PM
What color is the twin Molinari you have? K&K was owned by Ken Kalibat and he only had one Glastron Molinari twin. He also had a single that I drove for a season.......... His big boat was originally Yellow and Black factory colors but from some reason he painted the boat an ugly blue.... I think to match his marina's colors. I worked at K& K in my youth...... and Ken was a good friend until his death about 7 years ago. His wife and sons still run the business.

T2X...I got blown away by this thread going on Wings when I read it for the first time...very interesting indeed...I am very curious where you got the attached picture...I am the one who had the Wing stolen from Austin, Texas. It appears the racing number under the "paint" is T-108...possibly...that was the number on my Wing. But I might be wrong...also I find it strange the guy in Florida who showed you his boat with the two Twister I's on the transoms didn't want you divuldge the whereabouts or his name...everyone I knew who had these rigs..LOVED to flaunt them. My Switzer had two Twister 1's as well. I do have the Florida and Texas Parks and Wildlife checking into it via their network. After I read all these threads...I alerted them. I gave them all the photos/S/Ns' of my boat/motors etc..I told them I knew Ted's boat was not mine..I do wish you would call me and discuss this with me. Between the boat in the picture and the boat and the strange cloke and dagger in Florida...I will bet you a bottom dollar, one of those rigs is mine...AND I do PITY the fellow, for he will be thrown in Jail....that, I will press!!! Kind of scary to think there may be a thief among us...

ps...on another note...I think ironically, I now have the Twin Molinari that K & K raced...not sure if it was Kennys....and I know of another Wing you might not know the history on...#333...I think Muncey drove it for Nordskog Competion Center....have a photo..white rig/Johnsons on the tail. Thanks for any help getting my boat back...someone out there I know has seen it..Great thread...--.214-564-5441...George

Dave S
04-01-2005, 09:58 PM
T2X, you posted in one of my responsses about that boat, I never got back to ya...I think George has it now. Stomming Norming of Merrick bay used to own the boat. He first ran a 80 hp Merc on it Then went to a V4 strangeler than a V6 200. He knew how to fly the boat, had it lots of years.

2us70
04-16-2005, 02:40 PM
Since the early wings were built of wood there must have been some plans or drawings or patterns of them. Does anyone know if any of this stuff has survived to the present. With all the interest in these boats building a "new one" would be easier and less time consuming than restoring some of the derelict hulls left out there. Even if none of this material is still around it should be possible to "reverse engineer" a wooden replica of the Wing. They do it with Cobras every day.

MagicFloat
04-16-2005, 06:52 PM
You are right,a replica could be built of wood,or even of fiberglass(take a old one and make a hull and deck mold from it) A good glass guy can do it easily if he has the original parts, and there are a few( tho very few) out there.But it poses a question. Is a replica of a Wing really a Wing?Bob and Dave made history years ago with their design. Is a replica Cobra a real Cobra?Depends on your point of view I guess. I am having a good friend restore a 1967 Shooting Star,he told me he could make a "quick and dirty mold" and build a new one cheaper than to restore mine,but I declined.I wanted a "real" Star.But your comments are intriquing,I have often thought of just what you brought up, and I for one would be glad to have a Wing replica since the chances of a real one are slim to none. Comments?

4-MULA-V
04-16-2005, 07:58 PM
When all is said and done you still have a replica, its not the real thing, Half of the reason the wing is so sought after is its availability, uniqueness and authenticity (its history, who raced it etc.). A replica will never have that. Just my opinion. A true superbird brings big money and a crowd everywhere they are. Does the clone?

Mark75H
04-16-2005, 08:38 PM
Some time ago I asked Dave Switzer about plans, blueprints and drawings ... he said no, it was all in his head .... he just held out his thumb, looked at the plywood on the floor and started cutting.

4-MULA-V
04-17-2005, 08:44 AM
Just think if it was this easy, just go to the back page of your powerboat magazine and look in the classified section and find an ad for "switzer wing" for sale. Look at the price complete with motors. These ads were from Feb 72 and July 72' Powerboat magazine. Jerry

WARLOCK
04-18-2005, 06:33 AM
I'll take both of them!! Later, Dave

bernie
04-29-2005, 08:18 PM
I've been following this thread with alot of interest - back in '69 I bought for a wopping $100 a wing that was sitting in the weeds at the old Mercury race shop on the Fond du Lac river. Wayne Meyer was in charge there then - as I remember it had been run by Anderson Marine of Cullman AL, had straight rack dual Ride Guide in it and one cracked canopy I finally threw away- he said get it out of here, he was planning on burning it.
This was fiberglass over wood, and unique as the wing was not straight across in the front. Only a few years ago I was able to meet Bob Switzer to discuss a boat project he had in mind that might involve some Mercury input - I took him pictures of this wing - he said he had forgotten about this one.
Anyway I took it home, added some aluminum transom plates, put a single tank inside the wing, some fiberglas bucket seats, made a foot throttle, rebuilt the moveable wing at the stern, and went looking for power.
Dan Donovan was the Merc tech rep for the area - he found me a couple of 1250 BP's that OMC had bought and tested/ran - paid $1600 for the pair, went down to a OMC dealer in the Fox Lake IL area to get them. Still remember stopping on the South side of Milwaukee for a quick lunch with a pair of BP's in the back of my EL Camino - motors did draw a crowd.
Rigged them, Jim Merten Sr. loaned me some props, and away I went onto Lake Winnebago.
The boat had an aircraft style airspeed pitot and indicator - it would run 96-97 at WOT, and cruise like crazy at 85-90. I think back now I had the motors way too low.
Anyway, in 1971 after launching it off a unseen roller and managed to come down right side up, I sold the boat and motors and forgot about it. Then several years ago I ran into someone who had bought the boat from the guy I sold it to - this fellow later sold the boat to Howard Pipkorn about 1974.
Does it still exist? It went to Minnesota back then. Hope the picture comes through -

MagicFloat
04-30-2005, 12:33 PM
I love this thread. Anderson Boats is still in Cullman,AL. Bill Anderson died a few years ago. His wife and son and daughter still run the business, a large volume,well respected Merc dealer.

