PDA

View Full Version : Oldies but goodies

Sunburnt
01-27-2005, 02:08 AM
Hi Guy's,

Thought I would post a couple of Pic's of my newly acquired SSM's that are going on my Powercat project. She's a 1960 15C with a pair of 61 700's converted from FGS.

I'll be doing the boat in all white with a red stripe. The Pictures of Chuck M. are my inspiration..

Did any of you gents ever run this particular combination?

I'm knee deep in the boat now and Danny at http://www.powercatboat.com was nice enough to chronicle my progress thus far. I still have a long long way to go, but its really starting to get exciting!!

http://www.powercatboat.com/Group/JBowman/JBowman.html

Regards,
Jeff

Sunburnt
01-27-2005, 02:17 AM
These have to be the Greatest pictures of a PowerCat I have ever seen..!! :D

Can you say FREEDOM!!

It just doesn't get any better than that!!

Jeff

Dukeofchippewa
01-27-2005, 07:39 AM
Lookin good, let's see them on the boar.:D

Mark75H
01-27-2005, 08:16 AM
Excellent! :)

LakeRacer99
01-27-2005, 10:03 AM
Hey Jeff...The project looks like it is coming along great. I have been checking it out over at fiberglassics.

I am curious if anyone has ran a SSM under a dockwrecker powerhead? Will an SSM fit or do you have to adapt. I was thinking it would be cool to have an SSM application and get reverse also...:)

Mark75H
01-27-2005, 10:10 AM
You have to use an 80hp or a 70 with the crankshaft out of a FGS 70 and you have to use a FGS mid for the correct fit for the SSM. You can adapt it in other ways, but these pieces fit directly and neatly, direct bolt up.

All inline Speedmasters, including Supers have the DR water pump. Some have only CW water pump plate, but you can open the CCW passage and add the check valves.

The first Speedmasters were intended to run in the "reverse" required classes back in 1961 (first year for Speedmaster and the last year for DR) so many have been run like that. You could even adapt a DR starter and linkage to a 100 hp power head.

Mark75H
01-27-2005, 10:21 AM
The biggest pain in the butt will be props. Very few SSM props less than 15 (80 mph) most are 17-20. Don't lug your old 6!

Sunburnt
01-27-2005, 11:04 AM
Hi Sam,

Dick has some 15's 16's and 17's in stock that we will use for testing. These are counter rotating units.. If we need to go to a little bigger powerhead in the future then thats what we'll do.. Shooting for 55 to 5800 RPM.

Dick is moving to Arizona in April of 06 and will have retired from Boat building by then. After that it will be just playing with motors.

His Scotts spin 15's and 16's with no problem altho as you know, they run a little less gear..

Fingers are crossed..

Jeff

T2x
01-27-2005, 06:44 PM
We created a four engine Conquest 32' offshore cat in 1984 with 4 v-6 IOGP engines. We ran the 12" race housings and race engineering made various adaptors for the engines to lengthen the shafts. The rules in those days required forward and reverse so we raided the outboard collection at the Lake...and swiped a DR starter from an 800 in line. Engineering rigged up a switch that reversed the ignition....and Voila!...we had the world's only DR champ motor.

The problem was the engine was only supposed to start in reverse to pass inspection....(the water pump issue)...but at the boat's third race ...a very well known throttleman...who shall remain nameless...started the engine in reverse while moving out to test....unwittingly. Since three were pushing forward...and one the other way...the boat went forward...albeit sluggishly.....so....the more balky it seemed...the more throttle he applied....until the D/R engine cowl neatly melted around the powerhead...like a rubber glove.......

End of project.

T2x

T2x
01-28-2005, 12:58 PM
Here you go...... one of those motors was a "dockbuster".

T2x

Powercat
02-20-2005, 10:18 PM
Jeff's motors are all together with the counter rating SSM's and
solid motor mounts all in place...