Tripps
04-30-2005, 06:25 PM
Just think, ifsomeone made a copy,we all could have one!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :D :D :D :D tripps

Old fiberglass
07-27-2005, 11:03 AM
The running list of wings is a good idea by Rich. I think we should also include the ones we are reasonably sure that were destroyed. This might help understand the whole picture a little better.

I did talk to a guy who race a 20 footer that out lived it's usefulness as a race boat. Soon afterwards it was turned into a "pontoon boat" and had a large portion of the deck cut/hacked off. Then it sunk in Galvuston (sp ?) Bay... ouch. I would like to talk to him again to get the T number to document it as lost.

Powercat
07-27-2005, 07:17 PM
http://www.powercatboat.com/Switzer/wing.html
Rick:
I have been trying to keep up with the running identification of the wings
from the different discussion forums as it comes up. < Link page above >
Rich started the list and I have just tried to keep it current but it is very
difficult as I have to hunt everywhere on S&F and over on BRF trying to
see who has said what and how accurate the information seems to be.
I am planning to sort thru all the photos I have collected and put them
in order using the T-#'s as a point of reference. Might help in other's
attempts at identifying the boats as they are found. The only problem
with that method is all the different T-119's and U-4's that were run ..
Oh well I will see how it goes...
Danny Leger

The running list of wings is a good idea by Rich. I think we should also include the ones we are reasonably sure that were destroyed. This might help understand the whole picture a little better. .

lilabner
07-27-2005, 09:33 PM
When you left town and drug your boat to a race in the old days, the new race may not like that number...so if you had a 114 say it might get changed to U4 or JJ4..simple..we had to do it all the time racing from Key West to Mississippi...A lot of places ran JJ and U classes and depending what motors you had on at the time you could get changed again..Look at Chucks powercat..it ran with 40..JJ40..JJ4..U40 but was always known as the 40 boat...

Old fiberglass
07-28-2005, 12:59 AM
Nice job Danny !! Capturing it all in one place is hard work and a good thing. Can we somehow list the known destroyed ones as well ??

Lilabner - Good point and info. You don't have a pair of stackers like that in your garage I could drop on my 15C PowerCat :D :D

lilabner
07-28-2005, 08:08 AM
old fiberglass

I wish I did..biggest thrill I had was driving that cat in Blue Ridge Ga for Red..they could still be made from old 800's you know:rolleyes:

Old fiberglass
07-28-2005, 10:16 AM
I'm surprised you guys who ran the stackers can still hear. Must have been fun ride though :)

Got one 800 I guess that is a start......

2us70
07-28-2005, 06:39 PM
Hey Butch! I haven't forgot you I just got jammed up with a bunch of family stuff. I will call you soon.

lilabner
07-28-2005, 08:03 PM
Hi Jim...cool..I need a 4 blade 28 anyway..has to fit a V8..plus somebody to show me how to drive a single engine V bottom over 75..haven't got the hang of it yet..used to flat bottoms and cats...you know, old dog new trick stuff...running about 78 with another 800 rpm's left over till cut off...HELP

2us70
07-29-2005, 08:57 AM
Single engine V bottoms were what I spent of my time in over the years but nothing as big as yours. If I still have the feel for it I might ba ok. 800 more revs to the limiter! That should be interesting. Jim

Richard
08-04-2005, 04:27 PM
In 1982 I purchased a swtizer from a small marina on honeoye lake in Upstate new york, Trident Marine. the owner, Jerry, was a local expert on switzer craft boats, and as I recall, there was a Switzer wing on a trailer off in the weeds near his shop. the boat had twin 150 xs motors on it ( i think). Trident ultimately closed--I think Jerry was actually a school teacher who ran the marina part-time. Don't know if that wing was his, or a customers. that marina was a real haven for all kinds of switzer craft boats and merc motors. Still a bunch of switzer boats in the finger Lakes region thanks to Trident. If there are others on this website might have a better recollection of this.

T2x
08-05-2005, 10:31 AM
I'm surprised you guys who ran the stackers can still hear. Must have been fun ride though :)

Got one 800 I guess that is a start......

Running them was not the issue........

Driving BEHIND them was the problem!

T2x

T2x
08-05-2005, 10:33 AM
In 1982 I purchased a swtizer from a small marina on honeoye lake in Upstate new york, Trident Marine. the owner, Jerry, was a local expert on switzer craft boats, and as I recall, there was a Switzer wing on a trailer off in the weeds near his shop. the boat had twin 150 xs motors on it ( i think). Trident ultimately closed--I think Jerry was actually a school teacher who ran the marina part-time. Don't know if that wing was his, or a customers. that marina was a real haven for all kinds of switzer craft boats and merc motors. Still a bunch of switzer boats in the finger Lakes region thanks to Trident. If there are others on this website might have a better recollection of this.

Whoa!!!

This one isn't on anybody's radar............ Details please!

Color......... shape(round or square?)........... any name or number markings?

Thanks,

T2x

Richard
08-05-2005, 08:15 PM
The one I remember was red and had some race markings on it. As I recall--and my age is really catching up with me--the owner of Trident Marine either raced it or preped if for someone who did, probably on the Niagara River in Buffalo, New York. Trident Mrine pretty interesting place as there were all kinds of hipo stuff there. I had the pleasure of driving to Crystal Lake Illinois to pickup my sk-185 in person. One of the Switzer brothers was unhappy with the gel coat on the boat they built for me so they scraped it and built another.Great people to do business with. Trident Marine closed its doors sometime shortly after that and I can't say what happened to all of the boats. All I remember was the owner's name was Jerry. Someone who lives in the Finger Lakes region ie Honeoye Falls, New York will know better. Trident sold a lot of boats. One of my close friends had a 16 ft.Switzer with a 150xs motor.Quite a ride!!! Every once in a while one of the more rare boats pops up for sale. A short time ago, somone was advertising a Shooting Star for sale. Someone knows about that wing.

lilabner
08-05-2005, 09:07 PM
This has got to be the best looking Wing ever built..and probably the last wood one..

gofish7070
08-06-2005, 10:50 AM
Totally agree about the prettiest wing ever built,,,,,,,,,,,,Had the opportunity to see Dave Craig fly that thing down the intercoastal during the old gold coast marathon many years ago,,,,,,,,,,,That thing was pulling away from the small plane I was in,,,,,,,,Pretty impressive for mid 60,s outboard racing boat................Gofish7070 :) :) :)

lilabner
08-06-2005, 05:03 PM
A buddy of mine who came from that area, and is the BRD factory tech rep for Fla, remembers it also..red and white..says he hasn't been up there in 15 years or so..when he comes over to help me drink some wine I'll hammer him..

Richard
08-07-2005, 10:04 AM
Well, having read Wing on a Stick, I have to conclude that the Wing owned by Bob Valachovic of Scanectaty, New York, is the Wing i saw at Trident Marine. The article shows pictures of the boat being retrived from a Marina which I believe is what used to be Trident. It is red with white numerials as I remember it although at the time, it had power on it. Sorry gentlemen, would love to have uncovered another.

Mark75H
08-07-2005, 02:34 PM
Yahoo, there is a whole thread on that Wing: Wing On a Stick Thread (http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77975&highlight=wing)

PARKER RABE
08-07-2005, 06:05 PM
:eek:

staylor
08-07-2005, 09:42 PM
In reply to the question about a wing running on the Niagara River- there was one that ran in a local race about 1985. The race was a "run what you brung" around Grand Island, roughly 26 miles. The owner of the wing was the manager of a local marina at Wilson, NY who sold Bajas. Power was 2 Merc Twisters and the owner was a pretty good driver. Problem was that this race had a lot of big offshore hulls on tap, and the Switzer had to run against them at the start for the fastest rigs- fastest boats started first in fairly loose classes. When he told me he was going to run in the race I suggested he try his darndest to cross the starting line first, or at least in line with the first boats. He didn't quite make it and crossed the starting line almost on his side. If I recall, he did finish the race in more or less one piece, but way back from the big offshore rigs. Race winner was a big cat hull running big blocks with turbos at something like 105 mph average speed. As long as you were in the lead, the water was pretty decent. As far as I know this was the only time he ever raced it. The marina closed around 1988 and I haven't seen the wing since. Might be some other WNY racers reading this who remember more about this wing and where it ended up.
Doug

Jeff Lytle
08-07-2005, 09:52 PM
You have mail.

yahoo
08-08-2005, 07:48 AM
Sorry did not know it was a secret.

T2x
08-08-2005, 09:54 AM
Well, having read Wing on a Stick, I have to conclude that the Wing owned by Bob Valachovic of Scanectaty, New York, is the Wing i saw at Trident Marine. The article shows pictures of the boat being retrived from a Marina which I believe is what used to be Trident. It is red with white numerials as I remember it although at the time, it had power on it. Sorry gentlemen, would love to have uncovered another.

Bob Valachovic's wing was recovered from a warehouse in California..... Where is had been since it's racing days...... The photos of that boat on a flat bed were taken in South Carolina, right after it arrived from the west coast. That is definitely...NOT.... the boat you are referring to.

T2x

Sunburnt
08-09-2005, 12:10 AM
Hi Guy's,

I received an Email from a Gentleman in Tennessee that has a 20' Wing (Formerly raced by his Dad). The Email came as a response to my Switzer Wing pages..

http://members.cox.net/jbowman3/switzerwing.html

He saw the Miss Diablo at the Allison reunion.

I invited him to this board so hopefully he'll reply. I'll keep everything else anonymous for now out of respect for his privacy... It sounds like he needs dimensions for a new elevon.

I was remiss in not following up sooner but hopefully he'll post soon..

Regards,

Jeff

p.s. Anyone have a pair of Stacks for My PowerCat? or a set of drawings?

Who's Going to Parker?

Mark75H
08-09-2005, 06:50 AM
Since Ron has been kind enough to offer me a seat in one of his boats for the Parker race, I'm going :D

TroyWoodF1
08-13-2005, 04:18 PM
From a trip I took to Teds in 1994

TroyWoodF1
08-13-2005, 04:20 PM
More Photos

TroyWoodF1
08-13-2005, 04:21 PM
Again

Sunburnt
08-29-2005, 01:29 PM
Ok here is another 20 to add to the list. She's located in Tennessee.

This picture is from 1993 with a pair of 150's. The present owner, (son of the gentleman shown) is restoring her and she now has a pair of 225's.

Owners name: Steve Cox

Jeff

T2x
08-29-2005, 04:17 PM
Ok here is another 20 to add to the list. She's located in Tennessee.

This picture is from 1993 with a pair of 150's. The present owner, (son of the gentleman shown) is restoring her and she now has a pair of 225's.

Owners name: Steve Cox

Jeff

Wow!! Where did that come from???? That's a lot of power for the old girl...... Er.... I mean.....ummm.....

Aw shucks.

T2x
08-29-2005, 04:45 PM
Could it be? Is it possible?

Perhaps

Perhaps......

T2x

willabee
08-30-2005, 08:29 AM
Brilliant minds really do think alike - that's exactly what I thought when I saw that pic yesterday:)
Could it be? Is it possible?

Perhaps

Perhaps......

T2x

Sunburnt
08-31-2005, 12:23 PM
The boat came from Ohio.

Purchased from Jerry Book, before him the owner was Richard Clark.

Ring any bells?

Jeff

willabee
08-31-2005, 12:58 PM
No bells for me, I don't recognize either name.
The boat came from Ohio.

Purchased from Jerry Book, before him the owner was Richard Clark.

Ring any bells?

Jeff

T2x
08-31-2005, 05:24 PM
No bells for me, I don't recognize either name.

Never heard of either one....

T2x

largecar91
09-01-2005, 03:59 PM
I know Jerry but I never knew he had a wing. Something I missed, damn! I know Jerry has a couple Allisons.

book bros marine
09-03-2005, 09:39 AM
That was my dads wing my brother and i have been trying to find it for years we even had dad looking for it before he passed away .the boat origionally had a pair of 125 bps with stacks on it .jerry guinn raced it in havasu in 69 or 70 i beleive. It was numbered T135 and was the second T135 valley supply owned If any one knows how to reach the owner please let me know.

T2x
09-08-2005, 06:29 PM
Up date........ 16 total

6. Dick Davis' Wing/Book Brothers/Valley Supply T-135 ( returned to previous owner)..............20'

16. Steve Cox Wing................................... 20'

T2x

T2x
09-08-2005, 06:34 PM
That was my dads wing my brother and i have been trying to find it for years we even had dad looking for it before he passed away .the boat origionally had a pair of 125 bps with stacks on it .jerry guinn raced it in havasu in 69 or 70 i beleive. It was numbered T135 and was the second T135 valley supply owned If any one knows how to reach the owner please let me know.

You have no doubt seen these pictures........... This wing is numbered T-135... with Valley Supply...... on the side.

Dick Davis had it a few months ago and then returned it to the previous owner.

T2x

Powercat
09-08-2005, 06:48 PM
Here is one of the photos of it where you can see the number
and the Valley lettering..

You have no doubt seen these pictures........... This wing is numbered T-135... with Valley Supply...... on the side.

Dick Davis had it a few months ago and then returned it to the previous owner.

T2x

RBT
09-09-2005, 08:07 AM
Where is the wing in Canada?

RT

book bros marine
09-10-2005, 12:43 PM
The wing Steve Cox has was my dads boat not the one Dick Davis had .The one Dick Davis had was Valley Supply's first wing it was numbered T135 it was replaced by the orange one my dad had which Steve Cox has and it too was numbered T135. I know the guy who raced the black one "Dave Sparks" and the guy who raced the orange one " Jerry Guinn" they both live within a mile of me. We also have several pictures of both boats . There is nothing like riding in one of them expecially with a pair of stackers on the back

Mark75H
09-11-2005, 08:17 PM
Here's another picture of the rare Dutchman Wing from Ron Hill:

willabee
09-12-2005, 09:25 AM
That's the yellow one I had referenced earlier on this thread. The one Petty, Ridgell, Vickers, etc. drove at Parker. You said rare, the black one that Schoonover drove ( pictured on this thread ) and this one are the only two I've ever seen.
Isn't that Lanham's 18' in the background?
Here's another picture of the rare Dutchman Wing from Ron Hill:

Old fiberglass
10-27-2005, 11:49 AM
The Red Adair boat was actually the first wing on a stick. Lee Richter was the driver and owned a Mercury dealership. He didn't care for the 20 foot Switzer wing like most folks who actually raced them back in the day. Anyway once the wing out lived it's useful race life Lee put it on a sign for his dealership.

A mechanic who was working for Lee saw how much money Lee was making and decided to start his own dealership. So the mechanic following Lee's lead acquired a 18' wing that went up on a Pearland Marine sign that John has now.

When Lee sold his dealership the 20 foot wing was taken down and Red Adair wanted it back. Red gave it to one of his worker bees and it was hacked into a fishing boat and sunk in Galveston Bay.

Lee is 89 years old and a hoot to talk to, but can't hear very well. He was a WWII B-26 bomber pilot and still pissed they didn't let him fly P-51's. He told a story about almost punching out Carl Kiekhaefer because he wouldn't give him a racing prop. Those were the days....

He also talked about the how tight the outboard factories were with their equipment. Another story was he was racing at Havasu and a Mercury (??) factory racer flipped his boat over and was knocked out face down. Lee stopped got the guy out of the water and made sure he was ok. Then went on to finish the race. Basically Lee saved his life. Anyway months later Lee needed a prop and went to the factory Mercury, (??) racer dude to see if he could get one. The guy said he had one, but couldn't give it to him because he would lose his job if he did. Hummm....

Books Marine - I sent you a PM with a story or two about your dads boat if your out there.

Sunburnt
10-27-2005, 12:40 PM
You going to share any of those stories with the rest of us Rick?

Jeff

blkmtrfan
10-27-2005, 02:11 PM
You going to share any of those stories with the rest of us Rick?

Jeff

Yes we all love that stuff :cool:

SCT
10-27-2005, 04:21 PM
A couple of questions:

-Tell me about the 2 Wings in the private collection in Dayton, OH. I know Bill Petty is from just north of Dayton in Wapakonata, OH (home town of Neil Armstrong), is it his collection?

-What's the "guestimate" on how many Wings that are out there undiscovered?

I can't wait to see a restored one run again.

Thanx-

SCT

T2x
10-28-2005, 08:16 AM
A couple of questions:

-Tell me about the 2 Wings in the private collection in Dayton, OH. I know Bill Petty is from just north of Dayton in Wapakonata, OH (home town of Neil Armstrong), is it his collection?

-What's the "guestimate" on how many Wings that are out there undiscovered?

I can't wait to see a restored one run again.

Thanx-

SCT

The collection is near Dayton...but definitely not BIll Petty's..... There has been confirmation of at least one of these...and Jon Culver told me about the other(s) I believe there are 3 in that collection.

I think we are getting down to the last ones to be discovered.

T2x

Old fiberglass
10-28-2005, 11:14 AM
There are around ~ 20 wings accounted for. Looking at some of the later 20 foot wing serial numbers. I believe the "fiberglass" wing production numbers were in the high 50's. Could be wrong but that is my best guess. Doing some quick math probably half of the wings aren't accounted for dead or alive. So, yes there are more to be found.

Most of the survivors appear to be the 20 footers. The 18 footers got rode hard and put away wet greatly decreasing their life span. To date no wood ones have publicly surfaced.

Old fiberglass
11-01-2005, 11:34 PM
Talked to Lee again. He was friends with Red Adair since before WWII, so they were pretty tight. I am supposed to be getting a picture of his 20 footer up on his dealership sign. I asked him if he knew where the Pearland 18' came from and he said, "no". He was sure it wasn't Red's because he never had a 18'. Red bought the 20 footer specially for Lee to race. Knowing how Lee felt, (not good) about the 20' if Red Adair had a 18' Lee would have been racing it.

I recently got a poor copy of his 20' racing and off to the side of the picture is a 18' with a emblem on the front between the sponsons. He said he was pretty sure that is the boat the was the one that ended up on the Pearland sign, but couldn't remember who's it was. The previous Pearland owner who put it up there is dead and his partner hasn't been heard from in years.

He told me another story about PowerCats and the Bay of Pigs. One day a CIA dude meet up with him and asked him if he was ever in the military and Lee replied yes I'm in the reserves and was a lieutenant coronal in the military when active. The guy looks at his ID and starts talking. He showed Lee a shot up 20' PowerCat with a BAR mounted on the deck. He asked him to cover the boat up and said he would pay him $600 to haul the boat back down to Key West Fla from Galveston TX, which he did.

The story goes the CIA was paying people $500 to make the run from Key West to Cuba at night to pick up and drop people off. According to him this was roughly a 180 mile round trip..... very risky. The front sponsons of the cats were turned into large gas tanks to make the run. Lee figured fully loaded the cats would run 40 MPH tops... not good odds. Anyway the boat that showed up in Galveston got shot up by the Cubans, but made it out of harms way. The boat ran out of gas, (holes in the sponson tanks) in the gulf where it was picked up by a freighter and taken into Galveston Bay. The CIA wasn't too happy when the story got leaked in the Galveston papers before they could stop it, so there might be some proof of this story.

Lee claimed he never made the run.... didn't like the odds.

largecar91
11-02-2005, 06:28 AM
"The plot thickens". :D

T2x
11-02-2005, 09:52 AM
Let's leave the Mercereau story alone..... He was very well respected, and this story doesn't need a lot of intrigue nor speculation. He has at least one living relative who is active with Mercury Marine...and this is a very personal situation...no matter how long ago it happened.

None of us knows the specifics...so let's not create any unnecessary speculation or pain.

Thanks

T2x

Old fiberglass
11-02-2005, 10:07 AM
Ok, done

Powercat
11-08-2005, 09:19 AM
Miles Threlkeld, son of Ernest Threlkeld, sent me some photos of
the 3 different Switzer Wings that his dad raced. I have posted
the good ones in the Racing History Gallery. He says that the
black/silver 18ft was destroyed at the Norristown, PA time trials.
The red/silver 18ft was returned to Mercury in 1971 but that
the 20ft Red wing was sold off, current whereabouts unknown...
I love this photo below as it shows how level the wings would
fly even in the rough stuff.
Danny Leger

blkmtrfan
11-08-2005, 11:00 AM
Powercat you are not kidding about that being a cool pic :cool: :cool: :cool:

Patrick Foster
11-08-2005, 02:58 PM
Where is the wing in Canada?

RTMy guess is that the Canadian Wing is in or near Alymer Quebec. The owner of that wing was a guy named Eddie Doyatte his son Ray was still active in racing a few years back. Eddie was a good friend of Andy Savard who was an amazing driver in his own right. The wing that Eddie had was a 20 footer powered by a pair of 1250 bps. I never saw it run in any sanctioned events but have good memories of running against it in what we called wildcat or outlaw regattas that took place here in the Ottawa Valley. His wing was named Thunderball and was black and gold in colour. I remember having it right behind me going into a corner it was pretty intimidating that thing looked like it was the size of a house coming after you. It was pretty good on the straights and in rough water but did not turn very well. The outlaw races were always a blast ususally there would be a collection of sanctioned boats from the sportscraft and stock outboard divisions and an assortment of pleasure boats. No money just trophies and lots of fun!

T2x
11-08-2005, 03:35 PM
I have just received confirmation that Barry Cohen gave his wing away in the late 60's....... to a kid at Del Bliss Marine in Brewerton, NY......It was a 1963 wooden hull....major loss.

Up date........ 15 total

6. Dick Davis' Wing/Book Brothers/Valley Supply T-135 ( returned to previous owner)..............20'

14. Wing in New Mexico rigged with 2 x 65's.....18'

15. Steve Cox Wing................................... 20'

T2x

rnelems
11-08-2005, 07:43 PM
Possibly the most awesome photo available currently.How can I get it for my wallpaper? I'm computer stupid. :rolleyes:

4-MULA-V
11-08-2005, 09:28 PM
Absolutely , I agree super photo

Jeff Lytle
11-08-2005, 09:32 PM
Possibly the most awesome photo available currently.How can I get it for my wallpaper? I'm computer stupid. :rolleyes:

Right click on image, scroll down to save as background, select by left clicking. That should do it.

Backfire
11-09-2005, 11:53 PM
One we are trying to find-for years, belonged to John Taylor "Taylor's Cleaners" here in Hot Springs. Last known to have been given to Richard Vickers in the '70's who never raced it and finally gave it away to somebody who wanted to make a yard planter. Never seen or heard of again. I'll try to dig out a picture. He also raced a Power Cat with twin Merc with Parker hsgs.
Backfire ;)

WATERWINGS
11-17-2005, 12:14 PM
HERE I AM..........you've found me..............

Oh....wait.........different kind of "WINGS" :o :rolleyes:

JFL
11-29-2005, 04:45 PM
Boat # U 4, Black and gold
Engines, 2 Merc 1250 stacks
Net wt, 1000#
Transom Ht. L21 1/2 R21 5/8
Gear ratio 14:12, Speed masters overdrive
Props 9 3/4x21, 2 Bld cleaver, slip 14.5 %
C.L length, 18' beam 96
Load, 325, 65 LB battery on rt side
Speed, 118.989
RPM, 6000+
wind, 0-3 Water flat, Baro 29.92 temp 74, R.H.92
Course, west kilo
Driver, Schoonover

T2x
11-29-2005, 05:27 PM
Net wt, 1000#
C.L length, 18' beam 96
Speed, 118.989
RPM, 6000+
Course, west kilo
Driver, Schoonover

Okay....

looks like the old Lake X Speed data sheets have resurfaced.

If memory serves that was the fastest speed recorded by a Wing on the Lake.

Although I have never seen the sheets on Miss Skyway...or the original U-4

T2x

Mark75H
11-29-2005, 06:35 PM
Net wt, 1000#
C.L length, 18' beam 96
Speed, 118.989
RPM, 6000+
Course, west kilo
Driver, Schoonover

What is the date?

JFL
11-29-2005, 06:51 PM
7-8-68

JFL
11-29-2005, 09:03 PM
Look familiar?
Probably will post more , and we'll see who pops up

lilabner
11-29-2005, 10:47 PM
On 12/31/61 John Bakos drove the U-4 re-numbered as U-357 to an APBA OPC kilo record of 80.493 mph..He had 6 runs to get this speed with all the Lake X crew working on the boat..The rest of us peons were only allowed 3 runs, which were how the rules were written..Jon Culver also had 6 chances in his Power Cat and ran 76.217..It has been pretty well documented in quite a few publications...There were Lake X boats cutting across the course making wakes on a lot of runs, including my last one..I almost blew over in my Raveau, but wasn't allowed to re-register like the golden two...funny how you can remember stuff like that 44 years later...

lilabner
11-29-2005, 11:02 PM
Sam, you have the collection of stuff supreme...In a May 1961 magazine there was a big article on the 6 hour race at Kissimmee, and another with an interview of Chuck Mersereau explaining how he set up his Power Cat with 800 speedmasters..There are also some pictures of his special yellow Bubble Cat with 6 pipers on it..I never saw this boat anywhere but Lake X..In the picture you can see it didn't have an afterplane on it either..Some of the members might like to read this article..I only can find 3 pages of it..I used to have it all..the stackers were on page 79..hope you can find it.

Butch

2us70
11-30-2005, 07:24 PM
Butch,I was just about to start a search party for you. Since Wilma you have been among the missing around here. Hope you guys didn't take too bad a hit I'll drop by soon.
Jim

bernie
11-30-2005, 08:39 PM
Could this be the JFL I know and love so dearly - looks like Sherlock figured you out - you are my mentor and roll model in life - oh wait - that's what Travis always says -

lilabner
12-01-2005, 09:25 PM
going to Lake Placid AOMCI meet saturday..taking the Velocity..Olegator's gonna show this flat bottom boy a thing or 2...comeon up...

Butch

2us70
12-02-2005, 11:59 AM
Wish I could. I am on dog sitting duty for both my sons. You and Olegator are sure to have a great time. The weather should be perfect for running the Velocity.
Jim

T2x
12-28-2005, 10:57 AM
T2x, I Just Got Ahold Of My Friend With The 3 Wings ( Finally). He Confirmed That He Has 2- 18' Switzer Wings And 1-20' Switzer Wing. They Are In Storage Now But I Will Stay In Touch With Him And I Will Get Pictures And History Of The Boats. He Did Say That One Of The 18 Footers Came From The Seattle Area If That Helps Narrow Down Anything About It's History. Barry (PS, HE GAVE ME THIS INFO AND WILL LET ME GET PICS ONLY IF NO ONE ,ASSUMING ANYONE KNOWS WHO HE IS, DOESN'T TRY TO CONTACT HIM. THANKS)

Understood........ His secret is safe.

T2x

Bob V
01-09-2006, 06:00 PM
I have been reading this form with great interest for some time now and this is my first post. I got hooked on power boats back in 1963 ( I think, but that was a while ago so don't hold me to it. We lived in Rye in Westchester County, New York and there was a wealthy eccentric, Tommy Holmes, that probably had more money than sense. I was only 10 year old at the time so not much made sense to me back then. What I do know is that he had an early production Power Cat. It was a wood hull with fiberglass overlay. On the stern, it sported twin white and black Merc 800s. When you are a 10 year old, look up at those 6 cylinder 800's is like looking up at the Empire State building. They must have been twice as tall as I was, or at least they looked that way. Anyway, he used to take that cat out and run wide open along the shore and it seem like it had to be at a world record speed. In reality, it was probably about 45 to 50 mph, but it sure was fast back then. The 800's, although stock, had a sound similar to the Twister 1's that came out several years later. Bottom line, I was hooked. In 1968, I flew down to Clearwater, Florida to spend some time with my Dad. I had never seen a power boat race until that trip. Right in Clearwater Bay the top racers from all over the country had come to race. I got to see inboards; Super Stock, SK's, and Grand Nationals along with outboards. The outboards were tunnel hulls and the run of the mill production hulls with the exception of two boats that really caught my attention. They were something that I had never seen before. They looked like two fighter jet cockpits joined by a center wing. I soon learned that these were called Switzer Wings. One, El Lobo, was metal flake gold and sported twin Chrysler 135 Stackers. The other, Firebird, was red and black and sported twin Merc 135 Stackers. Although the race was a marathon and all classes ran together that day, my eyes only saw those Switzer wings. I watched those two winged things do battle side by side for hours. I have yet to hear anything that sounded quite as intense as those four stacker engines running wide open side by side. I eventually went on to race myself, first in a SJ Van Wagoner tunnel with a Merc 150, and then a UJ Al Martin tunnel, running both T1's and T2's. After breaking my back twice along with many other body parts, I switched to inboard flatbottoms. I made the natural progression from SS to SK and finally to KRR. It was a wonderful ride and I have never had any regrets, other than the aches and pains that I live with, but I still get excited when I think about those Switzer Wings with a set of stackers...I hope that someone out there, besides myself, remembers those two awesome wings. Thanks for the memories...Bob

lilabner
01-09-2006, 08:04 PM
The Firebird you saw was probably Redbird..Gene Lanham..I don't remember El Lobo running Chryslers, but I was wrong once last year...

lilabner
01-10-2006, 09:11 AM
Key West was my favorite race..nice folks and lots of fun..
Does this count as being wrong the first time in 2006?

2us70
01-10-2006, 05:46 PM
I remember hearing that the "El Lobo" wing was wrecked and sank in Smith Mountain Lake not too long after the Chrysler guys got it from Jock. I think one of the guys was named Jerry and he or they had dealership in Pompano on US-1.

Bob V
01-10-2006, 05:55 PM
I forgot in my last post to think all of you that for the wonderful memories of the Switzer Wings. Concerning my last post, I really think that the second wing was named Firebird rather than Redbird. I remember that because it had a small picture of a Firebird on it's sides that was copied from the newly released Pontiac car, the Firebird. The old course here in Clearwater, Florida had a very long straight chute and those two drivers of those Switzer Wings would get total daylight under those hulls before setting them back in the water to make the turn. Hats off to those guys...

T2x
01-11-2006, 06:13 PM
I forgot in my last post to think all of you that for the wonderful memories of the Switzer Wings. Concerning my last post, I really think that the second wing was named Firebird rather than Redbird. I remember that because it had a small picture of a Firebird on it's sides that was copied from the newly released Pontiac car, the Firebird. The old course here in Clearwater, Florida had a very long straight chute and those two drivers of those Switzer Wings would get total daylight under those hulls before setting them back in the water to make the turn. Hats off to those guys...

Another "Believer"

Welcome to our group.

T2x

mike farmer
01-29-2006, 02:58 PM
do any of you think a wing with a pair of v 6s could beat arnisons record from narlins to st louis i think he averaged 89 mph for 1000 plus miles

Powercat
01-29-2006, 03:26 PM
That would be cool to put the record back in the hands of an
outboard... Planing the fuel stops, avoiding damage and break
downs, and just navigating the river chanel at speed makes it
a true challenge...
[ link to article about Arneson's record follows below]
http://www.howardarneson.com/articles/fireonmiss.asp

lilabner
04-15-2006, 09:19 PM
Still some out there...........

Bob V
04-16-2006, 06:31 AM
Is this the proverbial "needle in the hay stack" or a" diamond in the rough?" Any idea which one this is and where is it located? Does anyone know if Ted ever sold his wing? Happy Easter to all those good eggs out there....Bob

Old fiberglass
04-16-2006, 11:22 AM
Looks like Butch is on a different type of Easter Egg hunt. Could this be Kenny's black 20 foot X-199 ??

SCT
04-20-2006, 06:40 PM
LilAbner,

So what's the scoop on the pix? Did you find another "Wing" on a prayer?

SCT

PARKER RABE
04-20-2006, 06:57 PM
no chit , whats the deal , where is that thing ???

MagicFloat
05-09-2006, 08:02 PM
Without beating a dead horse,anyone have any late word on "Ted's Wing"?I know there are some strong feelings pro and con about it,but it is a piece of history that should not fade away. Someone needs to buy it and run it.

2us70
05-09-2006, 09:48 PM
I stopped in there a couple of months ago and it was covered up way in the back of his shop. It looks to me that it would take a while just to extricate it from there. I was only able to see part of the boat from where I was standing. Ted has a lot of cool stuff in that shop.

Sparks
05-02-2007, 09:43 PM

T2x
the boat in the pic is the was originally owned by Vally Supply in portsmouth ohio and driven by my dad Dave Sparks , and i would love to get my hands on it. any info i could get on this would be great, cause i have lots of old merc racing stuff , to hang on the back of it if it is worth fixing

Old fiberglass
05-02-2007, 10:09 PM
It's in rough shape.....been sitting in a field in for the last 20-30 years. Owner claims he is going to static restore. Not sure if that is going to happen or not. Wasn't the black Valley Supply 135 faster that the Book/Cox red 20 which turned better ??

Do know where another black 20 footer with the originial owner. Will take 20K to break him loose of it. Needs work like the all do.

P.S - Sent you an email which you never replied to.

Sparks
05-02-2007, 10:26 PM
i just got your email , im going to change my email my son has that email flooded

moparbarn
05-10-2007, 11:22 AM
if anybody is willing to supply some dimensions and photos of an 18' wing, i would love to build an r/c wing. twin k&b 3.5's, third channel for the aileron. or just measurements where i could scale existing photos. will sign a legal document about no full size repro, sharing info, or production for sale. i just want a small one for me. anyone willing to help?

AIRWALK

Powercat
10-28-2007, 11:06 AM
http://www.powercatboat.com/Switzer/Davis/dd.html
Some recent photos of the T-135 20ft Switzer wing
back in its final resting place in Minn. Go to the link
above.
Danny Leger

Bob V
10-28-2007, 02:27 PM
...Some recent photos of the T-135 20ft Switzer wing
back in its final resting place in Minn. Danny Leger

Danny.... Why did Dick have to return the boat after negotiating the sale for so long? There has got to be an interesting story here.

Nevertheless...It is a shame to see that wing sitting out there going to waste. Can it be purchased or is it's destiny to forever decay in that bone yard? :eek:

Powercat
10-29-2007, 09:30 AM
Bob:
I don't know the whole story, other than the impression I was given is that
the guy that has the boat is not playing with a full deck. The type of person
that collects junk as an obsession often has this syndrome. Some of us more
than others.
Danny

Old fiberglass
10-29-2007, 10:29 AM
Boat has been in the same spot for 20 + years, so don't think there is/was a legal issue. Talked to the owner a while back and he was going to "static" restore the wing. It's in pretty rough shape. Almost everything is usually for sale if you throw enough $$$ at it ......

Hippie459MN
04-29-2010, 09:53 AM
Well, here are some current pictures I snapped the other day of T-135 while going to look at a couple hydrostreams. This guy had about 50 boats at his place and was willing to talk about most of them but he said he might let it go but didnt want to talk a whole lot about it but is very interested in them and I told him I know some other that have a few that are restored and he was all ears. Of course they are the ones I have seen here and followed. I must say, I really am wanting to follow these a bit more and I am going to try to find out any details I can on this boat but I cant promise anything.

These were taken at his residence in Elk River/Nowthen MN on April 28th 2010

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f91/Hippie459MN/vintage_raceboat/IMAG0403.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f91/Hippie459MN/vintage_raceboat/IMAG0404.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f91/Hippie459MN/vintage_raceboat/IMAG0405.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f91/Hippie459MN/vintage_raceboat/IMAG0417.jpg

Enjoy the pictures and I will try to keep everyone updated on any more info or anything I can get from this guy.

mark benson
04-30-2010, 02:21 AM
# 3 20-ft Switzer John Taylor-George Robinson 2 Mercury 140's
# 4 20-ft Dutchman Jan Schoonover 2 Mercury 140's
# 17 17-ft Dutchman Ronald Boice- 2 Mercury 140's
# 23 19-ft Switzer Gene Lanham- 2 Mercury 155's
# 31 20-ft Dutchman Denis & Dewey Berghauer 2 Evindude X-115's :cheers:
# 72 23-ft De Silva Tom Roth-Jerry Simonson 2 Chrysler 135's
# 96 17-ft De Silva Rick Esposito 2 Evinrude X-115's
# 98 20-ft Switser Lee Richter-Boots Hansen 2 Mercury 155's
# 108 20-ft Switzer William Flag 2 Mercury 155's
# 111 21-ft De Silva Jim Welsh & Warren Thompson 2 Mercury 155's
# 119 19-Ft Switzer Kenny Kitson 2 Mercury 155's
# 131 21-ft Duthman Bill Willes- Jack Brair 2 Evinrude X-115's
# 135 20-ft Switzer Dave Sparks-Jerry Quinn 2 Mercury 155's
# 140 18-ft Switzer Bobby Massey 2 Mercury 155's
# 199 19-Ft Switzer Ed Sterwert- Don Edmonson 2 Mercury 155's
# 333 20-ft Switzer Bob Nordskog- Carl Asmus 2 Johnson 140's
# 414 17-ft Switzer Bob Best 2 Mercury 140's
# 688 20-ft Switzer Alan Stinson- Ernest Threlkeld 2 Mercury 140's
# 871 20-ft Dutchman Doc Appleton 2 Mercury 155's
#1111 17-ft Switzer John Fox- Bob Allen 2 Mercury 1000 BP's

Mark75H
04-30-2010, 07:13 AM
I don't think a 17 ft Dutchman qualifies as a Wing ... I think it s a regular tunnel like a Schulze or Molinari

I suspect the 17 ft Switzers may have not been Wings as well ... and the 17 ft DeSilva

T2x
04-30-2010, 07:36 AM
# 3 20-ft Switzer John Taylor-George Robinson 2 Mercury 140's
# 4 20-ft Dutchman Jan Schoonover 2 Mercury 140's... probably a Dutchman tunnel...not a wing
# 17 17-ft Dutchman Ronald Boice- 2 Mercury 140's...not a wing
# 23 19-ft Switzer Gene Lanham- 2 Mercury 155's
# 31 20-ft Dutchman Denis & Dewey Berghauer 2 Evindude X-115's ...probably a Dutchman tunnel...not a wing# 72 23-ft De Silva Tom Roth-Jerry Simonson 2 Chrysler 135's
# 96 17-ft De Silva Rick Esposito 2 Evinrude X-115's
# 98 20-ft Switser Lee Richter-Boots Hansen 2 Mercury 155's
# 108 20-ft Switzer William Flag 2 Mercury 155's
# 111 21-ft De Silva Jim Welsh & Warren Thompson 2 Mercury 155's
# 119 19-Ft Switzer Kenny Kitson 2 Mercury 155's
# 131 21-ft Duthman Bill Willes- Jack Brair 2 Evinrude X-115's.....probably a Dutchman tunnel...not a wing
# 135 20-ft Switzer Dave Sparks-Jerry Quinn 2 Mercury 155's
# 140 18-ft Switzer Bobby Massey 2 Mercury 155's
# 199 19-Ft Switzer Ed Sterwert- Don Edmonson 2 Mercury 155's
# 333 20-ft Switzer Bob Nordskog- Carl Asmus 2 Johnson 140's
# 414 17-ft Switzer John Fox- Robert Allen 2 Mercury 100's not a wing
# 688 20-ft Switzer Alan Stinson- Ernest Threlkeld 2 Mercury 140's
# 871 20-ft Dutchman Doc Appleton 2 Mercury 155's ....probably a Dutchman tunnel...not a wing
#1111 17-ft Switzer John Fox- Bob Allen 2 Mercury 100's same boat as 414 above

see corrections above......in red

North Island
04-30-2010, 10:18 AM
N.W. entries, '69 LHC,

#414 18ft Wing , "Jelly Bean" , Bob Best.
#1111 ? is a 17ft Vee Switzer 2 100 BP's , John Fox, not the 414.

T2x
04-30-2010, 01:00 PM
N.W. entries, '69 LHC,

#414 18ft Wing , "Jelly Bean" , Bob Best.
#1111 ? is a 17ft Vee Switzer 2 100 BP's , John Fox, not the 414.

The 414 and the 1111 were described identically in the earlier post, please correct the list.

T2x
05-21-2010, 07:57 AM
Ttttttt

mark benson
05-21-2010, 12:33 PM

T- 108 was driven by William Carl Flagg, Denison,Texas; co-driver H.L. Flagg, Dallas, Texas. It was a 20ft with dual Mercury 155hp's
# 333 was driven by Bob Nordskog, Tarsana, California; co-driver Carl Asmus, Sherman Oaks, California. It was a white 20ft with dual Johnson 140hp's Bob owned Powerboat Mag. & Carl was one of the writers.:cheers:

mark benson
05-21-2010, 01:12 PM
That's the yellow one I had referenced earlier on this thread. The one Petty, Ridgell, Vickers, etc. drove at Parker. You said rare, the black one that Schoonover drove ( pictured on this thread ) and this one are the only two I've ever seen.
Isn't that Lanham's 18' in the background?
# 198 red wing is the racing numbers of Bill Olney, Montebello, California; co-driver Steve Olney

mark benson
05-21-2010, 01:42 PM
At the 1969 Havasu Outboard World Championships # T-135 was driven by Dave Sparks, Friendship, Ohio; co-driver Jerry Guinn, Portsmouth, Ohio. It had dual Mercury 125 BP Stackers for power. It can be see in the Video- 1969 Havasu Outboard World Championships - Day 1 which is on this page.:cheers: